Squad face Lithuania & Slovakia next month

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/26/2016 at 22:58, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

Scotland will same squad last month but two centre half back than new blood two centre half back and McArthur back in squad 

Aye.

So squad announcement in a few minutes with another live Facebook event.  Gone are the days of just sticking a piece of paper to the wall at Hampden.  What a time to be alive.

Hutton, Wallace, McKay, Maloney and Martin should not be in the squad. Replace them with Kingsley, Palmer, Phillips, Cairney and Rhodes/McCormack. All improvements on players in the squad. Out of the 5 mentioned, maybe being harsh on Maloney.

9 minutes ago, AyrWeGo said:

That squad :lol:

What's so bad about it?  Seeing your comment before the squad made me think he'd called up Ian Black or something.  

Decent enough squad, not really got any depth, but we can get a decent 14 from it.

2 minutes ago, AyrWeGo said:

Hutton, Wallace, McKay, Maloney and Martin should not be in the squad. Replace them with Kingsley, Palmer, Phillips, Cairney and Rhodes/McCormack. All improvements on players in the squad. Out of the 5 mentioned, maybe being harsh on Maloney.

For the most part, you've named players who stand very, very little chance of actually playing.  Hutton maybe, but I'd expect Patterson to start.  Wallace...:lol:.  You're right he shouldn't be there, but then he's 3rd choice, as anyone who replaced him would be.  McKay is very unlikely to feature.  Maloney might, but we have much better options.  And I'd be fairly comfortable in having him there anyway.  To be honest Martin/Rhodes/McCormack, they're all just a bit meh together.  Fletcher and Griffiths would be the two first choice you'd imagine.

1 minute ago, forameus said:

What's so bad about it?  Seeing your comment before the squad made me think he'd called up Ian Black or something.  

Decent enough squad, not really got any depth, but we can get a decent 14 from it.

Mentioned above. For me too many Gordon Strachah picks, not players who are playing well.  When was the last time Hutton kicked a ball? Do we really need 3 left backs? Kingsley over Wallace, he is playing regularly for Swansea at CB and can play left back.  Is Chris Martin a better option than Rhodes/McCormack? Is McKay, who can't do much in the Scottish Premiership better quality than Matt Phillips?

Are we actually going to go to Slovakia, arguably the biggest match of the group, with Callum Paterson playing right back? :(

Bit perplexed we've called up three left backs. There are several players there who aren't good enough for a Scotland squad but I guess they won't play (hopefully).

10 minutes ago, AyrWeGo said:

Hutton, Wallace, McKay, Maloney and Martin should not be in the squad. Replace them with Kingsley...

_90273611_mediaitem90273608.jpg

Anyway, these threads are unbelievably predictable.

Someone posts the squad.

Someone posts a laughing smiley about the sqaud

Someone says the squad is shit, same old etc. etc.

Someone says the squad isn't too bad, but X, Y and Z should be replaced with A, B and C.

Rinse and repeat.

Scotland squads are becoming like groundhog day.  

20 of the names are incontrovertible.  One or two are just along for the ride.

And  the, of course, It's the usual guys who get called up because Chesney loves them so;

Greer, McKay, McGinn and Forrest.

The first two are just there to make up the numbers (you need guys who are happy to be fourth choice - like Gilks or Greer or Hamilton or McGinn -  in their position and not sulk about it and almost never play), but having James Forrest there whenever he's fit is more disturbing because 1. he's likely to play a part,  2. Matt Phillips is a far better player, playing regularly at a far higher level and 3. James Forrest is a complete oaf.

And yes, three left backs - none of whom can play in another position - seems superfluous.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Kingsley has been playing left back and, apparently, can cover centre half too.  

Injuries aside, the starting XI virtually picks itself - hopefully Hutton starts playing for Villa as Paterson's rubbish.  Chris Martin probably gets the start up front, and the midfield picks itself - although now Morrison is fit and playing for WBA, it might make things a bit more competitive.  No real reason to change it from last time though.

Don't understand why Wallace is in the squad at all, especially as Kingsley is not only better than him but can also cover CB.

Still, WGS knows best, and I'm positive that Wallace isn't just getting selected because he plays for Rangers.

I'm not too fussed about guys like Wallace (grass) and Forrest being there.

Neither are going to start, and probably won't get on anyway.

The starting XI is beginning to pick itself, which is a refreshing change.  Not had that since the 06/07 season when we were beating the Ukraine and France etc.

1 minute ago, AMMjag said:

Wallace and McKay have been in sizzling form over the last month, good to see Strachan has been paying attention.

Aye coz they've been roasted :)

Don't mind McKay putting out cones, he might be one for the future but the grass is hilarious nonsense. Wouldn't mind at all Shinnie being excluded for Kingsley or Robertson or maybe even Tierney. But Wallace is a joke and there is not sane argument for him being there, in a playing football sense.

Archived