Queens v. Raith (2nd v. 3rd)

Bit harsh to say they're a one man team. They have a player who's head and shoulders above most of his Championship peers, but the majority of their starting XI are at the very least, competent at this level.

Not harsh at all mate. I never said none of the rest of their players weren't competent at this level?

If you switch Dobbie and McManus, then the score line would have probably been switched along with it. He didn't even break a sweat today.

Dobbie scored the first.
He scored the second.
He hit the shot from which the rebound for the 3rd was scored.
He then hit the post late on as well.

Queens are a mid-table championship side. So if one player can come in and lift that team from mid-table championship( 4th - 6th) to genuine title challengers, surely that is the definition of a one-man team..?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not harsh at all mate. I never said none of the rest of their players weren't competent at this level?

If you switch Dobbie and McManus, then the score line would have probably been switched along with it. He didn't even break a sweat today.

Dobbie scored the first.
He scored the second.

Queens are a mid-table championship side. So if one player can come in and lift that team from mid-table championship( 4th - 6th) to genuine title challengers, surely that is the definition of a one-man team..?

So on that basis, we're a no-man team?

8 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Dobbie scored the first.
He scored the second.

Night night pal if you wake up from a Dobbie induced nightmare just remember you have Rudi Skacel. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

Dobbie scored the first.
He scored the second.

I thought Hilson hit the volley ahead of the third goal.

Dobbie scored the first.
He scored the second.

We're a bit like Wales then. A team of competent players at their level plus the genius of Gareth Bale.
I'd take that any day over a team of mid table mediocrity with a lone international squad player!

15 minutes ago, Rovers1992/1993 said:

No he didnt. He wasnt involved. Dykes crossed it, Hilson volleyed it and Brotherston stuck in the rebound. 

I get the point you are trying clumsily to make but calling us a one man team is silly. Are Portugal a one man team because they have Ronaldo? They won a European Championship without him.

We're a bit like Wales then. A team of competent players at their level plus the genius of Gareth Bale.
I'd take that any day over a team of mid table mediocrity with a lone international squad player!

Yes. Wales are a one man team with Bale. Portugal are a one man team with Ronaldo.

Don't understand your point on a lone international squad player..? Nobody was being serious about comparing Skacel and Dobbie, and it shows just how naive you were if you thought otherwise :lol:

It's not meant as a criticism. I apologise if anybody thought I was trying to criticise queens by saying so. I wish we were a one man team.

Ronaldo and Gareth Bale aren't making last ditch tackles or saving penalties as far as I'm aware m8.

Today Jamie Hammill made an outstanding break down the right hand side and put it at Dobbie's feet perfectly for the first goal and you'd back most strikers to finish one on one, Raith didn't give Robinson a save to really make when the game was close, Dobbie wasn't exactly patrolling the back four. Yes he is a very good footballer but teams have had talented individuals and failed. Leigh Griffiths never got Livingston or Dundee promoted, Dobbie didn't get us promoted last time, Falkirk have had a plethora of talented players and they have been stuck in this league, St Mirren have Stevie Mallan linked with better clubs and they are bottom. When you totally depend on one guy to bail you out every week, that's when you get in trouble.

At the moment we have a team that is working very well together. Is having Dobbie a massive boost? absolutely, but he needs a supporting cast to get him in these positions to score goals.

I blame this loss 100% on Garry lock. His substitutions are awful ! Jordan Thomson is by far our best midfielder and he takes him off. Leaving us useless in midfield so go from an even game to being dominated and a comedy of errors.

He makes that substitution every week almost like clockwork. It was the same last week when Thompson was doing fine.

1 hour ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

A major case of sour grapes emoji38.png

Yes Dobbie is a class above but we are far from being a one man team. His arrival has gave us a major goal threat but it has also rubbed off onto the rest of the team.

Maybe the point he was trying to make,signing a player of dobbies standard lifts players and  rubs off on the rest of the players/ teams,similarly our signing of Skacel but sadly that ain,t happened.Take Dobbie out of the team everything in the garden might not be so rosy

First time I have seen Dobbie play since his return, in fact 6 weeks or so since I last saw Queens play.

The last time I saw them was a narrow defeat at Firhill, a game that we were extremely unlucky not to take to penalties.

The difference between then and yesterday was not the inclusion of Dobbie, it was the overall composure of the team, and from what I saw I'd say if we had the same balance to the team as we do now, we would have ripped Thistle a new one back in July.

Yes Dobbie is different gravy, and yes he could be playing at a much higher level, but a man to his word he came back to help to finish what he never finished before, promotion!

