Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

http://www.parliament.uk/business/committees/committees-a-z/lords-select/eu-select-committee-/news-parliament-2017/brexit-deal-no-deal-published/
DQbgmUmVwAEspO5.jpg
So when May said that "no deal was better than a bad deal" she was talking shite.
Can someone give me 1 thing that Leave said about Brexit that wasn't a total lie?

365 million a week extra for NHS

So an agreement has been reached; or has it?  Sky website has a text of the agreement:

Citizens’ rights - bit too obscure for me to understand tbh.

Irish border - contains this bit: “51.  Both Parties will establish mechanisms to ensure the implementation and oversight of any specific arrangement to safeguard the integrity of the EU Internal Market and the Customs Union.”

That sounds like nothing has been agreed and it’s just kicking the issue into the long grass.

Divorce Bill - a mechanism has been agreed to determine this.

Looks like a major fudge.

34 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

So an agreement has been reached; or has it?  Sky website has a text of the agreement:

Citizens’ rights - bit too obscure for me to understand tbh.

Irish border - contains this bit: “51.  Both Parties will establish mechanisms to ensure the implementation and oversight of any specific arrangement to safeguard the integrity of the EU Internal Market and the Customs Union.”

That sounds like nothing has been agreed and it’s just kicking the issue into the long grass.

Divorce Bill - a mechanism has been agreed to determine this.

Looks like a major fudge.

Erm yeah, all a bit of a fudge.

On Citizen's Rights if I heard correct they'll be regulated by the UK courts,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Spoiler

.................with oversight by the EU ones.

On the Irish border, a soft one, but a seat for the DUP at the negotiating table when issues arise giving the DUP opportunities to dip into the pork barrel in years to come.

A mechanism has indeed been agreed for the Divorce Bill, the EU can whistle for it & Boris will send it over.

Edited by btb

From my understanding of it it's SM & CU along with free movement of people (with some clever word play - alignment)? So we pay £50b and have an inferior trade deal with the EU than we have now - what was the point in all this then?

If I understand what just happened this is slowly turning into a soft Brexit in all but name, because Westminster politicians have finally faced reality of how much power and influence they really have nowadays. Looks like the DUP did something good for the rest of the UK when they insisted that anything that applied to NI had to happen elsewhere as well. Eliminating the east-west barrier keeps the Union more secure where NI is concerned, but not with Scotland because it puts independence for Scotland in the EU back on the agenda again as a viable alternative for the referendum swinging pragmatists, if hard borders are no longer in play, so I suspect Nicola Sturgeon is doing cartwheels around her office in metaphorical terms right now.

Probably unhelpful for the press to call this a deal as it only establishes "sufficient progress" has been made to talk about the future UK/EU relationship. It could still yet fall apart. 

I think the Irish border problem has simply been booted down the road, personally. NI leaves CU &SM but there will be regulatory alignment on "areas necessary to ensure North/South cooperation" if the UK and EU can't agree a deal. Oh, and Stormont can block it if this means creating barriers between NI and GB. Doesn't fundamentally solve the issue, IMO - proper functioning is too heavily dependent on future UK/EU deal.