New western park, Renfrew.

kilsyth ranger

First visit last night,and have to say for a guy who doesnt like artificial surfaces i was hugely impressed by the whole terrific set up at the the ground,well done to the guys at renfrew ,a know it's all new,but it's a million times better than that soulless place that Petershill play at.

all in,big thumbs up to new western park.

First visit last night,and have to say for a guy who doesnt like artificial surfaces i was hugely impressed by the whole terrific set up at the the ground,well done to the guys at renfrew ,a know it's all new,but it's a million times better than that soulless place that Petershill play at.

Good to hear grounds like this can be good... Not sure if Rob Roys new place will be a copy of Petershill but I'm hoping when it's built you guys will enjoy visiting it the same as you did Renfrew [emoji1303]

Out of interest how did the Friday night game go?

8 minutes ago, LeeKRR1878 said:

Good to hear grounds like this can be good... Not sure if Rob Roys new place will be a copy of Petershill but I'm hoping when it's built you guys will enjoy visiting it the same as you did Renfrew emoji1303.png

Out of interest how did the Friday night game go?

Is it true that the new Rob Roy park will be named Brigadoon?

i enjoyed it lee,but it felt a bit surreal,under lights,everything shiny and new,but great set up,completly different from petershill,as i said i'm not a big fan of these surfaces but was well impressed last night,an gave me food for thought that this may be the way forward.

I'm personally not a fan of the artificial surface and at first I would've preferred Adamslie to be renovated. Sitting at Petershill Park strengthened my opinion on it but I looked into it and for junior clubs it looks like it may be a way forward and some the only way. Each home game is guaranteed to be on so it helps with gate money, saves money with upkeep of the pitch etc. some clubs (such as ourselves) are having it as a community club with more sports clubs using it aswell as funding from council which helps clubs ease financial pressure too

Need to pay a visit, from looking at the pics it's not too dissimilar to New Murrayfield Park.

The trick with 3G is maintaining the surface so it doesn't become matted, you can get bad 3G surfaces, regular brushing and infill replacement doesn't come free.

• 1 year later...
On 13/09/2016 at 16:50, Burnie_man said:

Need to pay a visit, from looking at the pics it's not too dissimilar to New Murrayfield Park.

The trick with 3G is maintaining the surface so it doesn't become matted, you can get bad 3G surfaces, regular brushing and infill replacement doesn't come free.

Your last line is wise words,

I believe that we had a significant four figure repair bill because the maintenance schedule wasn't adhered to even only for a relatively short period,

there tends to be a feeling that once you get a 3G that the "groundsman" is redundant, anything but!

But yes as my cohort has said, we are I think, rightly proud of our new home, a million light years from the s*hole that the old Western Park had become.

We dreamed that we now had Premier Division facilities, and maybe someday it would host Premier games, dream achieved,

now the hard work really starts, getting there was hard, staying there a whole new ball game!

On 10/09/2016 at 10:36, LeeKRR1878 said:

Good to hear grounds like this can be good... Not sure if Rob Roys new place will be a copy of Petershill but I'm hoping when it's built you guys will enjoy visiting it the same as you did Renfrew emoji1303.png

I'm sure we will,Lee.  :(

Firstly well done to Renfrew for getting the new ground, they probably had few options and would have to go down the community route. But I don't share the enthusiasm, it is what it is, functional and modern. The plastic pitch, well let's say as a community facility it fits the bill. Very little in the way of cover or terrace, can't see where any tradition has been retained. The club have done well to create a future but this type of venue is not my favourite for a game of Junior football. Yes better than the old ground, but only because the old place was left to ruin.

On 10 September 2016 at 09:57, kilsyth ranger said:

Great ground. Could do with a bit more terracing though.

Archived