Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

I like Corbyn far more than his party and its careerists. Still, I've never been able to understand his strange attitude towards the UK state. On the one hand, he has stated his belief that NI should leave the UK; on the other, he believes that Scotland absolutely should not.

When Sturgeon raised the prospect after Brexit, Corbyn said he had "no problem" with Indyref2 happening

That's not to say he'd be backing "Yes" but "absolutely not" is overstating things.

14 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I think there's a lot of people with good politics and with a lot of good analysis who lose the heid when it comes to discussing Scottish independence. Or maybe there's a curse at the heart of the Labour Party.

I think this is my only problem with Corbyn. In terms of ideology and domestic policy, I think he's a breath of fresh air - really, he's needed. But when it comes to constitutional matters (both the UK and the EU), he seems so disinterested that he'll happily toe whatever his party line is, without ever really giving a shit. It makes him a great campaigner on issues he cares about (and they're important issues), but a bit of a basket case on the stuff he lets the party's prejudices and biases dictate.

Corbyn got his post-referendum Brexit position pretty much spot on, I'd say. It isn't exactly a secret that he is a Eurosceptic, but, at the election just gone, he managed to build a seemingly impossible coalition of ardent pro-Europeans and a chunk of UKIP 2015/Leave 2016 voters who were satisfied that Labour had accepted the referendum outcome. How durable this is into the future, however, is another matter. 

3 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Corbyn got his post-referendum Brexit position pretty much spot on, I'd say. It isn't exactly a secret that he is a Eurosceptic, but, at the election just gone, he managed to build a seemingly impossible coalition of ardent pro-Europeans and a chunk of UKIP 2015/Leave 2016 voters who were satisfied that Labour had accepted the referendum outcome. How durable this is into the future, however, is another matter. 

It may be spot on in terms of electability if there's another election.  In terms of practicality it's as untenable as the Tories' position.

Edited by Granny Danger

9 hours ago, Antlion said:

I think this is my only problem with Corbyn. In terms of ideology and domestic policy, I think he's a breath of fresh air - really, he's needed. But when it comes to constitutional matters (both the UK and the EU), he seems so disinterested that he'll happily toe whatever his party line is, without ever really giving a shit. It makes him a great campaigner on issues he cares about (and they're important issues), but a bit of a basket case on the stuff he lets the party's prejudices and biases dictate.

He simply accepts that the majority of the Scottish electorate do not want Independence and there is no moral case for pursuing that agenda. It's not as if there is  martial law imposed, an occupying army on the streets of Scotland and Nationalists are being interned is it?

There are no restrictions on free speech, travel or human rights . There is simply a democratic mandate for Union and that is why he supports it.

2 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

He simply accepts that the majority of the Scottish electorate do not want Independence and there is no moral case for pursuing that agenda. It's not as if there is  martial law imposed, an occupying army on the streets of Scotland and Nationalists are being interned is it?

There are no restrictions on free speech, travel or human rights . There is simply a democratic mandate for Union and that is why he supports it.

Funny, he said he is against it because it would be "economically catastropic" for Scotland (in short, he claims to believe that it would be as bad for Scotland as Brexit is said to be for the UK). Yet he has expressed his support for NI leaving the UK, with no cavilling about the economics of it.

Of course, if he has stated there's a "democratic mandate" for denying Scotland the right to decide on whether it wants continuing regional status of a non-EU member, I'll happily read his justification. 

13 hours ago, Antlion said:

Funny, he said he is against it because it would be "economically catastropic" for Scotland (in short, he claims to believe that it would be as bad for Scotland as Brexit is said to be for the UK). Yet he has expressed his support for NI leaving the UK, with no cavilling about the economics of it.

Of course, if he has stated there's a "democratic mandate" for denying Scotland the right to decide on whether it wants continuing regional status of a non-EU member, I'll happily read his justification. 

I don't expect it's very high on his agenda  to be banging on about Scottish Independence. He's quite busy at the moment. Also It's only Scot Nats that seem to conflate every issue with Scottish Indy. Anything happening in N Ireland is a separate and self contained situation.

Anything happening in N Ireland is a separate and self contained situation.

If only it was self contained then we'd have nothing to worry about.
A Scottish and NI football team might play each other next month,the headlines aren't about 22 men kicking a ball.

On 2017-6-20 at 11:46, zidane's child said:

Is this true? 

Davis tweeted that last May before the referendum.

One of the leaders of the leave campaign, and our brexit secretary, didn't know that the EU negotiates trade deals as one entity. Germany aren't free to negotiate a deal with us, or anyone else.

9 hours ago, McSpreader said:

I don't expect it's very high on his agenda  to be banging on about Scottish Independence. He's quite busy at the moment. Also It's only Scot Nats that seem to conflate every issue with Scottish Indy. Anything happening in N Ireland is a separate and self contained situation.

Given it's pretty much the most significant factor in Scottish politics (rightly or wrongly), it's perfectly reasonably to ask why Scotland's potential future PM stands on it. It appears you don't know why he thinks NI should leave the UK but for Scotland it would be as economically catastrophic as we're told Brexit will be.

On 21/06/2017 at 07:30, McSpreader said:

Unionists keep bleating this line. Its wrong.

There is only one side committed to giving the Scottish people a democratic choice.

Given it's pretty much the most significant factor in Scottish politics (rightly or wrongly), it's perfectly reasonably to ask why Scotland's potential future PM stands on it. It appears you don't know why he thinks NI should leave the UK but for Scotland it would be as economically catastrophic as we're told Brexit will be.

The craven serviles will hang onto the coattails of a sinking England. And economically it will then be too late.
Sad but true