Queen of the South v Linfield

SUPERSOUTH

4 minutes ago, LinfieldNo1 said:

Cheers.

Would you be expecting a big crowd at this game? I recon we will bring over 150-200 if the game is played on the 8th due to the large numbers of our supporters having a block booking with northern Ireland and they will be at home that day and maybe around 300-400 if the game if on the Sunday.

No idea what to expect to be honest. We had about 1,100 against Stenhousemuir on Saturday past with just 22 Stenny fans included. We've been getting about 1,600 home fans for recent league games. Some people don't bother with the Challenge Cup though and if the game is the Saturday then some people will be at the Scotland game no doubt. The game will have a bit of profile given the cross border meeting. There's some suggestion there might be a few Rangers fans turn up too though I find it hard to believe it will be all that many.

Hopefully something nearer 1,500 or more. Away teams usually get half of the Rosefield Salvage Stand, which is about 950 seats. Sounds as if that will comfortably accommodate you. If there was a suggestion of more than 900 attending then we'd open the away terrace also.

• Replies 687
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No idea what to expect to be honest. We had about 1,100 against Stenhousemuir on Saturday past with just 22 Stenny fans included. We've been getting about 1,600 home fans for recent league games. Some people don't bother with the Challenge Cup though and if the game is the Saturday then some people will be at the Scotland game no doubt. The game will have a bit of profile given the cross border meeting. There's some suggestion there might be a few Rangers fans turn up too though I find it hard to believe it will be all that many.

Hopefully something nearer 1,500 or more. Away teams usually get half of the Rosefield Salvage Stand, which is about 950 seats. Sounds as if that will comfortably accommodate you. If there was a suggestion of more than 900 attending then we'd open the away terrace also.

Our average home attendance is around 2000. That should be more than enough to accommodate our travelling support.

Yea we seen that result and didn't fancy you to much in the draw and we know your a very hard team to break down when you are playing at home.

I can see some Rangers fans and other teams fans who support/follow Linfield from Scotland going to the game but cant see it being that many, especially if they have to collect their tickets from Belfast.

24 minutes ago, LinfieldNo1 said:

Our average home attendance is around 2000. That should be more than enough to accommodate our travelling support.

Yea we seen that result and didn't fancy you to much in the draw and we know your a very hard team to break down when you are playing at home.

I can see some Rangers fans and other teams fans who support/follow Linfield from Scotland going to the game but cant see it being that many, especially if they have to collect their tickets from Belfast.

They won't have to collect tickets in Belfast. Tickets will be for sale on the day of the game at the ground (unless there is some reason why the Police would forbid that but we've sold up to kick off for Rangers and Hibs games recently without any problem).

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They won't have to collect tickets in Belfast. Tickets will be for sale on the day of the game at the ground (unless there is some reason why the Police would forbid that but we've sold up to kick off for Rangers and Hibs games recently without any problem).

That's the way it works over here for all games.  You just pay your money at the gate.

Rangers and Hibs would bring far more fans than we will be bringing over.

Do you know when the date will be finalised for the game? If it is on the Saturday on Sunday?

There is also a rumor going around here that the game might be played on the Tuesday due to some of the Linfield squad getting NI U21 call ups

Really enjoying your comments about the team I have followed my entire life and learning some new things, especially that we won our last game 17-0 (I must have missed that one or someone has a problem reading).

Not everyone who supports Linfield supports Rangers, some solely support Linfield, support other Scottish clubs or none at all.

As for all these bigot comments it shows how little you know about linfield, We played Cork in the Europa League and played a game of football in the streets with local supporters, had bars and hotels offering us half price drink, where invited to Cork City's social clubs and the police asking fans can they come down every week because of the spotless behavior of our supporters! 

Playing in Cork (by your comments) you would expect sectarian behaviour but NO! Cork City's board told the Linfield board that our fans where some of the best they have ever seen. Secterian songs where song AT us but not one Linfield fan reacted.

If Rangers supporters want to come along all the better, as it was mentioned the more people that attend, the bigger the gate, the more money that is shared between BOTH clubs.

Can someone tell me your ticket prices? ours are £10 for all games and was wondering how much more it will cost.

