25th September, Rangers visit Aberdeen

Quite excited to see this game. Should be a cracking atmosphere and an even (ish) contest. Think Aberdeen will win this one quite comfortably. A lot will depend on the team MW picks. If I was him I'd pick the young, hungry boys with boundless energy. Drop all the overpaid has-beens.

When will Halliday half Maddison?

It will be a horrible atmosphere.

Just hope our Fans dont let us down.

Hope the banner display is up to usual standards Mezz.

COYR

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

For those old enough to remember both players in their younger days, who had most talent/potential Eoin Jess or Ian Durrant?

Eta - as an add on to this question how good generally was Jess?

From what I remember about Jess he was the next big Scottish superstar in the making. Came with a lot of hype around him but then it all fizzled out somehow. He had some outstanding moments for the Dons in early games taking on players and beating them easily, can't remember his goal scoring record but I'm sure it was pretty good early doors. Big things were expected for him in the rags and media.

3 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

For those old enough to remember both players in their younger days, who had most talent/potential Eoin Jess or Ian Durrant?

Eta - as an add on to this question how good generally was Jess?

Jess would run riot in this league these days.

The "never fulfilled his potential" is a bit unfair on him.

Around 92 he had Serie A clubs looking at him (and this was when it was the top league in Europe) after impressing against Torino in the UEFA Cup, but he broke his leg at the start of 93 and it took him a while to get back on form.

He got it back in the 95/96 season when he was excellent for Aberdeen, but made the wrong move going to Coventry. Should have waited until summer and picked a bigger club, but I think he thought he would be guaranteed to play every week there. Instead he would play well one week then get dropped with Gordon Strachan telling him that particular game wasn't right for him. Meant he was seen as a flop when really Strachan was just doing what he's still doing 20 years later with Scotland.

Came back to a shit Aberdeen team that dragged him down. Even when he left around 2000 he went on to be Bradford's top goalscorer in the English prem which is often forgotten.

Advocaat wanted him at Rangers. Had he gone there, he'd have flourished in that side, won the league, and got more Scotland caps, and probably have been far more appreciated by Scottish fans. But he said he couldn't sign for either of the old firm and play against Aberdeen, therefore cementing his place in Dons fans hearts.

3 hours ago, Dunty said:

Jess would run riot in this league these days.

The "never fulfilled his potential" is a bit unfair on him.

Around 92 he had Serie A clubs looking at him (and this was when it was the top league in Europe) after impressing against Torino in the UEFA Cup, but he broke his leg at the start of 93 and it took him a while to get back on form.

He got it back in the 95/96 season when he was excellent for Aberdeen, but made the wrong move going to Coventry. Should have waited until summer and picked a bigger club, but I think he thought he would be guaranteed to play every week there. Instead he would play well one week then get dropped with Gordon Strachan telling him that particular game wasn't right for him. Meant he was seen as a flop when really Strachan was just doing what he's still doing 20 years later with Scotland.

Came back to a shit Aberdeen team that dragged him down. Even when he left around 2000 he went on to be Bradford's top goalscorer in the English prem which is often forgotten.

Advocaat wanted him at Rangers. Had he gone there, he'd have flourished in that side, won the league, and got more Scotland caps, and probably have been far more appreciated by Scottish fans. But he said he couldn't sign for either of the old firm and play against Aberdeen, therefore cementing his place in Dons fans hearts.

Arguably saved us from relegation in his second spell.  Wasn't able to shine as he had in his first spell due to the dross around him but his performances then are often overlooked because it was such a terrible Dons side, without him we'd have been relegated for the first time in our history.

8 hours ago, johnnydun said:

The bbc are showing the 2-0 Aberdeen game from 2008. What a great challenge from Novo on the filthy Arab Stuart Duff, never a sending off imo.

I'd forgotten about that challenge. What a cowardly rat Novo was / is.

Once you get by the "boy's got potential" jokes, I think that fans outwith the Aberdeen support forget just how good Jess was when he was on it.  Used to be one of the players that you'd genuinely fear when playing against.

Someone said that he'd absolutely tear it up in the league today and I'd be inclined to agree, maybe he was a player just a bit ahead of his time.

13 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

That was a brilliant game, Darcheville was in the paper saying they were going to score 5 against us or something and they were utter shit. 

Yeah, I went along, got a ticket from a mate, in the open corner of the south. I remember a lot of police with a lot of handy cams and Barry Ferguson not giving a wave! Haha

2 minutes ago, StandFree03 said:

Probably best remembered by most for his performance against oldco in the 95 league cup final at hampden. Jess and Bernard were absolutely tremendous that night.

Did Dundee go tits up as well?

I mind he played well against Rangers in the semi final that year.

More likely abseil off the dick donald stand to rapturous applause.

:lol:

Maybe get David Cameron, Ruth Davidson & Gordon Brown to parachute out of a plane flying the union flag behind them to land on the centre circle as both sides unite in belting out 'Rule Britania', only to be drowned out by a flyover by the Red Arrows leaving a red, white & blue trail of smoke over Pittodrie. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Maybe get David Cameron, Ruth Davidson & Gordon Brown to parachute out of a plane flying the union flag behind them to land on the centre circle as both sides unite in belting out 'Rule Britania', only to be drowned out by a flyover by the Red Arrows leaving a red, white & blue trail of smoke over Pittodrie. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Politics...lol.

The second half of that game in 2008 was glorious. I can't remember us being that comfortable against Rangers for a good while. Proper goals-leading-to-meltdown stuff from Rangers players that night. 

Archived