Squad face Lithuania & Slovakia next month

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lithuania are absolute dog piss and we should be comfortably sweeping them aside. Slovakia will be a tougher test, however I think we have got a squad capable of getting a result. Our midfield options are excellent, definitely our strongest position. Snodgrass and Burke look terrific together. Slovakia played backs against the wall against England and if they are more adventurous against us, Burke, Snodgrass and Ritchie can all hopefully exploit that. Confident for a change in this Scotland team.

We'll no doubt get pumped off both now. 

For Lithuania I'd just change bring in S. Fletcher for C. Martin and keep the rest of the line up from Malta the same.

Patterson will be fine at RB. It would be good to get Tierney into the side but there's no reason to drop Robertson.

For Slovakia I'd look to bring in McArthur to the centre mid and more pace to hit them on the break, Anya or Forrest or both. Depends who plays well in the first match.

4 hours ago, DBA said:

Paterson will start on Saturday and there will only be a replacement called up for Slovakia if he picks up a knock.

I'd probably have started Hutton so it's a wee bit of a blow IMO - especially not having him available as back-up if Paterson played.

Line-up I reckon Strachan will pick:

Marshall

Paterson Hanley Martin Robertson

D.Fletcher McArthur

Burke Snodgrass Ritchie

S.Fletcher

Would change Bannan for D.Fletcher, Fletch and MacArthur are too similar, only need the one in there, Bannan should be used to deep playmaker to start attacks.

I would have started Paterson against Lithuania but not against Slovakia. Compared to the other options though, without Hutton, this is a brilliant opportunity for him.

Do think Hutton is probably the harshest treated Scotland player of the modern era. In the last campaign, I thought he was one of our most solid players and think his experience serves us quite well. Paterson is for the future and Hutton for the past though but I'd like this campaign to be the transition.

Maybe not good if you are a Hearts fan but I'd like to see Paterson find a well suited club down south after this season is up.

Just now, kevthedee said:

Darren Fletcher should just admit he isn't good enough for international football and quit.

In that case, we should all admit that the Scottish national team are not good enough for international football and forfeit.

I would have started Paterson against Lithuania but not against Slovakia. Compared to the other options though, without Hutton, this is a brilliant opportunity for him.

Do think Hutton is probably the harshest treated Scotland player of the modern era. In the last campaign, I thought he was one of our most solid players and think his experience serves us quite well. Paterson is for the future and Hutton for the past though but I'd like this campaign to be the transition.

Maybe not good if you are a Hearts fan but I'd like to see Paterson find a well suited club down south after this season is up.

In that case, we should all admit that the Scottish national team are not good enough for international football and forfeit.

In fairness, that's precisely what the women's under 19 side did.

Robert Snodgrass strikes me as the most important player in our squad. On and off the field. Seems to have a very good professionalism yet seems to be a positive popular type of character that would make the sometimes mundane long days on international duty that bit more bearable.

For a player who I thought for years wasn't nearly mobile or athletic enough to play at a high level he hasn't half proved me wrong. Fair play Snoddy.

scotland-xi-f29c8289b6b67933b1e7b93fbe632026.jpg

We aren't good enough to score from this possession shite. We sit deep and wait for set pieces and openings down the flanks, and then launch every single player right into the mixer for the cross.

Like this, except we do it everytime we have the ball.

Wallace? Are you mental?

12 hours ago, M0rtonfc said:

Snodgrass' wee face in those BBC Sport line up's, brilliant hahaha!

The last WC qualifying campaign, they went through the lineup one by one on the big screen at Hampden. Each player had one of those arms folded, mean mugging the camera style photos except for Snoddy who was throwing his head back, absolutely cheesing. He's been my favourite player ever since then.

Archived