I am actually saddened and embarrassed by some of the uneducated comments made by my fellow Queens supporters regarding this exciting fixture. We have always been a tolerant and welcoming club so I'm perplexed to understand where this bitterness has came from??!

Bigotry comes in many shapes and forms and maybe fans should do their homework before pumping their gums on a football club they know very little, if anything, about!!

All the info required should be found here LinfieldNo1 - http://www.qosfc.com

I hope you and your fellow supporters that make the trip have an enjoyable experience and take nothing but good memories of Dumfries and my beloved Queen of the South FC back across the water with you.

9 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

I am actually saddened and embarrassed by some of the uneducated comments made by my fellow Queens supporters regarding this exciting fixture. We have always been a tolerant and welcoming club so I'm perplexed to understand where this bitterness has came from??!

Bigotry comes in many shapes and forms and maybe fans should do their homework before pumping their gums on a football club they know very little, if anything, about!!

I hope you and your fellow supporters that make the trip have an enjoyable experience and take nothing but good memories of Dumfries and my beloved Queen of the South FC back across the water with you.

Thanks for them comments. Was wondering where all the hatred was coming from since neither club (to my knowledge) have ever played against each other.

14 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

I'll bear all that in mind when an empty bottle of Lurgan champagne whistles past my lughole.

I've had experience of Linfield fans and whilst they will be staunch Unionists, most I encountered were decent people, they don't seem to have any hooligan/casual element or if they do its tiny. I would anticipate no problems at the game unless its stirred up by a small number of Scotland based idiots 

Should some Rangers fans show up there is always the danger that one lot, Rangers or Linfield trying to outdo the other in the UBER prod nonsense.

I hope not because Linfield fans never appeared to me to be as extremist as Rangers fans, just my experience. 

There is very little trouble at games in Northern Ireland and the PSNI (police) are seldom even on duty in stadiums the only recent bother I can recall was when  Dublin club Shamrock Rovers played in Belfast .

However the standard in Irish League, where all teams are part time, appears to be below the League of Ireland , if the setanta (all ireland) cup is anything to go by, Most Northern fans accept this as the truth. This tournament was chopped and changed many time s to try to accommodate both leagues on the island but though Linfield did win it once , as did Crusaders , a look at all the results overall suggest a stronger set up in the Republic of Ireland

In my experience of watching football in Ireland (both jurisdictions) , mainly as an interested neutral I would be backing an easy QotS win, depending how seriously you take it.

Likewise I would expect Livingstone to defeat Crusaders, who are the best team in the (northern) Irish Lesgue.

Still it lends a tournament a new degree of intrigue and I wish all the teams well

23 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

It wasn't that long ago that Queens fans quite rightly stopped singing our version of "hello, hello we are the Dumfries boys....."!!

Which had the words Stranraer blood which was seen as a bit of banter, hardly the same as what the Rangers fans sing.

Which had the words Stranraer blood which was seen as a bit of banter, hardly the same as what the Rangers fans sing.

I guess most Rangers fans see their version of the song as "a bit of banter". Other clubs other that Rangers still sing their version of the song....Killie and Dundee spring to mind and they make reference to being up to their knees in their near neighbour's blood!

Football is a tribal game whether you like it or not however I don't believe any footy chant should make reference to being up to the knees in anybody's blood so in my mind that makes our version of the song just as bad as the Billy Boys version.

1 hour ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

I guess most Rangers fans see their version of the song as "a bit of banter". Other clubs other that Rangers still sing their version of the song....Killie and Dundee spring to mind and they make reference to being up to their knees in their near neighbour's blood!

Football is a tribal game whether you like it or not however I don't believe any footy chant should make reference to being up to the knees in anybody's blood so in my mind that makes our version of the song just as bad as the Billy Boys version.

Don't know of anyone getting arrested for singing the version Queens fans used to sing.

Some of the comments noted previously are laughable to say the least.

Can't wait for this, It will be good to get back Palmerston. Linfield are certainly my local and number one club but I've followed the Queens for 30 odd years.

I'm hoping for a Sunday game so I don't have to miss the NI game and certainly the Queens will be the bookies favourites.

Archived