Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, kirkyblue2 said:

29th March folks.

And the Scottish Government found out from the BBC, despite being assured that the UK Government would give them advance warning.

Union of equals, though.

Edited by The Master

12 minutes ago, The Master said:

And the Scottish Government found out from the BBC, despite being assured that the UK Government would give them advance warning.

Union of equals, though.

I'm glad, I'm fed up hearing all this "trying to work things out together" pish, Sturgeon should just tell the world exactly what appeared/didn't appear on the table at these brexit negotiations.

On 18 March 2017 at 11:31, Hillonearth said:

It's actually getting funny now.

It's the equivalent of a guy who's been caught baws-deep in his secretary trying to convince himself he's not going to get taken to the cleaners in the divorce settlement.

In the interim, he's been telling all and sundry that his soon to be ex was a fat cow that had it coming, all the while thinking she'll go easy on him in court, 'cos she secretly wants him back so much.

Post-divorce, he's also looking forward to reconnecting with all his old pals in bachelor heaven 2.0, but doesn't know they all moved on years ago and actually think he's a bit of a dick.

A Brexiter

Allegedly the UK Government did not inform the Scottish, Welsh or Northern Irish governments of this announcement and they found out from news outlets like BBC, Sky etc. 

45 minutes ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

Where are you hearing this from?

Saw a couple of journos mention it on Twitter and one of the Scottish MInisters (possibly Hyslop) has been quoted as saying that Scottish Ministers weren't informed about the decision to trigger Brexit on the 29th.

ETA:

Edited by RiG

12 minutes ago, RiG said:

Saw a couple of journos mention it on Twitter and one of the Scottish MInisters (possibly Hyslop) has been quoted as saying that Scottish Ministers weren't informed about the decision to trigger Brexit on the 29th.

ETA:

If true it's an incredibly stupid thing for Downing St to do.  It will be portrayed as arrogant and treating Scotland with disdain and May will find it hard to argue against that.

If true it's an incredibly stupid thing for Downing St to do.  It will be portrayed as arrogant and treating Scotland with disdain and May will find it hard to argue against that.

I agree, if this is true, it shows an unbelievable arrogance that they would inform the media before the respective governments / assemblies.
But, wouldn't be surprised.

5 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

WikiBrexit.

wikipedia brexit.jpg

I really hope this is accurate.  Over 80% of all the soft fruit grown in Europe is grown in Tayside.  If jam is the future then Dundee will become the centre of the post-Brexit UK.  We will probably use the accumulated wealth to corner the juggling cow market too.

When we get Independence rUK will be desperate to join and we will let England in on the basis that they all wear tartan and learn to talk and write like Wee Willie.  The Royal family will be disbanded and Buckingham palace will become a centre for London's homeless.

Wales can f**k off.

58 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

42 minutes ago, DI Bruce Robertson said:

I agree, if this is true, it shows an unbelievable arrogance that they would inform the media before the respective governments / assemblies.
But, wouldn't be surprised.

A sizeable portion of those against Independence will probably take delight in the Scottish Government not being informed directly.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

And the Tory response to this is..... Scottish Conservative MSP John Lamont said the SNP was guilty of finding "any excuse to complain about a perceived slight". 

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I really hope this is accurate.  Over 80% of all the soft fruit grown in Europe is grown in Tayside.  If jam is the future then Dundee will become the centre of the post-Brexit UK.  We will probably use the accumulated wealth to corner the juggling cow market too.

When we get Independence rUK will be desperate to join and we will let England in on the basis that they all wear tartan and learn to talk and write like Wee Willie.  The Royal family will be disbanded guillotined and Buckingham palace will become a centre for London's Scotch homeless.

Wales can f**k off...and so can N'Iron

I give this my seal of approval as long as the English (and a few Scots) learn tae sing:

:whistle If ye can say it's a braw, bricht moonlicht nicht then ye're a'richt ye ken :whistle

When we get Independence rUK will be desperate to join and we will let England in on the basis that they all wear tartan and learn to talk and write like Wee Willie.  The Royal family will be disbanded and Buckingham palace will become a centre for London's homeless.

Wales can f**k off.

Ah jam tomorrow......

I think the EU response will be swift and pretty clear.  I reckon there will be a lot of pragmatism but I can see the EU negotiator saying very clearly at the start - no free movement of labour = no access to the single market.  I can't see their position changing on that and neither will the UK government's.

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I think the EU response will be swift and pretty clear.  I reckon there will be a lot of pragmatism but I can see the EU negotiator saying very clearly at the start - no free movement of labour = no access to the single market.  I can't see their position changing on that and neither will the UK government's.

There is a huge difference between access to the Single Market and Membership of the EEA.

Canada will have almost full access to the Single Market - a free trade agreement abolishing 98% of tariffs - and no freedom movement. The EU needs access to the City's Euro clearing infrastructure. 

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/13/eu-negotiator-wants-special-deal-over-access-to-city-post-brexit

"The EU’s chief negotiator in the Brexit talks has shown the first signs of backing away from his hardline, no-compromise approach after admitting he wants a deal with Britain that will guarantee the other 27 member states continued easy access to the City.

"The fear is that European governments and companies would find it harder and more expensive to raise capital if they were denied access to the City, which acts as Europe’s investment bank. Countries such as Italy, with very large national debt, are concerned that their economies would become even more fragile if financing costs rose."

Are you saying that Britain, with its large trade deficit with the EU, will get a worse deal than Canada? 

If so, the EU and the Euro are utterly fucked.