Partick v St Johnstone 10th September 2016

It's usually an exaggerated cliche when people say a few hours after a game that their team could still be playing and not have scored, but I would genuinely have my doubts about it today.

Both teams had seriously threatened the others' goal until St Johnstone scored first and consolidated a solid defensive structure, that we barely laid a scratch on. Just about every player seemed to take a negative option on the ball, whether it was a needless extra touch or looking for a sideways pass, and they happily sat back and allowed us to be useless until full time.

Our team still looks incomplete, and we really need to pull a centre back from nowhere that has a similar effect on us as Frans had when he signed. But on today's showing I still feel we're missing intelligent off the ball movement in the final third aswell, and we need to hope Barton proves to be a competent signing too otherwise we could look pretty flimsy in every third of the pitch.

A bit of an overreaction to say the least from some in the north stand though, given every team likely to finish 5-12th is likely to see at least a handful of those performances over a season. Some chump sitting near the front, who looked like Randall from Recess, took out a bit of A4 paper and wrote 'Archie must go' with a blue ballpoint pen and held it up to the dugout :lol: I'm sure he got the message, m9.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

St Johnstone didn't even do much, and they still won't get an easier win all season. Absolutely fucking abject from us.

I can't believe we'd go out and spend money on a player, give him a three-year deal, and then sit him on the bench behind Sean fucking Welsh, who continues to be a complete waste of a shirt. If Adam Barton doesn't start ahead of him against Killie it'll be an utter joke.

That said, Welsh was hardly the only culprit from today's team - just about every starting player apart from Azeez looked like they couldn't be arsed being there. And special mention to Callum Booth who has gone from one of our most reliable players to a guy who doesn't look like he's played football before. The Azeez substitution was baffling as well, unless he had an injury. Edwards was alright when he came on, and that's about it for positives.

Luckily for us we're not the only dreadful team in the league. Big improvements definitely needed though.

Edwards seems to get an easy ride, presumably cos he's ludicrously handsome but all I saw was him running into traffic, missing a sitter and a karate kid crane kick straight to a saints player to set up their second goal. 

Not quite at panic stations yet but a doing at Kilmarnock next week will set some alarm bells ringing. 

No pass marks at all but special mention to booth who has gone from a solid 7/10 every week kind of guy to what I would look like if I played in the Premiership. 

Really wish we had opta stats just to confirm Anderson won 173/173  aerial duels, yet we still persisted. 

Somewhat concerning, even leaving aside the injury problems, that Cerny was arguably at fault for Watt's winner for Hearts, beaten from a tight angle, to being beaten again today from what the radio said was an impossible angle. Having only caught the Hearts goal on highlights and not having seen Anderson's at all, admittedly, but has he gone from POTY last year to conceding a couple of iffy goals in succession? Imagine he must be playing while already injured or not fully fit if so, he was ultra reliable last season...

I didn't realise how annoyed I was at that until I got home. That was piss poor and the worst performance in as long as I can remember (ICT at home last season). Graeme McGarry tweeted after the window shut that we weren't looking for anyone else in the free agent market, but I would hope that Archie is reconsidering that now because we desperately need another centre-half. Lindsay clearly isn't ready to start every game this season without being painfully exposed and is in need of either an experienced partner (which Devine isn't), or someone to rotate with. 

Thought Edwards looked bright when he came on, but ultimately flattered to deceive, since anytime he got near the 18 yard box, he shat himself. His bizarre scissor-kick pass to the middle of nowhere led to the second Saints goal. Gordon needs to learn to shut his mouth in the media about how good he is, because on the basis of what we've seen so far this season, he isn't any better than this level and is the second-best right back at the club to a fully-fit Dumbuya. Booth was the worst of a bad bunch and that was easily his worst performance in a Thistle jersey. Also probably the worst I've ever seen Doolan play. Early days, but has done nothing so far this season. If Archie renews Welsh's contract at the end of this season then I will not be happy. Barton must start next week because there is not a chance in f**k that he is as bad as that. Azeez was the only player to come away with pass marks, and I can only assume he was injured as to why he was taken off.

Saints will not win three points as easily as they did today for the rest of the season. If performances like today's become the norm this season, then we have first division football to look forward to next year. Killie next week has turned into a massive game.

Thought the better team won. Saints worked hard from the off to close us down, leave no space and played some no nonsense defending. We didn't have the same work ethic and were second best to every ball.

Not good enough from Thistle. However it think St Johnstone deserve a lot of credit for the way they controlled the game. Not pretty maybe, but effective.

Is it just me or has Lawless been pure shite so far this season?

Osman and Booth seem shadows of last year's versions too.

I'd struggle to give any of our players more than a 5/10 rating yesterday :(

5 minutes ago, The Saintee said:

Joe Shaughnessy.

He's really coming on as a player. He and Ando strolled it and won just about every thing that came their way.

We were basically out fought all over the park.  I don't think we even won a dozen tackles in the whole game.

Last season Saintees did better against the top 6 teams.  This year they seem to be looking to bring their A game to all opponents.

33 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

Is it just me or has Lawless been pure shite so far this season?

Yes, and he's another one that it seems will never be dropped. Maybe Archie is worried he'll go on another social media rant if he takes him out of the team for a few weeks.

41 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

He's really coming on as a player. He and Ando strolled it and won just about every thing that came their way.

We were basically out fought all over the park.  I don't think we even won a dozen tackles in the whole game.

Last season Saintees did better against the top 6 teams.  This year they seem to be looking to bring their A game to all opponents.

Shaughnessy has been excellent so far while Anderson has become a very solid CH,(He does have slips though. Like being outmuscled by the tiny Scott McDonald the other week).

Both are very good defenders for this level.

Archived