Rovers v Sons

25 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

This probably should appear on the 'Sorrow' thread but here goes....

Context is important here; last season Aitken overspent the allotted budget by quite a way, but was anyone at the POY Dance willing to criticise this, or, for example the signing of Nade at a crucial stage of the season ?  No, we stayed up, job done.

That meant however that this season's budget was reined in and that has had obvious repercussions.  In Aitken's defence some of the signing targets suggested to me were of a decent standard; for example, a work contact told me that Ian Russell was almost a done deal before Airdrie came in offering funny money compared to our offer.

So, we have the squad we now have, and for every potentially decent acquisition there is a potential bummer but where I think we can offer criticism is in team selection, tactics and crucially for me, the Manager's ability to interpret a game and make necessary changes.

And let us never ignore the situation of owners who take f*** all to do with team affairs and provide f*** all cash - five years in The Championship is a minor miracle in itself. 

Pretty much agree with this.I do think the next few games will be crucial for SA and the club.3 defeats in the next 3 games will i think  spark a change.AA was sacked after 9 games( albeit with heavy defeats compared to our 4 single goal defeats,) so i dont think the board will hang onto someone who isnt getting the results.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This probably should appear on the 'Sorrow' thread but here goes....

Context is important here; last season Aitken overspent the allotted budget by quite a way, but was anyone at the POY Dance willing to criticise this, or, for example the signing of Nade at a crucial stage of the season ?  No, we stayed up, job done.

That meant however that this season's budget was reined in and that has had obvious repercussions.  In Aitken's defence some of the signing targets suggested to me were of a decent standard; for example, a work contact told me that Ian Russell was almost a done deal before Airdrie came in offering funny money compared to our offer.

So, we have the squad we now have, and for every potentially decent acquisition there is a potential bummer but where I think we can offer criticism is in team selection, tactics and crucially for me, the Manager's ability to interpret a game and make necessary changes.

And let us never ignore the situation of owners who take f*** all to do with team affairs and provide f*** all cash - five years in The Championship is a minor miracle in itself. 

No one was aware that the signing of Nade was eating into this season's budget other than the management staff and the board at that point in time.

I'm not convinced the budget is all that smaller than last season, despite the relentless chat from Stevie. The likes of Thomson x2, Stevo, Stirling, Smith, Buchanan, Martin, Brown, Fleming, Harvie, Barr and Stanton wont be on peanuts and Stevie made a few late signings that surprised me after all the chat regarding the reduced budget (namely Thomson, Harvie and particularly Stanton, who I'm not convinced we actually needed). I personally believe there is a budget in place that is ample to compete, it's up to Stevie to use it wisely and organise the squad he's personally built, which on paper looks fairly strong. I'm in agreement it looks like tactics are the issue.

Regardless of the budget/players 0 wins in 18 away games and 2 wins in our last 16 competitive fixtures is absolutely nowhere near good enough. There is no need to panic just yet, but I hope the board have a close eye on these pretty attrocious recent records.

I'm glad we don't rely on investment from owners. We don't need a Mike Mulraney waving his cock around and craving to be the centre of attention.

I actually think Stevie has had his tactics spot on in most of this seasons games. I feel finishing has been the issue most of the time. We don't have anyone in an attacking sense who looks like scoring regularly for us. St Mirren was the prime example of that. Which is very concerning.

Few observations from the highlights. Didn't realise how badly the first 2 goals deflected to put them way out of Martin's reach. After watching the third a couple of times, I almost thought even it had taking a slight deflection on the way in.

On another day the first 2 rebound wide or away from the goal.

Decent strike from Stevo and Thommo's looked less scrappy on 2nd viewing.

Stevie is pretty honest in the analysis. Frustrating that Fraser Wright is suspended when we actually could do with him to come in. Still think Buchanan's first booking was harsh too.

Those highlights make me thankful that Rudi Skacel is nowhere near fit enough or sharp enough to cause us any severe damage at the moment.
He could easily have had a hat-trick after about 15 minutes!

If we hadn't signed Alan Martin then we wouldn't have a point this season imho. Jaz is a good 'keeper, but Martin is on another level.

Those highlights make me thankful that Rudi Skacel is nowhere near fit enough or sharp enough to cause us any severe damage at the moment.

If we hadn't signed Alan Martin then we wouldn't have a point this season imho. Jaz is a good 'keeper, but Martin is on another level.

