Airdrieonians v East Fife

Just now, touchedbymadness said:

Well done EF.  Strong and well organised.

Airdrie?   All 4 defenders are useless.

TBM - what do you believe is Stewart's best position.

I actually believe we could play him right mid as he is to good a player not to start as bringing the ball forward he is brilliant.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, waysider said:

We were by far the better team in the first half (ignoring the umpteenth terrible goal- Stewart the culprit again) but terrible in the second half. Not for the first time Conroy and Leitch ran the show in the first half but both faded away in the second half and the team suffered. Makes me wonder what kind of full time training we're doing.

I'm coming round to the idea of having Stewart join Conroy and Leitch in midfield for 2 reasons. First, it should stop him giving away goals. Second, he has the energy to stop our midfield collapsing in the second half. I know we don't have a natural right back but maybe we could try Gorman there.

Got say I disagree I felt in the first half we were pretty poor.

You'll need to get used to him diving. He's too old to change. I agree his play hasn't hit top gear yet but I'm hopeful he'll get better. He's pretty good with the ball at his feet going forward. Hits a lovely pass to supporting players. Anyway he's much better, even with his diving, than some of the alleged forwards we've had to suffer in recent seasons.

We were by far the better team in the first half

You really, really weren't mate!!!

As I said previously , you probably had more possession in the first half but you did the sum of hee-haw with it, your team had a nice shape to it going forward but as soon as the hairy beardy guy went off injured that was it for you your lot, he had been pulling the strings up until then for Airdrie and you looked so lost and devoid of ideas once he went off!!!

Personally begrudgingly I thought that a draw was about right but the fact it was only a draw because of such a dodgy penalty and that that penalty was about your sides only direct attempt on target really makes it feel like two points dropped for us!!!

Agree with the comments about Russell, you would think after the daft sending off he would stop that part of his game. He never won a header today because he was forever waiting for the shove in the back and go down like a sack of spuds, holding his neck.

Thought Boateng played better today, not perfect but looked a bit more at ease with the ball at his feet. Yes there was a couple of occasions when his legs were like spaghetti but overall he did okay.

Has Conroy stopped running ? He was everywhere today.

East Fife well well organised and it took a cracking save from Brown's shot to keep the score at 1.

Not perfect but certainly not the worst result in the world.

Oh and time wasting after 20 mins ???? What was that all about ?

Just now, King Kebab said:

As I said previously , you probably had more possession in the first half but you did the sum of hee-haw with it, your team had a nice shape to it going forward but as soon as the hairy beardy guy went off injured that was it for you your lot, he had been pulling the strings up until then for Airdrie and you looked so lost and devoid of ideas once he went off!!!

Personally begrudgingly I thought that a draw was about right but the fact it was only a draw because of such a dodgy penalty and that that penalty was about your sides only direct attempt on target really makes it feel like two points dropped for us!!!

Both teams were poor in first half for 20 mins of the second half Airdrie took control then the rest of the game was pretty even.

5 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

You should take the point and be happy, East Fife were poor too. 

Great to see a lot of honest comments from Diamonds fans especially regarding Ian Russell. I've always rated the guy but the way he cons referees with all his diving is embarrassing, especially for referees who are being taken in by it. Was really disappointed in Airdrie especially being a full-time outfit. Defensively, I thought the centre backs looked as though they could have crumbled if we had gone a bit more attacking with two up front. Jamie Insall put in a good shift but was always struggling on his own. Couldn't help but feel that if Fash had still been with us he could have had a field day - he wasn't even stripped for Falkirk today !

we seemed to set out to nullify the threat of Airdries strike force and on the whole did this well and limited scoring opportunities. Don't think we got forward quickly enough at times but before the game I would happily have taken a point against a full-time team away from home on a plastic pitch. However, I think they were there for the taking had we been a wee bit more adventurous going forward. Felt we really missed Scott Robinson to put his foot on the ball and give us a bit of composure in the middle. Decent start to the season, and from what I've seen there is nothing to fear in this League - Alloa were good but our own individual errors gifted them goals. Mon the Fife !

Just now, waysider said:

You'll need to get used to him diving. He's too old to change. I agree his play hasn't hit top gear yet but I'm hopeful he'll get better. He's pretty good with the ball at his feet going forward. Hits a lovely pass to supporting players. Anyway he's much better, even with his diving, than some of the alleged forwards we've had to suffer in recent seasons.

Well I didn't se any lovely passes today.Lister would have been a bigger threat than what Russell has been so far and could stay on his feet. I am being critical but it's merited he is also still to score a goal in open play in the league. As a fan I don't want se our vice captain trying cheat week in week out.

Just now, King Kebab said:

In fairness we had blatant penalty the ref never gave. The penalty we did get was soft but contact was made so in rules of the game it was a penalty.

In fairness we had blatant penalty the ref never gave. The penalty we did get was soft but contact was made so in rules of the game it was a penalty.

If you look back the posts I did say it was a penalty, a shite needless one to give away and incredibly soft but still a penalty, it was actually Airdrie fans who were saying or insinuating that it was dodgy, I was more than happy to jump on that bandwagon, it takes the reality of throwing two points away easier to take when you can blame the ref for cheating you out of them!!!

You should take the point and be happy, East Fife were poor too. 

We really, really weren't mate!!!

If anybody should be happy with taking a point it should be your gang, it was gifted to you, with a big fucking bow wrapped round it!!!

As pish as we were, I thought east fife was equally as poor. As one of their own said above, a bit of ambition to get at our shaky defence and they could have won the game. They didn't look that interested and looked happy win their point. Their keeper taking 4 days with every goal kick being a case in point.

Both teams were poor and east Fife players looked happy with the point.

They really, really weren't mate!!!

It looked to me that they were gutted not to get the win!!!

I think disappointing would be a better adjective to use, I was disappointed in Airdrie, as the Full-Time, home side with championship asperations the onus was on them to dictate, they didn't, we coped, we led, we threw it away, I agree if we had went for it a bit more we could have put it beyond doubt, but we didn't and I think the players know that, that is why to say they were happy with the point is ludicrous!!!

2 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

They really, really weren't mate!!!

It looked to me that they were gutted not to get the win!!!

I think disappointing would be a better adjective to use, I was disappointed in Airdrie, as the Full-Time, home side with championship asperations the onus was on them to dictate, they didn't, we coped, we led, we threw it away, I agree if we had went for it a bit more we could have put it beyond doubt, but we didn't and I think the players know that, that is why to say they were happy with the point is ludicrous!!!

Not as disappointed as we currently are with Airdrie mate. And just think, if your keeper hadn't pulled off that pretty phenomenal save at the end you'd have lost. 

Archived