Roker Rover hits Peterhead

Just three Scottish league grounds left for me now and as Sunderland's home game this week has been shunted back to the Monday night by those lovely people at SKY TV, I have decided to take the opportunity to tick off another one. All three of the sides I have left are at home on Saturday but as this is a solo trip and I am hoping to persuade some mates to visit the last one with me at least, I have decided to bite the bullet and do the mammoth trek that is Peterhead and get the hard miles out of the way.

Working on Friday, so the plan at the moment is to leave work around 3pm pitch tent up at Kinross and take in BSC Glasgow v Civil Service Strollers at Alloa. Leave the tent at Kinross and drive up to Peterhead for the match and then back to Kinross after the game. Also looking at going to see Glasgow City Ladies v Celtic Ladies at Airdrie on Sunday afternoon.

Downside of this means I will be driving Saturday so wont be able to enjoy a few beers pre or post match, but the plus side for me is that I get home at a half reasonable time on Sunday instead of stupid O'clock if I stay in Peterhead and have a few beers and then can't start driving home till after lunch. Might squeeze in a cheeky one pre game in your clubhouse bar if visitors are allowed?

As always on my/our trek through the Scottish leagues, I will be sporting the red and white stripes of my beloved Sunderland AFC so feel free to come and say hello if you spot me.

PS - I might bring you luck as the only time our paths have crossed previously while I have been doing the 42 was at Hampden Park when you won 5-0 v Queens Park. I was quite late getting to that game as had already been to St Mirren v Hibernian on the lunchtime and ended up in the nearest turnstile which just happened to be the away end.

2 hours ago, Roker Rover said:

PS -  only time our paths have crossed previously while I have been doing the 42 was at Hampden Park when you won 5-0 v Queens Park. 

Luck had nothing to do with it. That was probably the worst team in our history. Still, if I spot you in their social club on Saturday I'll let you buy me a drink 

13 hours ago, Roker Rover said:

Just three Scottish league grounds left for me now and as Sunderland's home game this week has been shunted back to the Monday night by those lovely people at SKY TV, I have decided to take the opportunity to tick off another one. All three of the sides I have left are at home on Saturday but as this is a solo trip and I am hoping to persuade some mates to visit the last one with me at least, I have decided to bite the bullet and do the mammoth trek that is Peterhead and get the hard miles out of the way.

Working on Friday, so the plan at the moment is to leave work around 3pm pitch tent up at Kinross and take in BSC Glasgow v Civil Service Strollers at Alloa. Leave the tent at Kinross and drive up to Peterhead for the match and then back to Kinross after the game. Also looking at going to see Glasgow City Ladies v Celtic Ladies at Airdrie on Sunday afternoon.

Downside of this means I will be driving Saturday so wont be able to enjoy a few beers pre or post match, but the plus side for me is that I get home at a half reasonable time on Sunday instead of stupid O'clock if I stay in Peterhead and have a few beers and then can't start driving home till after lunch. Might squeeze in a cheeky one pre game in your clubhouse bar if visitors are allowed?

As always on my/our trek through the Scottish leagues, I will be sporting the red and white stripes of my beloved Sunderland AFC so feel free to come and say hello if you spot me.

PS - I might bring you luck as the only time our paths have crossed previously while I have been doing the 42 was at Hampden Park when you won 5-0 v Queens Park. I was quite late getting to that game as had already been to St Mirren v Hibernian on the lunchtime and ended up in the nearest turnstile which just happened to be the away end.

Just get pished especially if your going to watch Peterhead v queen's park.

On 7 September 2016 at 15:05, blueone said:

Allow plenty of driving time. The last 30 odd miles from Aberdeen to Peterhead will take an hour or so.

Deep bloody joy! As if the journey wasn't long enough.

It's hard to think about that play off game without wincing.

Might already have asked but what game did you watch at EEP?

Thoroughly enjoyed my weekend despite the weather at the campsite in Kinross on Friday night being abysmal. 

Great weather yesterday though and the set up at Balmoor and particularly the quality of the pitch is excellent. I thought you deserved the victory and it was a great header for the first goal.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

1 hour ago, Roker Rover said:

Thoroughly enjoyed my weekend despite the weather at the campsite in Kinross on Friday night being abysmal. 

Great weather yesterday though and the set up at Balmoor and particularly the quality of the pitch is excellent. I thought you deserved the victory and it was a great header for the first goal.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

What teams you got left?

Think I saw you once at Stranraer, when we beat them 2-0...

On 9/7/2016 at 10:09, NewBlue said:

The downstairs bar at the ground is a public bar so anyone is welcome in there :cheers

On 9/9/2016 at 19:23, The Mantis said:

Peterheid's pies are amazing.

Both statements very true. I'd say we're quite blessed at lower league grounds in Scotland with regard to courtesy and hospitality and people making the best of what they have available.  Balmoor is right up there with the best. Fitba ruined a good day out to be honest. 

22 hours ago, CEMSFC said:

What teams you got left?

Think I saw you once at Stranraer, when we beat them 2-0...

Just Brechin City and Ayr United left now although I am feeling guilty about including Dundee United as I did that many years ago while working up there. It was a reserve midweek match and I paid 50p on the door and only stayed for one half, so might have to get back to Tannadice as well and do it properly. A Dundee United/Brechin double header over a Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun would be ideal.

We were indeed at that Stranraer game v Stenny.

Come to think of it, did Ochilview for an East Stirlingshire v Dunfermline cup game and went back last season to see Stenny v Brechin but it got snowed off at half time, so I have not seen a full Stenny home game either. Depends just how pedantic you want to be really.

8 hours ago, Roker Rover said:

Just Brechin City and Ayr United left now although I am feeling guilty about including Dundee United as I did that many years ago while working up there. It was a reserve midweek match and I paid 50p on the door and only stayed for one half, so might have to get back to Tannadice as well and do it properly. A Dundee United/Brechin double header over a Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun would be ideal.

We were indeed at that Stranraer game v Stenny.

Come to think of it, did Ochilview for an East Stirlingshire v Dunfermline cup game and went back last season to see Stenny v Brechin but it got snowed off at half time, so I have not seen a full Stenny home game either. Depends just how pedantic you want to be really.

Most people just include Stenny/East Stirling as one. Since they got relegated, you have to do their replacement, don't you? 

• 1 month later...
On 9/13/2016 at 08:29, CEMSFC said:

Most people just include Stenny/East Stirling as one. Since they got relegated, you have to do their replacement, don't you? 

Did Edinburgh City as part of the Lowland league ground hop last season so just Ayr and Brechin left. May well be a new one next season though as East Stirling don't seem likely to come back up and Edinburgh are finding life tough at the top. Oh well I suppose I can tolerate one more visit to you cold and unwelcoming country;)

Archived