Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The post Brexit customs system favoured by Boris and his pro-Brexit buddies could cost £20 billion each year; that’s £7 billion more that the UK’s current net contribution.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44229606

The quotes from John Deadwood are classic. You can almost here his brain computing as you read it before he retreats to a position of (I paraphrase) "actually that's not very good" having earlier dismissed it with a wave of the hand style aloofness.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

The post Brexit customs system favoured by Boris and his pro-Brexit buddies could cost £20 billion each year; that’s £7 billion more that the UK’s current net contribution.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44229606

Just saw that. Brexit £20bn just so Boris, Gove and Farage can get blue passports.

Stuff them. Bring on Indyref2 a.s.a.p.

A long read of a talk by Sir Ivan Rogers on why the options favoured both by Remainers and Brexiteers are fantasy-island pish, and can't happen.

worth a careful read. The "debates" in the mainstream media on Brexit are like a serious discussion on the repercussions of Turkmenistan invading Montserrat.

"But we are now at a point where reality starts to bite on all sides. And it’s time soon to decide what are feasible outlines of solutions even if it then takes years, as it will, to fill in all the substance.

Domestically, we can have a 21st century thirty years war in which true path Leavers resume the campaign for the hardest possible clean break Brexit and reject any economic deal the EU could ever conceivably sign; and the hard Remainers say that everything bar remaining or reapplying for full membership is an unacceptable loss from the status quo. We can have two different “stab in the back” legends running concurrently. Given that, as the Swiss always correctly observe, no negotiation with the EU ever ends, and there is no permanent, completely stable end state, we could indeed actually have this sterile debate for ever…

But the sooner we realise there are no perfect choices, that there are serious trade-offs between sovereignty and market access interests and that we are best off if we make stone cold sober judgments of where sovereignty at the national level can be real and effective, and where it is purely notional and actually a material loss of control, the better for the UK"

Image result for Fantasy Island
Edited by Ivo den Bieman

Recently watched that film "Castaway" with Tom Hanks - although I have seen it before.

Without wanting to give too much away, he finds himself on an island, nobody knows he is there and he endures a lot of hardship.

The thing is - it could all have been solved so quickly and easily if he had just thought about it.

He could simply have had a vote to leave - "I vote to leave this island, any objections" - and that would it - job done.

.. or am I missing something?

3 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Recently watched that film "Castaway" with Tom Hanks - although I have seen it before.

Without wanting to give too much away, he finds himself on an island, nobody knows he is there and he endures a lot of hardship.

The thing is - it could all have been solved so quickly and easily if he had just thought about it.

He could simply have had a vote to leave - "I vote to leave this island, any objections" - and that would it - job done.

.. or am I missing something?

Wilson was a Remainer.  Tied vote.  Status quo prevails.

On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 23:22, Cerberus said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/may/25/galileo-uk-will-build-own-satellite-system-if-frozen-out-of-eu-brexit

Philip Hammond says UK to ‘go it alone’ after Brexit if Brussels carries out access threat.

Image result for satellite lego

2-PJuVSWfFCFBUXeB_1bjpOwUnE=.gif

On 23/05/2018 at 01:33, ancientnoise said:

Just on that:

Fishing has changed radically over the past few decades and is now the off-shore equivalent in many ways to chicken factories.

We can exempt all those wee boats that set out from Crail and so on to catch shellfish. That's what's left.

So.. 

1)  How many fishermen are there?

2) Why is  this deemed so important?

around 11,800 fishermen were active in the UK. Approximately 2,300 were part-time

UK vessels landed 701 thousand tonnes of sea fish into the UK and abroad with a value of £936 million

8 hours ago, ancientnoise said:

That's a vague answer. 

"Were" for the first question, or "are"?

Second question isn't answered. You given a couple of numbers that are floating in mid-air. Context required.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fishing-industry-in-2016-statistics-published

Where I got the figures. There WERE that many employed in the latest figures I could find. No idea today's figures. Forgot this place was pedants corner. I was just giving an idea of how many people were employed and what industry was worth. I assumed that would have answered the questions. I guess I was wrong.

As an aside, I believe that folk who provide the food I consume are pretty important, even if 'all' farmers and fishermen are gammon, racist, xenophobic brexiteers.

Edit; looking at the site again I noticed it said we are actually a net importer of fish. That's strange for an island nation I would have thought. 

Edited by Suspect Device

Edit; looking at the site again I noticed it said we are actually a net importer of fish. That's strange for an island nation I would have thought. 

It didn’t seem quite as strange as an implied average fish price of £1.30/kg

The “net importer” is probably based on value as opposed to tonnage (The UK is a net exporter of tea)

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2018/may/28/tv-giant-discovery-to-shut-european-hub-as-it-mulls-post-brexit-plan

TV giant Discovery to shut European hub as it mulls post-Brexit plan

Discovery is to shut its European broadcasting base in London as the US TV giant behind channels including Animal Planet and Eurosport mulls post-Brexit plans for a new continental hub

10 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fishing-industry-in-2016-statistics-published

Where I got the figures. There WERE that many employed in the latest figures I could find. No idea today's figures. Forgot this place was pedants corner. I was just giving an idea of how many people were employed and what industry was worth. I assumed that would have answered the questions. I guess I was wrong.

As an aside, I believe that folk who provide the food I consume are pretty important, even if 'all' farmers and fishermen are gammon, racist, xenophobic brexiteers.

In the case of farm produce it’s the mainly migrant labour that provide the food you consume, not their xenophobic employers.

10 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

We sell the good North Sea fish abroad and buy in cheap Asian farmed fish.