Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

6 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

Some good news that our GDP figures today are exceeding forecasts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42831655

And for a comparison of our GDP growth compared to the whole of the EU. It doesn't stack up too badly but who knows what will happen in the future?

united-kingdom-gdp-per-capita-ppp.png?s=

european-union-gdp-per-capita-ppp.png?s=

Bit surprising that we're only just above the EU average when you have all the countries like Greece, Romania, Baltic countries etc bringing the average down.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Bit surprising that we're only just above the EU average when you have all the countries like Greece, Romania, Baltic countries etc bringing the average down.

Aye but you also have Luxembourg, Ireland , Denmark, Netherlands, Austria, Finland, Germany and France which have a higher GDP per capita than us.

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/gdp-per-capita?continent=europe

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

Aye but you also have Luxembourg, Ireland , Denmark, Netherlands, Austria, Finland, Germany and France which have a higher GDP per capita than us.

https://tradingeconomics.com/country-list/gdp-per-capita?continent=europe

So basically we're a bit shit. Not good news after all.

15 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

I'm more of an optimist. We're not that Shit. Just not that good either. 

I hope that all those brexiteers are right and we can grow our economy quicker outside the EU. If we ever leave. I'm still not completely convinced we will.

I’d describe you as an arsehole rather than an optimist.

You take stats that are obviously not positive in comparative terms and try to portray them as something else.

Edited by Granny Danger

Some good news that our GDP figures today are exceeding forecasts.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42831655
And for a comparison of our GDP growth compared to the whole of the EU. It doesn't stack up too badly but who knows what will happen in the future?
united-kingdom-gdp-growth-annual.png?s=ukgrybzy&v=201801261005v&d1=20080101&d2=20181231

united-kingdom-gdp-per-capita-ppp.png?s=gbrnygdppcapppcd&v=201707122028v

european-union-gdp-annual-growth-rate.png?s=europeanugdpanngrora&v=201712071049v&d1=20080101&d2=20181231

european-union-gdp-per-capita-ppp.png?s=europeanugdppercappp&v=201707122028v

Those charts run to 2016
Before the UK hit the self destruct button

IMG_2514.jpg

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:
48 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:
You take stats that are obviously not positive in comparative terms and try to portray them as something else.

Bit tough that GD

I think topcat’s post shows that it’s not.

55 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Possibly no need for the insult.

You can disagree if you like but our GDP growth was going along better than the EU until they began with more QE and now they are reaping the benefits while we have the shitstorm of uncertainty caused by the Brexit vote coupled with little room to move interest rates and/or more QE. It was no surprise that the GDP has taken a hit but the figures today show some cause for optimism. Maybe simply because of us hitching a ride on the increase in global growth. I don't know. I'm just an arsehole. :(

1 minute ago, Suspect Device said:

Possibly no need for the insult.

You can disagree if you like but our GDP growth was going along better than the EU until they began with more QE and now they are reaping the benefits while we have the shitstorm of uncertainty caused by the Brexit vote coupled with little room to move interest rates and/or more QE. It was no surprise that the GDP has taken a hit but the figures today show some cause for optimism. Maybe simply because of us hitching a ride on the increase in global growth. I don't know. I'm just an arsehole. :(

Acceptance is the first step towards change.  At some point in your life you will feel the need to thank me.  Don’t bother; accept it as a gift from me to you.

11 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Acceptance is the first step towards change.  At some point in your life you will feel the need to thank me.  Don’t bother; accept it as a gift from me to you.

The irony here is that I'm one of the few posters on here that didn't think you're an arsehole.

12 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Those charts run to 2016
Before the UK hit the self destruct button

IMG_2514.jpg

The line graphs do run to 2017 and show the UK's post vote dip. The EU is doing better now with the help of the QE and will be looking to hold back on that I assume.

Just noticed that the 'better than expected' figures announced yesterday are the preliminary figures so they could go either way once the revised figures are announced.

Edit: And get that phone charged.  :P

Edited by Suspect Device

23 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

The line graphs do run to 2017 and show the UK's post vote dip. The EU is doing better now with the help of the QE and will be looking to hold back on that I assume.

Just noticed that the 'better than expected' figures announced yesterday are the preliminary figures so they could go either way once the revised figures are announced.

Edit: And get that phone charged.  :P

Maybe that means "not as bad as feared"?

The next few weeks will be interesting.  

There are still huge numbers of Tory MPs who think that we have a strong bargaining position.  Once it becomes clear that the EU will retain all its ‘power’ during the transitional phase the Hard Brexiteers will create a showdown.

I hope it will cause serious divisions within the Tory Party; can’t see May personally being challenged, that would be suicidal, but we can only hope.

I just hope Corbyn has the guile to take advantage of the likely chaos.  Sadly I’m not sure he does.

Apologies in advance for a link to the Daily Express but it was a link from a link at the CNN website.

This is what we are up against.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/910981/Brexit-news-EU-UK-latest-deal-date-European-Union-David-Davis

Edited by Granny Danger

4 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Maybe that means "not as bad as feared"?

Aye, possibly. Any glimmer of hope is to be welcomed though. I certainly hope that the global growth helps us get over the uncertain times and the coming recession isn't as bad as some are predicting.

Here's a balanced article about the GDP figures.

http://www.iii.co.uk/articles/477801/do-these-uk-growth-figures-mean-were-brexit-proof