Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

How do you control immigration with a 100 mile open border between the EU and the UK in Ireland. So much for that red line or will Westminster just assume no Romanian or Slovakian will be desperate enough to reach the UK that they will settle in N Ireland and hence we can just control via the sea and air borders in mainland UK as we do now.

8 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

How do you control immigration with a 100 mile open border between the EU and the UK in Ireland. So much for that red line or will Westminster just assume no Romanian or Slovakian will be desperate enough to reach the UK that they will settle in N Ireland and hence we can just control via the sea and air borders in mainland UK as we do now.

Are there no checks now going between NI and Scotland? I got quizzed by the cops coming off the ferry at Larne years ago, and getting on at Stranraer,  and obviously flying you need ID.

Edited by welshbairn

3 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

DL with aer lingus. Passport Ryanair but that's just to confirm your ID.

But they can tell straightaway if you have the right to be in the UK, and arrested/deported if not. An open border between Eire and NI would not allow free movement into Great Britain is what I'm suggesting, even if the controls are the same as they are now.

Edited by welshbairn

But they can tell straightaway if you have the right to be in the UK, and arrested/deported if not. An open border between Eire and NI would not allow free movement into Great Britain is what I'm suggesting, even if the controls are the same as they are now.

But are there not currently passport controls between France and Eire (ferry) anyway?

7 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

But are there not currently passport controls between France and Eire (ferry) anyway?

Aye, but EU passport holders are allowed to pass freely unless they're on the watch list. With an open border between the South and North they could get into NI without restriction but they would still have their papers checked to get to mainland Britain. I haven't been on the ferry since the Troubles so I don't know what checks are made now.

Edited by welshbairn

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Aye, but EU passport holders are allowed to pass freely unless they're on the watch list. With an open border between the South and North they could get into NI without restriction but they would still have their papers checked to get to mainland Britain. I haven't been on the ferry since the Troubles so I don't know what checks are made now.

It's been a few years since I was on the ferry, but there weren't any as I recall.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

They might want to know which school you went to.

All this seems to suggest NI is no longer part of the UK. Once any EU national crosses the alleged to be open border from RoI that's them effectively into the UK, access to benefits, work etc. It's total lunacy to even contemplate that this meets the red line on immigration the rabid brexiteers demand.

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

All this seems to suggest NI is no longer part of the UK. Once any EU national crosses the alleged to be open border from RoI that's them effectively into the UK, access to benefits, work etc. It's total lunacy to even contemplate that this meets the red line on immigration the rabid brexiteers demand.

How would they get benefits without the right papers, similarly legal work?

How would they get benefits without the right papers, similarly legal work?

What papers, there has been no mention of what will be required, think how many non EU citizens are in the UK on EU "papers / documents" just now. Unscrupulous employers will still be looking for cheap Labour (probably more so post Brexit) so that demand will fuel a trade legal or otherwise which will be facilitated by an open border in Ireland, it simply won't work for immigration or trade, tariffs etc. Smuggling will be off the scale !

1 minute ago, Billy Jean King said:

Smuggling will be off the scale !

I agree with that bit for sure. Always wanted to become a smuggler since I realised driving trains might get a bit boring. New opportunities with Brexit!

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The Police or and Security Guards have a look in your boot at times at Cairnryan. 

Leaving Belfast nothing. 

Looks like the MSM is starting to recognise that we’ve not really moved forward.  It will be interesting to see what the weekend papers and politics shows make of it.

I’m pleasantly surprised the hardline Tories are not up in arms.  Im beginning to think this could be our best chance of avoiding Brexit completely and imagined they would have recognised this too.