Partick Thistle V Motherwell

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Apparently Moult never trained much last week due to tweaking his hamstring after standing on a child's toy :lol:

Heard that and laughed. It's up there with Canizares missing a World Cup after dropping a bottle of aftershave on his foot and Rio Ferdinand straining a muscle watching telly.

7 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Played the same team as last week but you wouldn't have known it.  Our performance was the exact opposite.  No urgency, no pressing, no aggression, no pace, no movement, we were absolute garbage. 

Yes, but we only played for 30 minutes last week.  For the last hour or so we simply weren't in the game.

Going solely from the highlights, how did that game finish 1-1? Both teams should have scored a few more.

I don't know how the linesperson got the first Mcdonald goal wrong as he doesn't look offside at any point. Shit happens.

I'm encouraged that we're still creating chances despite not playing well.

41 minutes ago, MJC said:

It was a good point considering how awful we were so can't complain about getting it.

We really need to sort out the defence and midfield though, utterly appalling again.

It's easy to forget that our main midfield signing of the summer is sitting at home with a sore head after his massive gash. I think if you add McHugh into our current team, we'd see a big improvement.

It's easy to forget that our main midfield signing of the summer is sitting at home with a sore head after his massive gash. I think if you add McHugh into our current team, we'd see a big improvement.

I was pleased to see McHugh was at the game yesterday.

7 minutes ago, Swello said:

I would agree with that but still worrying that just one player missing and our midfield goes to shit.

That has been the case for years now, even since Jennings left in 2012, someone we never properly replaced, that our midfield was lightweight and ineffective against sides capable of playing it fast through the middle. How many times have you seen us concede directly from our own attacks up the other end, or a corner? We lose possession in the final third and two to,four passes and the balls in our net. We seriously need to address this.

The most frightening thing for me with the defence is just how disorganised they seem even after a fair number of games together. The number of times any one of the back 4 or goalkeeper just seem to stand waiting to see what the other is going to do and get caught flat-footed when they do is criminal.

Last week you had Tait dealing (poorly) with a header he didn't have to because he gets a shout to clear from Samson, this week you have Hammell passing a ball that Heneghan wasn't expecting straight to an opponent on the 18 yard line. Even against County you had Heneghan getting caught ball watching and leaving Boyce unmarked.

It's proper Sunday league stuff.

2 hours ago, capt_oats said:

Heard that and laughed. It's up there with Canizares missing a World Cup after dropping a bottle of aftershave on his foot and Rio Ferdinand straining a muscle watching telly.

Hee hee.  That's what crossed my mind too. Mcghee seemed to be pretty objective in his thoughts on the game?

Big Adebayo will be ruing his missed chances but hopefully he'll work on that.

Big Lyle Taylor missed his fair share too but came good in the end.

I trust Azeez will too.

Hee hee.  That's what crossed my mind too. Mcghee seemed to be pretty objective in his thoughts on the game?

Well, he didn't reduce anyone to tears this time so that's something I suppose.

In general I thought he was fair. We weren't good enough but improved a bit in the 2nd half seemed to be the gist of his thoughts.

Didn't think McDonald's goal was offside at the time, and that's proved to be the case. Really poor decision when you see the replay of it, as well.

Frustrating to drop 2 points yesterday that really should have been ours, but there were some positives to take from the game. Ryan Edwards has really come onto a game the last few weeks, and I thought he ran the midfield yesterday in the way that Bannigan can do on his day; driving with the ball, spreading the play, and defensively solid as well. Scully was another one who had a good game, and his communication seems to have improved a lot from last season (not that this is much of a feat, I suppose); he had one dangerous dropped cross but other than that it was another strong performance. Finally, I thought Barton looked like he'll be a very useful player for us. He seemed to drift in and out of the game, but clearly has a bit of class on the ball, and I think him sitting next to a ball-winner like Osman could be a pretty decent partnership.

But aye, very frustrating result. I don't think it's unfair to say Azeez's finishing has cost us 4 points in the past couple of games. He was very effective yesterday, but really needs to start putting it in the net.

I know Azeez had some iffy finishing yesterday, but some moron sitting behind me was going fucking mental at him and called him a "poor mans Pogba". First time sitting in the JHS for a while and forgot how thick people are in that stand. Great view though.

One thing to take from the performances of Barton and Edwards is that they should 100% always start in front of Welsh if the options available. Granted up till his red card meltdown in Aberdeen he wasn't having the worse season, but we look so much better when he's not in the team.

Judging by the highlights Danny Devine is to blame for Scott McDonald having all the space at the goal. Really get the feeling we miss Frans and/or Seaborne getting the basics right in defence. Motherwell were at their most threatening with deep crosses all day and it's clearly something we need to work on. For the wing backs, especially Gordon, we need much faster closing down and to really force the opposition right into the sidelines and Devine and Lindsay need to work on communicating with each other and anticipating high balls in and the runs in from opposition players late into the box. I don't know how you go about "training" that otherwise than in a game situation with a more experienced centre-half though.

Tbf I thought the defence were decent yesterday, they held out for 80 minutes but you need your attacking players (Azeez in this case) to do their job and score goals. Even just one more to make it 2-0 should have seen us win it. Defence needs to work on challenging in the air though, losing out to 2 wee guys the past couple weeks has been really poor. 

Scully's looked decent the last 2 games, made a few good saves, and our midfield didn't get bossed without Osman (Edwards was really impressive imo) but I'll feel a lot better when Cerny and Abdul are both back.

3 hours ago, Crilly said:

Yes, but we only played for 30 minutes last week.  For the last hour or so we simply weren't in the game.

I disagree.  We dominated the first 30 minutes but I never felt we were dominated ourselves until maybe the last 10 minutes when we were clearly hanging on to a lead.  We were better than you are giving us credit for and Accies are not the worst team I've seen this season.

5 hours ago, mrcat1990 said:

I know Azeez had some iffy finishing yesterday, but some moron sitting behind me was going fucking mental at him and called him a "poor mans Pogba". First time sitting in the JHS for a while and forgot how thick people are in that stand. Great view though.

One thing to take from the performances of Barton and Edwards is that they should 100% always start in front of Welsh if the options available. Granted up till his red card meltdown in Aberdeen he wasn't having the worse season, but we look so much better when he's not in the team.

Yep same here. Absolute mongos.

I am very concerned about the defence again like everyone else. Ziggy has been unexpectedly garbage and Lindsay and Devine suck as well. I thought last week and the first half Scully was looking as commanding as I can remember, coming out quickly and taking a lot of cross balls, he reverted to his usual flapping in the last quarter of the game. Hes had enough chances for me.

Very impressed by Azeez (despite the misses), Erskine and Edwards. Not too downbeat but we need another defender in desperately. We CANNOT go with the same diddies that we have at the moment until January. I don't get why we have 800 central midfielders but only 2 central defenders.

Archived