Angus Gunn

Underpants Gnome

Keeper playing for England's under 21's. Meant to have huge amounts of potential, so much so that Guardiola wanted to keep him at City this season to have a better look at him instead of sending him out on loan to the English Championship.

His mum and dad are both Scottish. Infact, his dad is ex Scottish international goalkeeper Bryan Gunn.

Surely we should be looking at this kid to bring him in or around our squad? That's hoping he would choose us.

Makes me fucking despise our youth set ups and the likes of Sbragia that this lad slipped through our net.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was born in Scotland, but spent most of his life in England, reading the below article it was his choice to be honest.

Apparently Scotland were sniffing about during Leveins time but nothing happened.  Whether that was a lack of interest from the player or the SFA is another thing.

Quite a good interview with Gunn Snr here http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bryan-gunn-support-son-angus-6488047

Bit of a non story really.

Born and bred in Norwich, just because his dad played for Scotland doesn't mean he has to. He'll have a job on his hands getting picked ahead of Hart, Forrester and Butland in the next few years though. Who knows maybe in 5-6 years time he hasn't been capped he might opt for us. Just now though it's pretty clear it's a no goer.

Stunning decorations in the back ground though :green

Dont understand how a scottish man could want his kid to play for any other team other than scotland, bryan gunns from my part of the highlands and he should know better.

Maybe he realises his son has no affiliation with Scotland because he spent most of his life in England and isn't still living in the dark ages like yourself

Just goes to show how fluid the concept of nationality is. The boy grew up in England so he feels English. Others like Burke grew up down south but feels Scottish through parentage. Good luck to the kid. 

Burke was born in Kirkcaldy

28 minutes ago, Mccaughey85 said:

He will have an affilation with us in a few years time when england dont want him, can just see the backpage headline now, "I always wanted to follow in my dads footsteps and play fir scotland" yeh right, if dark ages mean integrity then so be it.

No, it just means dark ages.  

If he's good enough, is eligible, and wants to play for us, regardless of the why behind it, then it shouldn't matter what went on before.  Most of the ilk that would complain because "hes no Scottish" will probably just be beguiled by the fact he's named Angus anyway. 

I lived my teenage years as a Scot in England and it was a non-stop barrage of being on the back foot when it came to the national team and defending Scottish football. It's possible the lad, being born down there, found it easier to follow the crowd rather than his dad's influence. Kids are like that - anything to fit in.

I was born in England and lived there until I was 11.  However, I was always clear I was Scottish.  It'd have been easy to decide to be English and I'd have fitted in better.  Although, ironically my nationality never really caused a problem until we moved back to Scotland.  Some folk really took issue with me "claiming" to be Scottish.  It'd have been easier for me if I'd just said I was English.

Anyway, my point is I can see why Angus Gunn might feel English - especially if he got involved with the youth teams at a relatively young age.  I find it surprising though that with a father that's clearly very passionate about his nationality his son hasn't always wanted to follow in his footsteps.  If my dad had played internationally for Scotland I'd have been desperate to do the same.

Archived