Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

14 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

So, you agree there are border disputes then, even though it's only half an hour since you said the UK was 'blessedly protected' from issues of this sort :1eye

I'm sorry that you didn't really get the gist of my point..

The 19th and 20th centuries were defined by wars that often originated from border and territorial  disputes. Great Britain was saved from the worst of these excesses thanks to 'La Manche'..

I'm sure you will have heard of the 1st World War ( WW1) a result of the tensions in the Balkans and France's dispute with Germany over Alsace-Lorraine .The German invasion of Poland leading to the  2nd World War ( WW2) and  you may have heard of the earlier Franco-Prussian Wars ,  The French invasion of Spain in 1823,The Austro-Prussian Wars, The Russo-Turkish War, the Schleswig Wars, Crimean War, Greco-Turkish War, The 3 wars in the Balkans .......  

The point I was making is that all of the above is why the EU is good for Europe in keeping a lid on belligerence but not necessarily as important to the UK, except in that it is in our interests if European countries could manage not to invade and kill each other for a few hundred years for a change..

4 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Wow. What a lot of wars you've looked up. And Great Britain wasn't involved in any of them, thanks to 'La Manche'?

I think I may have spotted a slight flaw in your logic...

You don't get it, the Russian army were never in Crimea, neither were the British. Lame libtard. Sad.

Not in a way that would lead to the Irish Army marching North nor the Spanish Army invading the Rock.
The only dispute between the UK and Eire is not about whether the border should be there but over where the line of the border should be in reference to the waters of Lough Foyle and Carlingford Lough.

Just bombers bombing Birmingham pubs . . .

9 hours ago, lichtgilphead said:

Wow. What a lot of wars you've looked up. And Great Britain wasn't involved in any of them, thanks to 'La Manche'?

I think I may have spotted a slight flaw in your logic...

Again, you miss  the point. There weren't any foreign troops with boots on mainland UK ground, apart from our allies , PoW's and German troops on the Channel Islands.

I didn't say Britain wasn't involved in any of them.

Where did I say that?

Why put words in my mouth or draw deliberately false conclusions just because you really don't want to give me credit? You're as bad as Welshbairn!!

9 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You don't get it, the Russian army were never in Crimea, neither were the British. Lame libtard. Sad.

Talking of the Devil.............Wtf are you banging on about now? Once again, You miss the point in a desperate attempt to disparage me, but that's par for the course with you x 

4 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Just bombers bombing Glasgow pubs........or does that not count?

8 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Just bombers bombing Birmingham pubs . . .

Hardly an invading army or territory being annexed a la mode de pays Europe'ens model of border disputes to which I was referring.........so No, that does not count.

Any more pointless contributions, anyone?

Interesting this morning that politicians are being wheeled out to insist that we must find a way to deal with the Irish border. During Indy there was no such hand wringing from the likes of Ed Milliband - the army would be at Gretna. 

Multi faced c***s to a man. 

22 hours ago, welshbairn said:

There was also a fair amount of pressure from the Americans who thought that Colonialism was a big propaganda asset to global Communism, aside from being against it for obvious historical reasons. because they didn't  have (an overt) one.

11 hours ago, McSpreader said:

I'm sorry that you didn't really get the gist of my point..

The 19th and 20th centuries were defined by wars that often originated from border and territorial  disputes. Great Britain was saved from the worst of these excesses thanks to 'La Manche'..

I'm sure you will have heard of the 1st World War ( WW1) a result of the tensions in the Balkans and France's dispute with Germany over Alsace-Lorraine .The German invasion of Poland leading to the  2nd World War ( WW2) and  you may have heard of the earlier Franco-Prussian Wars ,  The French invasion of Spain in 1823,The Austro-Prussian Wars, The Russo-Turkish War, the Schleswig Wars, Crimean War, Greco-Turkish War, The 3 wars in the Balkans .......  

The point I was making is that all of the above is why the EU is good for Europe in keeping a lid on belligerence but not necessarily as important to the UK, except in that it is in our interests if European countries could manage not to invade and kill each other for a few hundred years for a change..

"tensions in the Balkans (sounds like an illness) does not equal "border disputes". France certainly had a beef with Germany over Alsace and Lorraine, but I don't think that would have precipitated The Great War had we not had the kerfuffle in the Balkans. No doubt our resident historian and self appointed expert, vT, will be able to debunk that one.

The Germans did have a territorial dispute with Poland, after the split up of territories following the Versailles Treaty, so in that respect you're correct. vT will no doubt confirm/ridicule.

15 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I genuinely have this vision of folks in the UK in about five years time wondering how the country managed to take such a completely stupid decision about the future.  It will put things like worries about austerity, pensions, social care, the NHS and the general economy into perspective.

"How can we/they have been so fucking stupid?" will be the cry, but by then it will too late.  Distopian? Yes.  Likely?  Sadly, yes too.

Fortunately the Scottish people were more canny and didn't put themselves in a similar position. Lesson learned for next time also. 

49 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Fortunately the Scottish people were more canny and didn't put themselves in a similar position. Lesson learned for next time also. 

Scottish Indy is a side show compared to what is about to happen.

On 8/3/2017 at 07:10, McSpreader said:

Well I clearly do as I said we would be in control of our own finances and could choose to bail out who we want on whatever terms we chose to agree on..

Funny how you left that part of my post out of your analysis......

No one forced us to bail out Ireland. Funny how you left that part out.