Angus Gunn

Underpants Gnome

A lot of people don't have a straightforward relationship to a single nationality.  I can understand that people who have been born and lived in one country their whole lives, and whose parents are also from that country, might find it hard to understand how others think of themselves - because for them it is straightforward.  I think moving around between countries, having parents from different countries, speaking with a markedly different accent from your compatriots etc. are all things you need to experience if you're to understand.  Personally, I would always say that I am Scottish, but not that I am from Scotland.  If other people want to get hung up about my funny accent (which happens less the longer I've lived here), that's their issue.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A lot of people don't have a straightforward relationship to a single nationality.  I can understand that people who have been born and lived in one country their whole lives, and whose parents are also from that country, might find it hard to understand how others think of themselves - because for them it is straightforward.  I think moving around between countries, having parents from different countries, speaking with a markedly different accent from your compatriots etc. are all things you need to experience if you're to understand.  Personally, I would always say that I am Scottish, but not that I am from Scotland.  If other people want to get hung up about my funny accent (which happens less the longer I've lived here), that's their issue.

Are you Shaun Maloney?

Just now, MarkoRaj said:

Goalkeepers don't reach their potential til much later.
Where were David Marshall and Allan mcgregor playing at 23?

Marshall already had a clean sheet at the Nou Camp, a penalty save from Ronaldinho and an appearance for Scotland.

McGregor was second choice to some shite French keeper at Rangers when Le Guen was in charge.

Just to answer my own question, Marshall couldn't get a game for Celtic and mcgregor was on loan at St Johnstone and dunfermline.

Know who else was in league one at 23

0a0fc552509779ef74727aad537fdd4a.jpg

Marshall not playing 46 games for Norwich in the championship no...

McGregor a full season in the premiership with Dunfermline

Be examples going both ways but Archer being in L1 in England at that age is hardly meaning hell be a cert for number one and we can write everyone else off

So if a dog gives birth in a stable is it having foals?

Utter nonsense - my son was born in England to an English mum but he sees himself as Scottish, I reckon personal choice plays more of a part than where you were born in situations like this. Look at McGeady, McCarthy and Houghton - all Glasgow boys, all chose to play for Ireland - presumably because they say them selves as Irish  :P

Even if you're born in England to two Scottish parents? How about those who are born abroad due to their parents serving in the military? I know someone who was born in Germany to two Scottish parents who were in the Army (in Fallingbostel I think) but they wouldn't consider themselves German...

Yes. You're born in England then you're officially English. You can identify as something else if you want, but English is your official nationality

Archived