Defence

Part of me thinks we need to go 3 at the back in the bigger games, as a Martin and Hanley pairing just isn't good enough. However of course the problem with 3 at the back is that it requires bringing in another centre back and I've no idea who that would be.

Martin would be good as the spare man in a back 3 as he's a bit more comfortable dropping off and on the ball. If we could find another thug alongside Hanley it could work, can't see anyone though.

I don't see how sticking three players who've never played that formation at club level, or International level, would help us. Just seems like you think two defenders is shite so surely three is better, which is the kind of thinking that got Dundee United relegated.

Caulker should get pestered to f**k. While Cooper is worth another look. Outwith that there's nobody close. Not unconvinced Greer isn't our best centre half tbh.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don't see how sticking three players who've never played that formation at club level, or International level, would help us.

Ask Wales, they did it... think it went okay with them.. Ireland have done it also when needing to shitfest a result. Our best results since France 1998 came in the Smith/McLeish era when we regularly played with 3 centre backs in the bigger games. Martin and Hanley showed last campaign they aren't good enough for us to qualify as a pairing with a Hutton/Paterson standard right back, trying the same thing and expecting a different result seems daft to me. It's hardly a big ask for them to change to 3 at the back.

6 hours ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Part of me thinks we need to go 3 at the back in the bigger games, as a Martin and Hanley pairing just isn't good enough. However of course the problem with 3 at the back is that it requires bringing in another centre back and I've no idea who that would be.

Martin would be good as the spare man in a back 3 as he's a bit more comfortable dropping off and on the ball. If we could find another thug alongside Hanley it could work, can't see anyone though.

I reckon Tierney could play on the left of a back three - it's something Rodgers has already experimented with this season.

However, the biggest problem with a back three system is that it limits the number of attacking midfielders we can play, particularly wide ones.  It's hard to play Snodgrass, Ritchie and Burke if we use that system.

7 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Based on Hanley's flapping pre and post the conceded goal, i hasten to forward the name of Berra into the debate. Hanley, imo is the deferential housewives' favourite for some obscure reason, yet often causes more problems than he solves. Martin,despite a first half horrorshow, is both the better defender and footballer, and so i'm willing to forget his wobble last night more readily. Add the fact that Scotland turned Martin from a right to a centre-back, why no apparent mention of the jettisoned Bardsley.....a far better player than both. 

Scotland didn't turn Martin from a right-back into a centre-back.  He was playing there for Norwich before he played there for us.

8 hours ago, Highlandmagyar said:

Berra has been playing regularly for Ipswich for three seasons and is the constant in a side that have defied the odds to get the play offs and just miss out last season. Rarely puts a foot wrong for Ipswich. It should be Berra

Decent shout. That would have given us continuity from the time when Caldwell-Berra were the first choice pairing. He's decent, but prone to mad moments - remember his wild rugby tackle of a Slovenia player a few years ago? :lol:

Mulgrew, now he is signed to someone will be 100% be in the next squad.

Pains me to say it but id go with Berra in the team if Hanley is still not getting game time at Newcastle.

John Souttar and Jordan McGhee I would call up to the squad as some say purely for the experience of it for them and to see how they do.

Caulker is waiting for England, leave him to it, he isn't that good anyway.

Martin has made more mistakes leading to goals in qualifying than Hanley. Martin is the weakest link. Can p&b members not start a campaign to bombard Caulker on twitter to get him to sign up? He's obviously not a world beater but he would be a significant step up from what we have. 

58 minutes ago, Falcor Roar said:

Martin has made more mistakes leading to goals in qualifying than Hanley. Martin is the weakest link. Can p&b members not start a campaign to bombard Caulker on twitter to get him to sign up? He's obviously not a world beater but he would be a significant step up from what we have. 

You saying we should all become Caulker stalkers?

He's been capped once for England (according to Wikipedia anyway) what's the minimum of caps now to be eligible to play for another country?

It was just a friendly so doesn't count.

Fwiw any twitter campaign pestering him to join would be ruined by the amount of TAMB members telling him to f**k off as he's English

You are probably right...I think we had four English Accents in our starting line up on Sunday, albeit, one if them was born in Scotland.

When is that moronic attitude gonna end. I remember the resistance to Matt Ritchie when his name first appeared in a Scotland squad. Now everybody loves him.

Archived