Dunfermline vs St Mirren (trapdoor clash)

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

I'm out all day Saturday, so will record this on Alba. Haven't seen either side this season and you're our next two opponents after Saturday.

Do Saints expect to have a manager in place for this?

They really don't need one for this game. 

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 20:22, JamieStevenson said:

Murdoch & Cardle desperately needed. Nat > McCabe too. 1-1 with McCabe playing their striker through on goal.

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 20:26, parsforlife said:

There's a bloody long list of players better than mccabe.

On ‎18‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 20:29, Stellaboz said:

Derek Ferguson was more effective than McCabe ffs.

I don't get the constant McCabe slating. Typical Pars fans picking a scapegoat and sticking with it. Andy Geggan has been utter horse shite since pre-season yet no one mentions that. Always the same player getting the stick.

25 minutes ago, JFPar said:

I don't get the constant McCabe slating. Typical Pars fans picking a scapegoat and sticking with it. Andy Geggan has been utter horse shite since pre-season yet no one mentions that. Always the same player getting the stick.

Geggan has been poor but I'd say his marked improvement last season compared to the previous one was due to AJ shackling him and making him stick to a more defensive role. He's no use to us running about like a headless chicken and being too knackered to pick out a pass when the ball falls to him. Good player when we play to his strengths but he's no Zidane. 

Oh here we go with the scapegoat pish. McCabe is rightly being slated as he's done nothing in a Dunfermline jersey and his performance against Queens was one of the worst I've seen and I've seen a lot.
Geggan has at least shown he can play at this level and i echo what is said above too.

I'm not sure why you Pars are worried the lack of buddies posting should show we've zero confidence for this one!!!  New person at the helm or not our defence is a mess.  Flood the midfield and we'll crumble as per every other game.

Nope nope nope. Morton did this last week on here, this week it's our turn

I actually thought Dunfermline made some pretty decent signings in the window. Is it tactics, growing pains, or do the players just not look bothered?

Think it's kind of the same as us - genuinely think our squad is way better than our standing at the moment, but we are where we are for a reason. 

On 20/09/2016 at 11:48, Stellaboz said:

If you can defend balls high behind the full backs you'll be fine.

Our defence is bad... but that's probably its weakest spot.

Lost two goals like that against Raith, and our defenders and keeper (either of them) just love it when a ball over the top is half way between them.

At the best of times I never feel confident going to EEP.  

Can't see us getting anything from this sadly.

44 minutes ago, ulysses said:

I actually thought Dunfermline made some pretty decent signings in the window. Is it tactics, growing pains, or do the players just not look bothered?

Think it's kind of the same as us - genuinely think our squad is way better than our standing at the moment, but we are where we are for a reason. 

Depends who you ask I suppose, I don't think the players have given up at all, fair enough allot of the confidence has evaporated from last season but it's not through lack of trying. I blame that some of them just aren't good enough and the tactics aren't there to shield them, I'd put more blame down to AJ than anyone else for the start, I'm sure in the last game the only player that wasn't "his" were Martin and Geggan, this is entirely his squad and he's left us woefully short at centre mid.

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Depends who you ask I suppose, I don't think the players have given up at all, fair enough allot of the confidence has evaporated from last season but it's not through lack of trying. I blame that some of them just aren't good enough and the tactics aren't there to shield them, I'd put more blame down to AJ than anyone else for the start, I'm sure in the last game the only player that wasn't "his" were Martin and Geggan, this is entirely his squad and he's left us woefully short at centre mid.

Sounds like someone we just got rid of.

AJ done well getting Queens and yourselves out of League 1 but in all honesty full time teams should romp that league. I've never really been impressed with him at higher levels.

He's had 7 games against full times sides since getting promoted, he's lost all 7.

I'm reasonably concerned that he doesn't have what it takes to adapt the team to play against full time sides.

In that same period he's played 4 part time sides and won all 4.

With Talbot back from suspension I would put him at left back, put Martin at right back with Ashcroft and BRE in centre hopefully Murdoch in goal, Geggan in front of back 4 then Midfield 3 of Paton, Higginbotham and Cardle and Clark and Farid up front

Seemed to do ok last season against full time clubs. Apart from Saints we matched Dundee and United.

We just need to cut out the mistakes, Murdoch will improve it as will Fordyce at right back once he gets fit enough.

McCabe needs dropped for a bit, stick Wedderburn at DM and play Geggan or KHB behind the strikers. Is the lack of football coming from a midfield that's overrun? Probably.

With Talbot back from suspension I would put him at left back, put Martin at right back with Ashcroft and BRE in centre hopefully Murdoch in goal, Geggan in front of back 4 then Midfield 3 of Paton, Higginbotham and Cardle and Clark and Farid up front

We would get bawed so hard from that it wouldn't be funny, we'd have even less control of midfield.

----------------Murdoch
Williamson--Ashcroft-Martin-Talbot
--------------------------Geggan
-------------------McCabe--Herron
Higginbothom---------------------Cardle
------------------------Clarke

Geggan is at his best when he's told to just sit, while he is capable of breaking forward and getting goals we'd leave gaping holes in midfield if he does.

Fordyce didn't impress at right back and either way if Higginbothom is playing he's going to wonder inside, having Williamson to keep a threat up the right hand side will be good. BRE doesn't seem upto it at this level, may aswell give Martin a shot in his favoured position.

We might even try and pass the ball. That'd be nice.

Should go 5-2-1-2 for this...

Murdoch

Williamson Fordyce Ashcroft Martin Talbot

Geggan Cardle

Higginbotham

Clarke El Alagui

Subs: Paton, Moffat, BRE, Herron, McMullan

Why? If Williamson pushes forward it leaves plenty cover with a remaining back four. Higginbotham should be the link man as he is able to make the telling pass as well as being given a free reign to go into wide areas on occasion and pull defenders. There is less issue with Geggan making the odd run forward. Yeah, this'd definitely work.

Great thing is, no one can say I told you that'd be rubbish as it won't happen :-)

I remember this setup working pretty well in 1989.

Archived