Partick Thistle V Motherwell

The thought of Moult against our "couldn't keep weans out a close" defence -

image.jpeg

Would gladly take a repeat of last season's scenes at Firhill when we won a diabolical game 1-0 with virtually the last kick. We're already under a bit of pressure, so any win will do.

Our record against Motherwell at Firhill is generally very good. 

Hoping to see a bit more of this at full-time...

image.jpeg

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'd be nice to actually turn up, put in a performance and win at Firhill for once as our recent visits have been eye bleedingly bad.

Obviously there are a number of positives we can take from yesterday's performance. We look to have an XI and shape that we could work with. Bowman seems to offer an option up front that we've not had in years in that he's a fairly mobile, physical striker with a bit of presence who can allow Moult to just get on with being Moult and McDonald to drop off and get into positions between the lines while in Cadden there's an effective out ball that can get us up the park.

The fear I suppose is that McGhee decides to overthink things again, hearing him say that we may change things up for away games makes sense if we're going to Parkhead, Pittodrie or Tynecastle but you'd hope that he'd allow the team to build on the Accies performance at Firhill. I could see Bowman keeping Devine & Lindsay occupied and I don't see either Moult or McDonald being benched so I'd hope we'd start the same XI.

For all the positives our defence is still a total shambles wracked by poor communication, indecision and hamstrung by a goalkeeper who is seemingly averse to catching the ball and shows no willingness to command his area.

Having seen the way Crawford ran things at times for Accies I'd imagine Erskine would fancy his chances in similar sort of areas.

Much like yesterday I think a lot of how things go for us will depend on how we start. It'd be nice if we could get into the sort of position where it'd allow McGhee to feel comfortable enough to give some of the guys that we've barely had a look at this season some minutes off the bench such as Lucas, Belic, Thomas, MacLean or depending on his fitness Blyth.

McGhee to f**k about with the formation and selection. Thistle to win 1-0 despite having half a team missing. 

Samson error to lead to goal (by Lawless).

It'll rain too. 

Back to earth with a bump for Motherwell, sadly. 

Have I missed anything?

1 hour ago, 18May1991 said:

McGhee to f**k about with the formation and selection. Thistle to win 1-0 despite having half a team missing. 

Samson error to lead to goal (by Lawless).

It'll rain too. 

Back to earth with a bump for Motherwell, sadly. 

Have I missed anything?

Yes.  A player wrongly sent off and a key player suffering an early injury.     

2 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

A presumably unfit Barton and either Welsh, Edwards or Wilson in midfield should be just great at helping out our shambles of a back four.

This is giving me the fear of another 5-1 absolute doing. At least we don't have Gabriel Picollo anymore.

I was walking along the front of the North Stand at 4-1 that day, heading for the exit.

I glanced up and watched what can only be described as Piccolo jumping up for a ball as if he was riding an invisible horse only for him to miss it completely, allowing John Sutton to smash it in for 5-1.

I was walking along the front of the North Stand at 4-1 that day, heading for the exit.

I glanced up and watched what can only be described as Piccolo jumping up for a ball as if he was riding an invisible horse only for him to miss it completely, allowing John Sutton to smash it in for 5-1.

My prevailing memory is that it was when taylor-Sinclair was being linked to Celtic and, coincidently I'm sure, looking like he couldn't be arsed.

Someone shouted "f**k off to Celtic then" or something and he looked up at the stand as if we'd all collectively took a shite on his maws face.

Scully showed up well at Rugby Park but still lost his customary two goals.

Can we score three? Unlikely.

Too many players off the boil at the moment for us. 

I'd probably take a shitfest of a nil nil draw if offered right now.

2 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

A presumably unfit Barton and either Welsh, Edwards or Wilson in midfield should be just great at helping out our shambles of a back four.

This is giving me the fear of another 5-1 absolute doing. At least we don't have Gabriel Picollo anymore.

That still ranks as one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen - but it was also one of my favourite away games in recent years as we had a huge travelling support that day and the atmosphere was brilliant...

I crawled out my sick bed that day as we'd done OK over the previous couple of games IIRC, was back in bed for 5pm.

Unless Barton turns out to be amazing I fear the worst for Saturday. Suppose we could take a similar approach to the Hearts game and just go baws oot and hope we can win 5-4.

lol beat accies 4-2 = Europe, still it's better than saying we're just looking to avoid relegation I suppose. Thistle 1-0 seems likely, but with thistle fans thoughts on their defense and Moult back we've got every change of getting something

1 hour ago, capt_oats said:

Oooooft. Motherwell players in the press talking about Europe now...nailed on Thistle win.

Ah, Jesus.  Who was it?

This is like Hammell or Lasley getting rolled out every December talking about how much winning the Scottish Cup would be great for the club and would be the perfect way to end their career at the club... before getting fucked out at the first available opportunity.  

Archived