Even less of a title race with the return of Rangers

Guest DAVIDB69

26 minutes ago, Booker-T said:

worldwide fan based income

when the old Rangers still existed, Celtic were regular top 10 worldwide for shirt sales and haven't dropped far off that since despite the emergence of lots of fashionable new money clubs like psg and man city emerging. Rangers never got near that level despite a 1990s near monopoly on Scottish trophies.

Sevco have considerably less supporters than the old Rangers (supporters, not fans) and added to that their fondness for boycotting official merch....

in the 2000s Rangers tried to compete financially with a Celtic which had engaged it worldwide marketing and money making potential, do you remember how that finished? 

I find this surprising, and surely pretty hard to quantify.

If celtic are far better supported, why do rangers get bigger home crowds, just out of interest?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, PauloPerth said:

I find this surprising, and surely pretty hard to quantify.

If celtic are far better supported, why do rangers get bigger home crowds, just out of interest?

do they?

I would think so, though I'm not using any scientific method!  Most Celtic games they hover around the 30,000 mark, whereas rangers seem to be quite a bit more.

I realise celtic report their crowds based on season ticket sales, but if you just compare numbers that actually turn up and attend matches I would expect rangers would be a few thousand higher.

36 minutes ago, Booker-T said:

when the old Rangers still existed, Celtic were regular top 10 worldwide for shirt sales and haven't dropped far off that since despite the emergence of lots of fashionable new money clubs like psg and man city emerging. Rangers never got near that level despite a 1990s near monopoly on Scottish trophies.

Sevco have considerably less supporters than the old Rangers (supporters, not fans) and added to that their fondness for boycotting official merch....

in the 2000s Rangers tried to compete financially with a Celtic which had engaged it worldwide marketing and money making potential, do you remember how that finished? 

So Rangers went bust because they couldn't sell as many shirts in Canada and Australia?

Aye, ok.  That was definitely it.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So Rangers went bust because they couldn't sell as many shirts in Canada and Australia?

Aye, ok.  That was definitely it.

you've just taken from that what you wanted to

2 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

I would think so, though I'm not using any scientific method!  Most Celtic games they hover around the 30,000 mark, whereas rangers seem to be quite a bit more.

I realise celtic report their crowds based on season ticket sales, but if you just compare numbers that actually turn up and attend matches I would expect rangers would be a few thousand higher.

Celtic sell more tickets and at a higher pricer than sevco do.

turning up is irrelevant unless you are thinking about pie sales

Just now, Booker-T said:

Celtic sell more tickets and at a higher pricer than sevco do.

turning up is irrelevant unless you are thinking about pie sales

Mmmm... pies.

Fitbastats has Celtic's home crowds at 55,498 and Rangers' at 48,848 this season.  As Booker-T says, whether they all turn up every second week is irrelevant, as long as they've paid for their tickets, season or otherwise.

3 hours ago, Booker-T said:

How do you come to the point that rangers have less supporters nowadays . Bar the whole boycott carry on our attendances have remained at around the same average all the way through the divisions 

41 minutes ago, The DA said:

Mmmm... pies.

Fitbastats has Celtic's home crowds at 55,498 and Rangers' at 48,848 this season.  As Booker-T says, whether they all turn up every second week is irrelevant, as long as they've paid for their tickets, season or otherwise.

So 55,000 fans generate twice the revenue of 48,000?

That's what Booker T seems to be suggesting.

5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

So 55,000 fans generate twice the revenue of 48,000?

That's what Booker T seems to be suggesting.

No it isn't, not even close.

7,000 more fans on average paying higher ticket prices shows creates a match day income gap, but even if ticket prices were uniform, which they are not, that is a 15% difference on match day alone 

Celtic's merchandising is worth a lot more than sevco, Celtic's retail only turnover in y/e 2015 was £11.7m, in 2016 it was £12.6m...  years there was hardly a feel good factor in... 

the highest retail spend by sevco fans I can find is £7.6m for year ending 2014 

20 minutes ago, Booker-T said:

No it isn't, not even close.

7,000 more fans on average paying higher ticket prices shows creates a match day income gap, but even if ticket prices were uniform, which they are not, that is a 15% difference on match day alone 

Celtic's merchandising is worth a lot more than sevco, Celtic's retail only turnover in y/e 2015 was £11.7m, in 2016 it was £12.6m...  years there was hardly a feel good factor in... 

the highest retail spend by sevco fans I can find is £7.6m for year ending 2014 

When did it stop being about the actual game of fitba....

when the old Rangers still existed, Celtic were regular top 10 worldwide for shirt sales and haven't dropped far off that since despite the emergence of lots of fashionable new money clubs like psg and man city emerging.

Think you've been misinformed or made that up.

An online search and rake through the shirt sales stats for the last 10-15 years would suggest neither Celtic or Rangers have ever been top 10, and have always loitered just outside the top 10 alongside the likes of Ajax, Galatasaray, Boca Jnrs and in recent years, creeping into PSG & Man City.

Since around 2000 the top 12 clubs for shirt sales appears to have been fairly steady with Valencia & Inter Milan dropping out of the top 12 for PSG & Man City.

In no particular order, these clubs lead the way for the most part before being joined by PSG & Man City.

Real Madrid

Man Utd

Chelsea

Bayern Munich

Liverpool

AC Milan

Barcelona

Arsenal

Juventus

Inter Milan

Borrussia Dortmund

Valencia