Angus Gunn

Underpants Gnome

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

I was born in England and lived there until I was 11.  However, I was always clear I was Scottish.  It'd have been easy to decide to be English and I'd have fitted in better.  Although, ironically my nationality never really caused a problem until we moved back to Scotland.  Some folk really took issue with me "claiming" to be Scottish.  It'd have been easier for me if I'd just said I was English.

Anyway, my point is I can see why Angus Gunn might feel English - especially if he got involved with the youth teams at a relatively young age.  I find it surprising though that with a father that's clearly very passionate about his nationality his son hasn't always wanted to follow in his footsteps.  If my dad had played internationally for Scotland I'd have been desperate to do the same.

If you were born there and lived most of your childhood there, why would you not consider yourself English?

You are English.

13 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

If you were born there and lived most of your childhood there, why would you not consider yourself English?

You are English.

I see what you've done there. 

I was born in England and lived there until I was 11.  My parents were always clear we were just living there for work and would eventually move back north.  I also spent every school holiday on the family croft in the Highlands. 

I've never felt English, I've always felt Scottish.  Indeed, my earliest football memory is cheering on Scotland as a 9 year old during the game against England at Euro 96.  I'd have had an easier time of it if I "chose" to be English (not to mention more sporting success), and no one would have complained.  But hey ho.  I've long since stopped caring what other people think about it.

Angus Gunn clearly feels English, which is fine.  He's just gone the opposite way to me.

36 minutes ago, Forfinn said:

I see what you've done there. 

I was born in England and lived there until I was 11.  My parents were always clear we were just living there for work and would eventually move back north.  I also spent every school holiday on the family croft in the Highlands. 

I've never felt English, I've always felt Scottish.  Indeed, my earliest football memory is cheering on Scotland as a 9 year old during the game against England at Euro 96.  I'd have had an easier time of it if I "chose" to be English (not to mention more sporting success), and no one would have complained.  But hey ho.  I've long since stopped caring what other people think about it.

Angus Gunn clearly feels English, which is fine.  He's just gone the opposite way to me.

Let's not kid on here, you're as Scottish as Rod Stewart. 

I can understand your thinking though, if I was English I'd probably want to be Scottish as well.

58 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I can understand your thinking though, if I was English I'd probably want to be Scottish as well.

Don't be a fanny Tam. The boy's Scottish, it's in his blood.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

Maybe its got f**k all to do with you and you are also a bigoted moron. 

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

The analogy I like to use is: what if my parents had moved from Scotland to Germany for work?  So I've got the same story, just in a totally different country.  Born in Germany, lived in Germany for 11 years, but still brought up to have a distinct Scottish identity.  Does that make me German and not Scottish, despite how I feel?  Some would argue it does, and that's their prerogative, but the only opinion that actually matters is mine.

Anyway, enough about me.  The reason for bringing up my situation in the first place was because I've got a similar backstory to Angus Gunn (I'm just not as good at football), although I suppose I've been back in Scotland since I was 11 unlike him.  I totally understand why he feels English, I would just have expected him to want to follow in his father's footsteps and play for Scotland.

Maybe it's because the whole concept of nationality is a human construct and as such can't be categorised into black and white, and is also why two people with very similar upbringings and backgrounds can end up identifying as being different nationalities.

I hate discussions like this. Same as on Facebook when someone born with a cock gets all tetchy when someone calls them a man as they "identify" as a woman.

You're never sure what to say anymore

This came across at lot more "old manny" than I'd hoped

8 hours ago, RobbieD said:

Tam should be the official voice on deciding what nationality people are.

I was born in London and lived all over the island.  Take your time in deciding what I am.  I need to live with it.

You were born in England, you're English.  Whether you feel drawn to another nation is up to each individual, doesn't change the fact you're English though. HTH.

18 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

You were born in England, you're English.  Whether you feel drawn to another nation is up to each individual, doesn't change the fact you're English though. HTH.

My old brother was born in England spent the first year of his life in England. Funnily enough he can't remember that year. So are you saying my brother who has the same bloodline as me and the same influences growing up as me is a different nationality to me? 

22 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

That logic is so moronic in quite a few ways. But hey, if that's what you believe then that's fine.

Archived