Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

34 minutes ago, zidane's child said:

You have to laugh. Farage spends his whole political career slating and demonising the EU, but will get a £73k a year pension from them when he retires, which he'll happily take.

"Why should my family suffer" was his exact quote on Marr yesterday.

He also claimed that the EU would try to make sure he never got it.

Incredible levels of paranoia.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

He also claimed that the EU would try to make sure he never got it.

Incredible levels of paranoia.

I just thought he was lying through his teeth as usual rather than paranoia , but maybe a bit of both?

I don't see how what's being reported can possibly marry up without an internal border being created in the UK, which no one in the UK govt will agree to. 

This has to be a massive fudge because it doesn't make sense otherwise. DUP will be absolutely livid. 

2 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I don't see how what's being reported can possibly marry up without an internal border being created in the UK, which no one in the UK govt will agree to. 

This has to be a massive fudge because it doesn't make sense otherwise. DUP will be absolutely livid. 

Yeah, but you wouldn't have thought the Irish government would sign up to something that they didn't think could be enforced....

On the other hand, maybe the UK Government found a dust covered copy of the Scottish government's documents for keeping us in the single market and are applying it to NI :lol:

4 minutes ago, renton said:

Yeah, but you wouldn't have thought the Irish government would sign up to something that they didn't think could be enforced....

On the other hand, maybe the UK Government found a dust covered copy of the Scottish government's documents for keeping us in the single market and are applying it to NI :lol:

This is true of the UK also - the potential for fraud through this arrangement is almost off the chart, with the burden of proper enforcement a complete nightmare. Details are needed ASAP because this is has all the makings of an utter shambles. 

I saw an item on BBC's Breakfast Program last week about a new business park somewhere in NI that was attracting attention from companies who reckoned that they could benefit from being within the Single Market on one hand while still remaining in the UK, so some people were making a smart guess!

Edited by btb

Arlene Fraser on the TV right now saying it's not on and that NI will leave on the same terms as the rest of the UK and laying into the RoI government!  :boxing

Edited by btb

So.....can we now change the title.

From what I can gather/guess there seems to be 3  main options currently open to the government at the moment.

Option 1 - Allow Northern Ireland to remain within the Single Market, while the rUK is pulled out.

This effectually creates a sea border between NI and the rest of the UK, the issues between trade effectively becomes a rUK problem but there will be issues in Northern Ireland ports and the border question will still hang over it.  But this pales into insignificance as an issue when you consider that by going this route they would have more or less unified Ireland.   I think we can all see where that one ends up as a new generation of 20+ year old males, 3 or 4 generations removed from the troubles of the 70's and 80's, start up again on romanticised stories of 'freedom fighting' from bitter and twisted old men.  

As for Scotland, well the whole independence referendum rightly (imo) comes back and hopefully with it our independence.....although we would likely shite it again

Option 2 - Britain remains part of the Single Market

We follow the model that Norway uses (as it should have been in the first place....but that's another discussion), we allow free movement within the other EU States and any that join thereafter.  This solves the border issue and keeps Northern Ireland as part of the union.  As for Scotland, the desire for independence drops slightly, thus making it difficult for the SNP to pursue another referendum as it will be unclear whether they would win.  Fear of defeat puts them back and the small resurgence in Labour/Lib Dem/Tory in future General Elections continues to grow.  

However this will piss of the right within the party.  May would be effectively finished as Mogg and co topple her from within.  England could very will surge further to the right.

Option 3 - We cancel article 50 and rethink the whole thing.

Whether this goes up for another Referendum or not I don't know.  But the whole thing has been rushed with no plan in place, we should never have triggered article 50 so quickly and the only reason May did was to appease the anti-EU feeling within her party.  At least with the Scottish Independence vote there was some form of documentation of what Scotland would be like.

This would be the end of May, no way this doesn't get spun to her denying the rights of the majority that voted to leave, it open's the gates for Boris and Mogg to take control and the UK lurch further to the right.

A rather basic look upon things from someone with little political knowledge....but I say the whole situation is seriously fucked up