Squad face Lithuania & Slovakia next month

I don't agree with the inclusion of Wallace, no need for three left backs and he's comfortably the worst of the three. Haven't see enough of Mckay to judge him.

It will obviously be a tougher game than Malta but we should still be looking to win by a couple unless we completely shit the bed. A draw would be decent enough in Slovakia but we should still be looking to win - as we should with every game we play.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Celtic fud defends Strachan shock! :rolleyes:

If we are going to qualify, we must beat diddies like Lithuania at home.

How do you know that? We might go and win every game after it. Obviously no manager is going to say it's must win when it's technically not why would they do that?! If they don't win there's another 8 games to go and you'd have already admitted they were pointless

Fanny.

I don't know why anyone pays attention to what managers say in the press about games being or not being "must win".  That's fluff, it's just the obligatory couple of dozen words for the hacks.  

The real talk, the real messages, the real dressings-down and the real motivation happen at the training camps, in the meetings at the team hotel and in the dressing room.  The public are not privy to that.  

Don't have any real issue with Wallace being in the squad as third-choice left-back, aside from wondering why we need 3 left-backs.  Wallace is a good player and has handled the step back up reasonably comfortably as far as I've seen.  I wouldn't have bothered picking a third left-back, but we're hardly talking about some sub-standard player.

Barrie McKay has been poor so far this season, but the likes of him and McGinn are mainly there for experience, and again neither of them are going to play.

Both their selections are entirely in keeping with Strachan's general approach, so this idea that it's a sop to Rangers or their fans is absolute nonsense.

13 hours ago, 1320Lichtie said:

How do you know that? We might go and win every game after it. Obviously no manager is going to say it's must win when it's technically not why would they do that?! If they don't win there's another 8 games to go and you'd have already admitted they were pointless

Fanny.

There's no chance of that with Strachan in charge. Btw, Are fud and fanny the best insults you can offer? Everyone knows that you are a pathetic Celtic troll.  

looking at the 28 player squad for the up coming double header,we have 9 players playing in Scotland,5 in the EPL and 14 in the championship in England,for years now most of the squad ply there trade in English football,so you can't blame the state of our national team on the Scottish game for not qualifying for tournaments,for me there is always a big question why players are picked,are they picked because of the league they play in or the team they play for or the level they play at or is it just down to the capability and ability of each player,for me strachan and his back room staff looks at the EPL first then the championship in England then the SPFL for players,for me football is about levels the higher the level you play at the better the player is. 

17 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

looking at the 28 player squad for the up coming double header,we have 9 players playing in Scotland,5 in the EPL and 14 in the championship in England,for years now most of the squad ply there trade in English football,so you can't blame the state of our national team on the Scottish game for not qualifying for tournaments,for me there is always a big question why players are picked,are they picked because of the league they play in or the team they play for or the level they play at or is it just down to the capability and ability of each player,for me strachan and his back room staff looks at the EPL first then the championship in England then the SPFL for players,for me football is about levels the higher the level you play at the better the player is. 

I would rather our players played down south.. the English second tier is a far better quality league to our top tier. James Forrest and Barrie McKay for example would not cope down south atm.. they would be found out to be bang average. However the likes of Ryan Fraser who was class in the Championship last season and Matt Phillips who is a regular for a team in the English top tier can't even get in the squad.

Come on, we all know why he's there (and McKay). I'm not a Scotland team expert but I can't imagine there being too many times when there was a Scotland team without a Rangers player in there surely? Certainly not when the original club were in the top league. They have to keep the pretence of "going back to normal" and Rangers mk II being able to challenge Celtic even if they're completely bobbins.

6 hours ago, Underpants Gnome said:

I would rather our players played down south.. the English second tier is a far better quality league to our top tier. James Forrest and Barrie McKay for example would not cope down south atm.. they would be found out to be bang average. However the likes of Ryan Fraser who was class in the Championship last season and Matt Phillips who is a regular for a team in the English top tier can't even get in the squad.

Barrie McKay has been found to be bang average in the Scottish Premiership, so I'm not sure what your point is there.

People were questioning Forrest being in the squad for the last couple of years and it looks like Strachan was right to persist with him, he has looked decent this season. Maybe he sees the same thing with McKay.

I don't agree with El Snitcho being in the squad but maybe Strachan is planning on using Robertson at left mid and Tierney at left back away to Slovakia and would like a spare left sided player should one of them get injured or sent off? 

Anya is a big doubt and will apparently be replaced by Matt Phillips if he doesn't make it. Slovakia away is the kind of game Anya is built for so that would be a blow. His pace and ability to run in behind is invaluable when we're under the cosh.

In other news, Alan Hutton played 90 minutes at the weekend for Aston Villa. Maybe makes it a bit more competitive over who plays between Paterson and Hutton? 

Anya is a big doubt and will apparently be replaced by Matt Phillips if he doesn't make it. Slovakia away is the kind of game Anya is built for so that would be a blow. His pace and ability to run in behind is invaluable when we're under the cosh.

In other news, Alan Hutton played 90 minutes at the weekend for Aston Villa. Maybe makes it a bit more competitive over who plays between Paterson and Hutton? 

Not anymore. Hutton's out. Paterson free to stink up the joint unchallenged.

Phillips' strengths are also his pace and ability to run in behind.. he should be in every squad for me ahead of McKay.

Archived