Venice

The Saintee

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

The bus is probably much cheaper but I'd take the ferry one way if it was me. I'd imagine approaching Venice from the sea would be quite spectacular.

I'd feel suitably Byzantine doing that.

• 1 year later...

Planning on going to Venice for 4 days mid June 2018 with my wife, prob b&b or room only,any updated advice where specifically to go, enjoy food & drink and plan on having a good time seeing the sights but chilling out if possible. Any recommendations on areas to stay not necessarily in the main area?

7 hours ago, gpo said:

Planning on going to Venice for 4 days mid June 2018 with my wife, prob b&b or room only,any updated advice where specifically to go, enjoy food & drink and plan on having a good time seeing the sights but chilling out if possible. Any recommendations on areas to stay not necessarily in the main area?

Lido di Jesolo or Rimini close enough

• 1 month later...

Just back from 4 days there, stayed about 200 yards from St Marks Square in a lovely 15th century hotel, small and smart on the very edge of Costello. Not as busy as I expected but not quiet obviously. Also not as expensive as I thought it might be. Very friendly people, loved the place, beautiful. Great food and drink and walked just about everywhere you can walk, getting a bit lost and finding our way back again, great fun. Temperature was mid 80s. Definitely will return.

Have been a few times at various times of the year... avoid June July and August....Best time to visit imo is in winter....but avoid the aqua alta (high tide). In winter you have many of the streets to yourself and when u walk into a bar its full of locals and students.

Still a good bit warmer in winter than here.

Get lost on a cichetti crawl. Basically like oor standard pub crawl but replace the beer with glasses of lovely red or white wine and add in brilliant wee bar snacks.

Dozens of wee cichetti bars allover back street Venice. Cheap as chips and very welcoming people.

Fantastic city.

• 1 year later...