Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I've got a strong feeling the next EU embarrassment for the UK goverment is going to be this "regulation alignment"  I'm sure the EU was willing to agree to N.Ireland having this to ensure a soft border with the Republic.

When the DUP made it clear they didn't want that as it differed to the rest of the UK, the UK government started talking about "regulation alignment" for the whole of the UK.

I'll be amazed if the EU agree to this, as I'm sure they will demand SM & CU for the UK or a hard Brexit. May and her colleagues seem to believe they will get what was originally planned for N.I and I just don't see that at all.

That in itself will cause more embarrassment  and humiliation to May when the EU knock it back.  

57 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

That doesn't sound like something I'd come out with. Must be someone else.

Probably. There were a few posters voting by which personalities on either campaigns they hated most. Bit daft I thought at the time.

I don’t think the EU’s position is going to soften on the Irish border.

ROI politicians where obviously satisfied with the proposed wording of the agreement and had every reason to assume that May had the necessary backing for it.

It’s also looking like May is unwilling to stand up to the hard line Brexiteers, one of the few options that would probably get her majority support in both Houses of Parliament.

6 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/dec/06/uk-has-48-hours-to-agree-potential-deal-or-brexit-talks-cannot-progress?CMP=share_btn_tw

The EU have given the UK 48 hours to get a solution for the Irish Border or the negotiations cannot proceed.

It is an unsquarable circle.  This was explained countless times before the vote. You can't have a borderless exit. It is fundamental to creating boundaries that you create boundaries.

2 minutes ago, ancientnoise said:

Come on, Arlene.

4 hours ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

It is an unsquarable circle.  This was explained countless times before the vote. You can't have a borderless exit. It is fundamental to creating boundaries that you create boundaries.

We want to leave but we don’t want any negative impact as a result of leaving.

Guest Bob Mahelp

There was good article in The Grauniad yesterday where they explained how May has painted herself into this impossible corner by stating explicitly 16 months ago that 'the UK would be leaving the single market'.

At that point in time of course,  she was sure of her position and had a strong parliamentary majority which allowed her to use arrogant and boasting soundbites.

No longer.

The only....only....way through this all-time great clusterf*ck (other than just call Brexit off) is for the UK to accept some kind of EU regulatory terms to allow us to function economically as a 21st century country. She knows that....in fact everybody knows that....but she's terrified to face-down the extremists in her own party and in the press.

If from the beginning, she had either been vague about what Brexit meant, or had stated straight off that yes, maintaining single market access was essential, then she would have wiggle room just now.

But she didn't, and her absolute incompetence combined with an unwillingness to confront the fanatics in her own party has led the country to where it is today.

There was a point where I would have said that an emergency General Election was absolutely essential to get rid off these fools and give the country some clarity, but now I'm quite happy to sit back, eat popcorn, have a good laugh, and watch the whole f*cking shambles implode.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

41 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

There was good article in The Grauniad yesterday where they explained how May has painted herself into this impossible corner by stating explicitly 16 months ago that 'the UK would be leaving the single market'.

On this point it's worth remembering that the UK Government have done no economic impact assessment on leaving the single market and the customs union. Absolutely bonkers.