Seville

Girth

Anyone been? I'm heading there next month for four nights. Looks beautiful. Got a few ideas of stuff to see/do but always helpful getting opinions of people who have been.

Any top tips please troops?

Been quite a few times, but only once since the new metro opened - would have advised buses are comprehensive and plentiful but not sure that's still the case. Biggies -
Obvs - cathedral, giralda (don't make eye contact with the gypsies selling shitey heather), parque de Maria Luisa, torre del oro, having a womble down the river, particularly on the Triana side. Eats and drinks, Alfalfa is just as lively as Santa Cruz and half the price, although you won't get much English spoken. Blueberry frozen yogurt from VIPs in Los Remedios. A large portion of Sevilla's economy seems to run on bumping US exchange students so stay away from any bars that have posters for NFL/NBA or your 1€ beer suddenly becomes 5€ - Calle Betis is the main spot for this. If you can catch a game at the Sanchez Pizjuan, do, it's next to a shopping mall and bus terminal so it's a piece of piss to get to. If you do wanna go to an English speaking bar, Flaherty's near the cathedral is probably your best bet. The Uni is worth a look round,
it's the old tobacco factory where Carmen was set. Block parties are pretty common - instead of drinking in bars, folks'll buy a bottle of something, some mixers and some ice and you'll get an impromptu gathering round whoever's car's got the biggest speakers for music. La Carboneria or Casa Anselma for flamenco. El Corte Ingles department store probably cheapest for bulk fags and booze if you're bringing that back. I'll add to this if I can remember much else.

on mobile and tired, apologies for crappy formatting

EDIT - afternoon tea at the poshest hotel in the city - the name escapes me - might be the Alfonso 14th - is meant to be spectacular, but when I went the locals all still had mixed feelings about the place as it was Franco's pad when he was in town - we didn't go.

On ‎09‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 18:53, The_Kincardine said:

Seville is a really nice city with excellent restaurants - plus I love Spanish food.  I'd chart my 4 days based on what/where I want to eat.

How many of you are going?  I have this handy calculator if you're unsure...

Cheers. Just moi!

Are the laydeez tasty?

Nice looking and busy city , boiling hot in the summer , to the point where it can be unbearable.

Plenty tourists there - so watch out for pickpockets (rife in Seville , especially around the cathedral and work in large teams ) , and also watch out for restaurants adding extra items onto your billthat you never had. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can get by as cheap as you like really.  Buy meats/heeses from a market to put on bread for lunch and then eat cheaply at night.  It's a lot less expensive than places like Madrid and Barcelona if you've been to either of those places before.

• 1 year later...

Looking at going here next May.
Looks like the best way is to fly to Malaga then train to Seville.
Other option is train to Manchester then fly direct but reckon Edinburgh-Malaga- train to Seville is the best way.
@Boostin' Kev how did you get there?
Accomodation wise, we'll get an AirB&B . Got a few looked out with rooftop terrace

I'm in Seville at the moment. Flew direct from Gatwick with connecting flight from Inverness. There's a fast train from Malaga now but you have to take a big dog's leg via Cordoba, so going via Madrid is just as quick, and remember in both cases you have to get from the airport to the train station. It's worth booking the train in advance to get a cheap price, and the fast trains can be full on the day. Here's some info on trains, it can get complicated between the different categories of train and ticket. https://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm I bought mine for a Cordoba trip tomorrow direct from Renfe, if you click on "welcome" at the top you get the English version.  Given that there's a direct train from Edinburgh to Manchester Airport that's the way to go for the least hassle journey or if you have much luggage I would say.

P.S. You can get a much posher and bigger apartment for less money if you stay a little out of the centre, the public transport's good and the cycle lanes are much better than in Scotland. Easier to get to know the locals too. If you can afford to splurge go for the centre though.

I'm in Seville at the moment. Flew direct from Gatwick with connecting flight from Inverness. There's a fast train from Malaga now but you have to take a big dog's leg via Cordoba, so going via Madrid is just as quick, and remember in both cases you have to get from the airport to the train station. It's worth booking the train in advance to get a cheap price, and the fast trains can be full on the day. Here's some info on trains, it can get complicated between the different categories of train and ticket. https://www.seat61.com/Spain-trains.htm I bought mine for a Cordoba trip tomorrow direct from Renfe, if you click on "welcome" at the top you get the English version.  Given that there's a direct train from Edinburgh to Manchester Airport that's the way to go for the least hassle journey or if you have much luggage I would say.
P.S. You can get a much posher and bigger apartment for less money if you stay a little out of the centre, the public transport's good and the cycle lanes are much better than in Scotland. Easier to get to know the locals too. If you can afford to splurge go for the centre though.

Thanks for the info [emoji106]
I'll look into it.
I've got friends going to Malaga in May.
They've offered us to stay at there place for a night if needed. He reckons it's a lovely train journey from Malaga to Seville.
So that could be an option as well.
I'll speak to my GF and see what she thinks about the different options.

1 hour ago, Heart of Northern said:

Thanks for the info emoji106.png
I'll look into it.
I've got friends going to Malaga in May.
They've offered us to stay at there place for a night if needed. He reckons it's a lovely train journey from Malaga to Seville.
So that could be an option as well.
I'll speak to my GF and see what she thinks about the different options.

A meal out and night with friends in Malaga enroute sounds good, staying there myself in April. It's doesn't usually cost anymore to fly there to one airport and back from another, so there's another option. Seville is spectacular!

Struggling to find a bar that will show the Slovenia game. Just tried the Clan Scottish bar, but they don't think they have the channel. Don't speak English either which is refreshing, but not very helpful for advice I can understand. Any tips welcome.

P.s Think I'm sorted, Merchant Bar.

On 06/10/2017 at 10:42, Heart of Northern said:

Looking at going here next May.
Looks like the best way is to fly to Malaga then train to Seville.
Other option is train to Manchester then fly direct but reckon Edinburgh-Malaga- train to Seville is the best way.
@Boostin' Kev how did you get there?
Accomodation wise, we'll get an AirB&B . Got a few looked out with rooftop terrace

Alright HoN, no sure why I never saw your post. We travelled around Spain that year starting at Barcelona. If I was to go back I'd fly to Malaga and get train rather than travel to Manchester. Train journeys there are much nicer than in the UK. Great city, you'd love it. Would recommend avoiding summer temperatures though. :)

Even now it's boiling in the afternoons. Best time for sightseeing is in the mornings when it's cooler and less tourists about. Doesn't get uncomfortably hot till around 2pm, then the air in the shade seems to warm up till around 6pm when it starts cooling a bit. Recommend setting off early if going on day trips to Cordoba or Cadiz for those reasons, both are worth it by the way.

Archived