Montenegro

blackislekillie

Avoid Podgorica as it's a pointless bin. The historical capital of Cetinje instead is well worth visiting, about forty-five minutes drive south-west. It has a very interesting national museum as well as an orthodox monastery in the hills surrounding the town, Kotor Bay is, well, Kotor Bay: i'd recommend going out to the smaller towns around the bay like Perast as well as seeing Kotor town itself. Didn't make it all the way round to Herceg Novi. 

In Kotor town I'd recommend drinking at the waterfront bars running north from the old town centre itself, which is a little too touristy, especially when cruise passengers are around during the day. There's also a fantastic Montenegrin grill-place called Tanjga just south of the old town and port, where you can get a piles of expertly cooked meat for a few Euros. 

Cheaper than Dalmatia, but still pricey if you're not careful. Places like Kotor in particular have seen a lot of high end investment over the last decade. It's a tiny country so perhaps find somewhere nice to base yourself and explore from there, depends on how much time you have, I suppose.

Sveti Stefan is worth a visit, but I found most of the coastal towns similar and if going back would concentrate on one. The mountains are beautiful and well worth a visit, you can even hike over the border into Kosovo via the same route that refugees took. A trip to Shkoder/Shkodra in Albania could make for an interesting day to give you some constrast between the two countries.

Podgorica is the only European capital city I've not visited, so I'll head there eventually, if only to see if it's really as bad as some people say (I doubt it).

It serves no purpose to a traveller, other than as an overnight rest after the Belgrade train. Tito moved the capital from Cetinje after 1945 because Podgorica (Titograd under his regime) held no historical value for Montenegrin nationalists or to anyone else in the republic. Which means that as a destination you'd be as well visiting Cumbernauld. 

Podgorica isn't especially appealing to a tourist, indeed I'm not actually convinced there's any tourist attractions, at all...

But it's not that bad a city by any stretch of the imagination. I flew there from Rome and spent a day/night in it, which was enough. Perfectly pleasant and exceptionally cheap. If anyone does go, get yourself to Hotel Ambassador for a couple of pints and something to eat.

Kotor is lovely, would echo heading out to Perast or another one of the villages dotted around the bay. Plenty boats head out. Would definitely head upto to Njegos Mausoleum and Cetijne. I fancied a trip down to Shkoder but didn't get the chance unfortunately. Budva seemed very nice for the short time I was there.

Montenegro is great. Hope joining the EU works out for it. Lovely place with great people.

14 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Which means that as a destination you'd be as well visiting Cumbernauld. 

I realise that for the vast majority of humans, Cumbernauld would be the last place they'd choose for a holiday, but if you want to get a fair view of what Scotland's like you need to see more than Edinburgh and St Andrews. It's what I like about travelling for sport, you end up in parts of the world you would never see otherwise.

Tirana has a similar history to Podgorica: it barely featured on maps of Albania until the thirties and then the atheists ripped down what few historical buildings it had. It doesn't even have a train or bus station. Although it's in the running for Europe's ugliest capital (like I say, I've not been to Podgorica), it's certainly an interesting place and you can spend a good few days there without getting bored.

On 9 September 2016 at 15:43, vikingTON said:

There's also a fantastic Montenegrin grill-place called Tanjga just south of the old town and port, where you can get a piles of expertly cooked meat for a few Euros. 

Heading to Kotor on Saturday. Will give this gaff a try.

• 1 month later...

I done the day trip to Montenegro from Dubrovnik last month. We were taken to a little man made island not far over the border and some of the mountain scenery was absolutely stunning. Not the greatest of photos but that's a rough idea
IMG_1476817785.976481.thumb.jpg.141017a2

We were then taken to a place called Kotor. We went to the place a little like Dubrovnik with like the big castley looking building which had bars and restaurants etc. All reasonably priced

Our last stop was a place which name escapes me, it's supposedly the Russian Magaluf/Ibiza. Very cheap for a pint €2 in the biker pub. It's just your typical seaside resort tbh. There's far more than the beach but we only had 90minutes free time. The place was destroyed by an earthquake in 1978

It's worth going for the women alone

On 18/10/2016 at 20:15, HairyBawz said:

Our last stop was a place which name escapes me, it's supposedly the Russian Magaluf/Ibiza. Very cheap for a pint €2 in the biker pub. It's just your typical seaside resort tbh. There's far more than the beach but we only had 90minutes free time. The place was destroyed by an earthquake in 1978

It's worth going for the women alone

Budva. Probably my least favourite place that I visited in Montenegro. Point taken with regards to the women though. Wasn't a massive fan of the biker pub either.

Archived