It's almost October! I'm now wondering how much of a run up Rudi needs to get himself fit and sharp enough to cause teams severe damage?

Going on the highlights we made plenty chances but after we were 3-0 up Dumbarton made a load of chances too. If that late chance for Dumbarton had gone in the boos would be ringing round the South Stand.

In the end the 3 points are all that matters. Onto the next game.

I didn't think Skacel was too bad. He clearly should've had us ahead before we did take the lead, and he's slow, but he kept the ball well in the final third, put a chance on a plate for Callachan and put a good ball in for Scott Roberts who volleyed it back to him at one point too. Sounds strange but I thought he had a better overall game than Roberts who wasn't involved much, and yet scored goal of the season. Almost Conroy-like in the sense he did 'nothing' apart from score what was ultimately the winner.

McManus was my man of the match though. I thought he was excellent, Dumbarton's defenders just couldn't live with him. Evidenced by Buchanan's first booking, a ball down the touch line with McManus five yards behind. Outpaces him, nutmegs him, brought down for a booking. Lovely.

I was so sure we would lose a third yesterday, delighted we never! That said, it really should have been 4/5/6 by 60 minutes. 

Looking at our side, it was great to have Cuthbert back in the sticks, instills so much more confidence and experience at the back. 

I thought Liam Smith slotted in excellently well and looks like he will be very capable at this level. If we have him until Thomson returns then I am not that worried about our results sliding due to his absence (where as I was terrified if it was going to be Mathews - only because he's not a RB, I think he's excellent in midfield and would have him starting in front of Davo at Cappielow). 

Great strike from Roberts and the best perfomace he has put in for us by a long way. 

I also thought Declan McManus was really, really good yesterday (and has been since we've signed him). To have a striker that holds it up, lays it off l brings others into play, is a physical presence AND is quick enough to run in behind is very uncommon at this level.  

I thoroughly enjoyed the first 65 minutes yesterday. We were playing some very nice stuff, work rate and pressing were great and we looked dangerous going forward. The way we ended the game was disappointing but the 3 points is all that matters.

The only silver lining I can wishfully construct is that had we won by 5 or so and had the cigars out there is always the chance this can create a bit of complacency for the following game (usually the first 45 and then reality bites and a rocket is placed under their arses). So, Having still picked up the win, the fact we had to dig in and scrape over the line should ensure that for next week complacency is not on the cards!

I also agree with Paco on Scacel. I thought he was decent overall despite being wasteful in front of goal. His chipped cross for Callaghan was a real touch of quality. 

On in another note, disappointing crowd. Hopefully a good result next week will see a bigger turnout against Hibs (who I would expect to bring one of their biggest supports to San Starko - will thy fill the key tech like the jambos do you think?

8 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Absolutely, spot on.

3-2 flattered us.

On 24/09/2016 at 14:26, Rovers1992/1993 said:

I'd just like to congratulate Dumbarton on their 3 points today.

I'd happily drive Davo out of this club myself to another club that would take him.

Roberts has done f**k all since he's came here.

Skacel's done f**k all since he's came as well.

The first 2 names on the team sheet for me would be Matthews and Jordan Thomson and both start on the bench..? :lol:

Skcjel had a great game and roberts scored the goal of the season.made a muppet of yourself there son.

Skcjel had a great game and roberts scored the goal of the season.made a muppet of yourself there son.

Before the game, neither had done anything?

I'm guessing you have no idea how to multi-quote and that you're quoting everyone else that mentioned playing Roberts and Skacel from the start looked like a massive mistake...?

20 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Major miracle, I would say.

Sounds like a couple of people arguing against each other that are both wrong in my opinion. Skacel was pretty decent, far from having a great game though, quite clear he isn't fit. Think he is still suited to a cameo and at his age he is may never be a starter unless we are suffering from injuries and suspensions. I do like him all the same, he is a very clever player and is still quality, but to me he was blowing out his erse after 35 minutes. 

The starting line up did look pretty dodgy to be fair but you have got to give the boys (and manager) a chance to prove it either way. Looking back at the comments after the game was laughable, some right sour faced fannys on here.  

I thought Skacel had a good game,
apart from the miss which was a decent save from the keeper, I thought he used the ball very well. Just because he isn't scoring goals doesn't mean he isn't playing well

He looked lost to me.

No doubt he'll pull out a world class performance against Hibs for all his Hearts pals though.

Archived