Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

There's a group of people that revolted against a Westminster elite that either waged war on them under Thatcher or ignored their existence under Blair and Cameron. I don't think those people are as worthy of criticism as much as the politicians, businesses and media which treated them with contempt for over 30 years.

By choosing to concentrate more power in Westminster

I'm not saying that the choice to vote Leave was a rational one but I think it's a by-product of a voting system and political culture that saw parties chase a few thousand votes in key marginals while destroying entire communities and leaving them to rot. The increasing convergence of the two or three main parties and a cosy neoliberal consensus doubtless didn't help matters either.

I read over the weekend that court proceedings may be about to commence to release the findings of these 50 or so studies into the effects of Brexit on certain industries.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/david-davis-brexit-european-union-studies-economic-effects-treasury-a8000326.html

Hard not to be cynical and surmise that these studies show a post Brexit UK as being (significantly) worse off than it currently is. After all, if a post Brexit Britain was thought by these studies to be so good you'd imagine Davis and others would be keen to show them off.

I read over the weekend that court proceedings may be about to commence to release the findings of these 50 or so studies into the effects of Brexit on certain industries.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/david-davis-brexit-european-union-studies-economic-effects-treasury-a8000326.html

Hard not to be cynical and surmise that these studies show a post Brexit UK as being (significantly) worse off than it currently is. After all, if a post Brexit Britain was thought by these studies to be so good you'd imagine Davis and others would be keen to show them off.

The Ruth Davidson no surrender branch of the government could get the Scottish figures and give us all a heads up to how bad its going to be.

She's got that kind of clout seemingly.

The Ruth Davidson no surrender branch of the government could get the Scottish figures and give us all a heads up to how bad its going to be.

She's got that kind of clout seemingly.

tRuthless is too busy not doing surgeries, and planning the cull of her weakest MSPs in preparation for government, it's being reported..

20 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

"Westminster" was very much pro-remain. If you wanted to stick it to the establishment, voting leave was a logical conclusion. 

I doubt any other considerations mattered to these voters. If you feel ignored by the government, why would you vote the way it wants you to? 

"Westminster" was very much pro-remain. If you wanted to stick it to the establishment, voting leave was a logical conclusion.  I doubt any other considerations mattered to these voters. If you feel ignored by the government, why would you vote the way it wants you to?    

I’m not disagreeing with you  I’m just saying that these people are fucking idiots

Explaining the mechanism through which their idiocy manifested itself, which may be a worthwhile exercise, doesn’t alter that idiocy

6 minutes ago, Michael W said:

"Westminster" was very much pro-remain. If you wanted to stick it to the establishment, voting leave was a logical conclusion. 

I doubt any other considerations mattered to these voters. If you feel ignored by the government, why would you vote the way it wants you to? 

All very well, but the main pro brexit backers both inside and outside Westminster are the very  manifestation of the establishment.

13 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I’m not disagreeing with you  I’m just saying that these people are fucking idiots

Explaining the mechanism through which their idiocy manifested itself, which may be a worthwhile exercise, doesn’t alter that idiocy

The hoi polloi have very few mechanisms for 'sticking it to the man' . Cameron was stupid enough to give them this prime opportunity to do just that.

I totally respect them for doing so as the hoi polloi were being shafted from above , from below, from behind and from Brussels.

How else do you suggest they should have expressed their dissatisfaction when no-one  was listening?

The hoi polloi have very few mechanisms for 'sticking it to the man' . Cameron was stupid enough to give them this prime opportunity to do just that.

I totally respect them for doing so as the hoi polloi were being shafted from above , from below, from behind and from Brussels.

How else do you suggest they should have expressed their dissatisfaction when no-one  was listening?

As I say we’re not really in disagreement here. You’re saying they’re angry I’m saying they’re morons

These aren’t contradictory positions

Indeed anger seldom makes people wiser

9 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

As I say we’re not really in disagreement here. You’re saying they’re angry I’m saying they’re morons

These aren’t contradictory positions

Indeed anger seldom makes people wiser

I agree. 

I was hoping the political class and media would have learned a salutary lesson from the referendum result , but subsequent events have proven otherwise......both sides of the channel.

There really is no hope for the masses and I understand the source and expression of their anger , however stupid it may ultimately  prove to be.

The latest statement following last night's dinner is wonderful and meaningless.  :lol:

Here's what really happened, May got told that if she wants progress on a post-Brexit trade agreement she must come up with a solution to the Irish border issue, find a way of protecting the rights of EU citizens living in the U.K. and be clearer about how much the U.K. will spend on the divorce bill.

In other words address the same three issues that needed addressed last week, last month, six months ago...

Anything else is just smoke and mirrors.