Slovakia v Scotland

callum-ayr

3 minutes ago, dogmc said:

We conceded 3 tonight when Tierney was part of the defence against a bang average side. Celtic conceded 7 with Tierney against barca. Just enough. Robertson is a country mile ahead of Tierney. Christ even a Gibraltar side scored against that Celtic defence. Plumbers n taxi drivers.

You do know who played in Scotland's defence when Gibraltar scored their first ever competitive goal don't you?

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No wonder Burke is unhappy, the manager has publicly humiliated him. Not even worthy of a place on an unlimited bench.

I like John McGinn... But come on to f**k. How can't Burke get on the bench ahead of him or more importantly into that terrible midfield starting. I like Snodgrass but we definitely overrate him, hard worker, decent left foot and good set price, but no pace and can't take a man on. Same goes for Ritchie who's probably better all round. They 2 out wide. Darren Fletcher, said it before the game and I'll say it again, waste of a jersey. Give me Scott Brown in there every day of the week atleast he will go around kicking folk. Fletcher does absolutely nothing. Bannan... Bit of creativity but not good enough for international football. McArthur I do rate however.

I'd even give Burke a game at fucking centre half. Our defence is beyond a joke. The first 2 goals, horrendous. May aswell no even been there. We have very good left backs. And a striker with a bit of potential sitting on the bench. And Burke, that's it. Shite.

Just now, dogmc said:

We conceded 3 tonight when Tierney was part of the defence against a bang average side. Celtic conceded 7 with Tierney against barca. Just enough. Robertson is a country mile ahead of Tierney. Christ even a Gibraltar side scored against that Celtic defence. Plumbers n taxi drivers.

Heads gone moments from you here. Seen Barca destroy many teams member they pumped real not so long ago. If your analogy is anything to go by any goal a team concedes is too blame on the full defence not taking into account individual errors or what not ? Many goals did we concede down the left hand side tonight out of interest ?

:lol:

4 minutes ago, kenny131 said:

Tierney is good but robertson is better and plays against better opposition every week

Do hull have an alternative option in their limited playing squad this year ? No competition for places means your practically a shoe in to start every game

Scotland conceded to Gibraltar when Robertson was in the starting 11..

To be fair Russell Martin is miles ahead of Hanley and he ain't even a centre back. We could work with Martin if he had a decent partner in there. Shame that Hanley is a rugby player trying to play football. 

I think Martin and Berra at the back would be worth trying. Not likely to set the world alight but if we could even have a small increase in the amount of ability and confidence in that position I think it would help the rest of the team quite a lot.

No, you came up against a better Slovak team that always operates on the counter attack. Which led to them doing you for the first goal. That goal allowed them to carry out the rest of their gameplan from a commanding position and so they picked you off at will.

That's not an issue of confidence, just having a competent game plan. Which Scotland didn't have and have rarely had for years. 'Keeping possession' by passing the ball at an utterly ponderous pace achieves nothing, but seems to be in vogue for the national side and club sides in European competition.

Can't argue, they may well be better yes, but this counter attacking Slovakian team has failed to score in their last 4 internationals. So yes, they grew in confidence when the floodgates opened for them and they realised we were utterly pish.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

We should just play Tierney in the centre of defence, since hes so strong defensively.

In hindsight thats exactly what Wales have done.

Paterson - Martin - CB - Tierney - Robertson

Probably would be worth looking at.

A back three/five could be worth a shot, as you say Wales have made good use of it as a way of playing two of their best defenders (Davies and Taylor). Unfortunately we have no one near Williams' level.

Anya - Martin - Berra/Kingsley/Cooper/Mulgrew/Greer* - Tierney - Robertson

* despite this lot being varying levels of brown (apart from Kingsley who has potential), they're not Grant fucking Hanley.

Can't argue, they may well be better yes, but this counter attacking Slovakian team has failed to score in their last 4 internationals. So yes, they grew in confidence when the floodgates opened for them and they realised we were utterly pish.

Which were away to Slovenia, against Germany in the last 16 of the Euros and two matches against England (one of which they didn't need to score in to progress). So not actually an issue of confidence as it was coming up against poorer opposition. Which they knew they were facing and so enjoyed an easy win.

They'll pump you in the return fixture as well.

Tierney did actually play in a back three for Celtic in one of their European games i think it was, and looked decent although i'm not sure it was against Red Imps which is hardly a case to judge. I wouldn't be against trying that though with Robertson and Anya at wing backs.

It could be an absolute disaster but our central defence is already anyway and we don't score enough goals to counteract it.

Archived