Dunfermline vs St Mirren (trapdoor clash)

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, smpar said:

The one that descended me into a complete and utter seething mess was the camera slowly panning down Nicky Clark from head to two, finishing with a 5 second focus on his boots. By the time it went back to the game, a St Mirren attacker was through on goal and Murdoch made an important tackle/clearance.

I missed what could have been a big moment in the game, but at least I know Nicky Clark could do with some help when it comes to tying shoelaces.

I'd watch a Farid-cam. He's some specimen. 

Watching the highlights again the crosses for Clark's goals were superb, it makes such a difference to have a striker who actually moves and attacks the ball.

Michael Paton is also one sexy b*****d., brings a calm, assured confidence and a quality of pass that we've been desperately lacking this season. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a logical formation which can accommodate Paton, Cardle and Higgy though. 

5 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Watching the highlights again the crosses for Clark's goals were superb, it makes such a difference to have a striker who actually moves and attacks the ball.

Michael Paton is also one sexy b*****d., brings a calm, assured confidence and a quality of pass that we've been desperately lacking this season. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a logical formation which can accommodate Paton, Cardle and Higgy though. 

When he had his golden spell with us Clark's movement was outstanding. He scored lot of headed goals, not because he's particularly powerful in the air (he's not) but because his movement saw him consistently able to find spaces between centre backs in crowded penalty areas. See the headed goals he scored for us at Ibrox and at Rugby Park that season in cup ties for perfect examples. At the start of that season his composure in front of goal was lacking but by the second half of it he'd become really clinical. A lot of that is confidence. If you get him firing again he'll be a star at this level. A lot of our fans like to pretend he wasn't all that good because they don't like the way he left us and where he went to. As a result the quality of his performances in the second half of that season are glossed over. I'd have taken Nicky Clark like a shot in the summer if he was available.

Of course, I wouldn't swap him for Dobbie. I wouldn't swap anybody for Dobbie!

18 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

I think you have to take the statues who were marking him into context.

Reilly's face was a picture on the bench and hates me to say this but if you get half the Farid we had, you've still got a hell of a player, Hibs references are enough to show that, considering he hardly played for them

3 minutes ago, MrDust said:

Reilly's face was a picture on the bench and hates me to say this but if you get half the Farid we had, you've still got a hell of a player, Hibs references are enough to show that, considering he hardly played for them

There's been similar marking before, the only difference has been that Reilly simply doesn't move, Clark seems like one of those players who just knows where and when to run.

Reilly's face was a picture on the bench

Seen that referenced a couple of times when did this happen? He's probably just frustrated that he's not getting into the areas to score, I've seen strikers take it really to heart when they're not scoring, particularly when there's been a few goals.

39 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Seen that referenced a couple of times when did this happen? He's probably just frustrated that he's not getting into the areas to score, I've seen strikers take it really to heart when they're not scoring, particularly when there's been a few goals.

Is Reilly one of your strikers?

Has he been on a barren patch?

If so I can imagine why he'd be raging not to get a game when the Saints defence rolled in to town!

Scored 2 goals in ten appearances, one of those was against Brechin. Although on the same wavelength one was against Hibs...

Edited to add:- I think he only scored 4 goals last year also and two of those were penalties, that is a pretty poor return.

1 hour ago, TheMessiah said:

As Pat Scullion showed last year, even a carthorse can occasionally bang in a 30 yarder but that first goal on Saturday was the kind that gets me drooling. Paton's turns, Taekwon Talbot's cross and a proper diving header - glorious. 

Feel much more relaxed having seen Clark a couple of times now. Finally have someone who looks as potent as Faissal.

1 hour ago, MrDust said:

He may not be fully fit, and may never be but Farid looks a class act. One of those guys that seems to have more time on the ball than normal players.    

1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:

Is Reilly one of your strikers?

Has he been on a barren patch?

If so I can imagine why he'd be raging not to get a game when the Saints defence rolled in to town!

He did get a game, he started and played about 70 minutes. I'm not surprised you didn't notice...

28 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

As Pat Scullion showed last year, even a carthorse can occasionally bang in a 30 yarder but that first goal on Saturday was the kind that gets me drooling. Paton's turns, Taekwon Talbot's cross and a proper diving header - glorious. 

Feel much more relaxed having seen Clark a couple of times now. Finally have someone who looks as potent as Faissal.

He may not be fully fit, and may never be but Farid looks a class act. One of those guys that seems to have more time on the ball than normal players.    

Clark looks as much of a goal threat as Faiss but his general play isn't as good and he isn't the sort who's going to be able to beat 3 guys and score on his own though.

Between Clark and Farid I think we have somewhere near the total sum of Faiss and Moffat, if not a little more.

This could be us finally starting to perform this season, but knowing us we'll probably go and get scudded off Ayr on Saturday.

2 minutes ago, TheMessiah said:

Clark looks as much of a goal threat as Faiss but his general play isn't as good and he isn't the sort who's going to be able to beat 3 guys and score on his own though.

Between Clark and Farid I think we have somewhere near the total sum of Faiss and Moffat, if not a little more.

This could be us finally starting to perform this season, but knowing us we'll probably go and get scudded off Ayr on Saturday.

I know Clark is a different sort of player but he has that bit of fire and confidence - a matchwinner basically. 

42 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I know Clark is a different sort of player but he has that bit of fire and confidence - a matchwinner basically. 

Confidence does that, they all have that on their day. 

He can score goals, that's all we want and need.

Archived