Does Dobbie make a difference, he certainly does, but is it just on match day? I'd say no, I would hazard a guess and say that the biggest change I saw yesterday started in the dressing room, which was merely a follow-up from training during the week, whereby the 'Dressing Room' believes in the merits of each other, trusts each other, and wants each other to succeed. This is not all down to Dobbie, I think Gavin Skelton needs to take a heap of credit for nurturing this, Derek Lyle for his cheeky boy but father like figure, Hamil, Dobbie, Robinson etc for the experience and so on.

First half yesterday, seen enough of this last year where we huffed and tried to counter punch now and then so nothing too special to watch (shows how poor Raith were when they couldn't exploit us then), second half Skelton tweaked his tactics and the players looked up for it before the half kicked off, with the only blot being Mvoto scoring right at the death ( whom I thought was Raith's best player by a mile).

It will be interesting to see the highlights and it may just prove how strong the 'Dressing Room' is when we were 2_0 up and coasting through 2 well executed Dobbie goals, then a ball comes through to young Dean Brotherston who has an uhh ohh first attempt to hit the ball then follows it up and puts it in the net, the celebrations were as if he had just won us a cup-tie, and all in all it was just the lads first senior goal in his first league appearance.

So all in all I would say we are anything but a one man team, and personally I think the Raith fans should maybe start worrying in case Gary Locke is a one trick pony.

First goal is a thing of beauty. Once possession is won Hamill and Dobbie both see so early the opportunity that exists and are 5 or 6 yards up the pitch before anyone else moves. Neither has much pace but when they appreciate the game as much they don't need it. The passes from Anderson and Lyle to get them free are perfect too. Grant Anderson reaction to the goal (bottom of the screen) is great.

Second goal is a good lay off from Lyle and great movement and finish from Dobbie although nowhere as close to top corner as I thought at the time. Brennan maybe could have done better but his whole career Dobbie has been catching keepers out by hitting things early before they are set. Brennan isn't the first and won't be the last to be beaten like that.

Dykes work on the third is great. Hilson's initial reaction is head in hands disappointment when he send Lyndon wide instead of in on goal but M'Voto doesn't do anywhere near enough to stop the cross and HIlson somehow has yards of space on the edge of the six yard box. Nobody watching Brotherston either. The entire defence appears basically shocked the cross came in at all.

M'Voto's goal isn't even necessarily on target at that angle though I think it probably just about was. Robinson would surely have saved it though without Hamill's deflection though I don't blame him for trying to play it.

38 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

First goal is a thing of beauty. Once possession is won Hamill and Dobbie both see so early the opportunity that exists and are 5 or 6 yards up the pitch before anyone else moves. Neither has much pace but when they appreciate the game as much they don't need it. The passes from Anderson and Lyle to get them free are perfect too. Grant Anderson reaction to the goal (bottom of the screen) is great.

Classic hit on the break from Queens - one touch, one touch, one touch, goal. Pity Matthews didn't react more quickly to Dobbie's run.

EozTBgi.gif 

An impressive win for us because the players had the self confidence to believe that despite not playing well at all in the first half they would get more chances than Raith and they came out second half and really dominated the proceedings.

On good chances created we thoroughly deserved to win the match.

Thought the pitch didnt didnt help either side - fiery surface despite the watering and ball bouncing quite high making controlled possession football difficult.

As others have said jacobs was outstanding - his work rate and ability to win possession was vital to us. If only he had a bit of composure in the final third he would be some player.With Dobbie's class brushing off on all his forward colleagues we look really dangerous but I would also single out our back 4 and if there is a better central defender at this level than Andy Dowie then I have yet to see him. 

Lee Robinson has been great but I wish he would stop inviting trouble by needlessly getting involved with opposing strikers as he is invariably on the "wind up" and when he raises his hands he runs the risk that an over officious Ref ( and lets be honest there are plenty of them) will see him as the offender. So far he has got away with a few needless exchanges and if he keeps looking for trouble it will surely find him.

Gavin Skelton has done brilliantly - created great team spirit and his tactics are very positive and well executed.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Second goal is a good pay off from Lyle and great movement and finish from Dobbie although nowhere as close to top corner as I thought at the time. Brennan maybe could have done better but his whole career Dobbie has been catching keepers out by hitting things early before they are set. Brennan isn't the first and won't be the last to be beaten like that.

From where I was standing behind the goal I thought the keeper got both hands to it and only helped it into the top corner, I think he definitely should have saved it. It was a nice move to create the space for the shot though.

Good slick passing from Queens for the first but it really shows that Ross Matthews absolutely is not a right back by how far out of position he is. Jason Thomson plays yesterday and that goal nine times out of ten doesn't happen. The second one - Brennan should save it, no where near the corner and he flaps at it. Get Cuthbert back in goals if he's ready.

Archived