Defence

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Alex_14 said:

It just doesn't seem like there is anyone at all who is actually better than them, it's rather grim.

You win a prize for not saying Mark Reynolds.  Your prize?  Mark Reynolds.

Totally agree.  Both of those guys will get back in their teams, I'm sure, and we'll all be okay in the end.  I'd be very worried putting someone very inexperienced next to Paterson, who I thought struggled.  That being said, Paterson looked like a centre back playing out of position to me.  I have no idea if that's the case, though.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

You win a prize for not saying Mark Reynolds.  Your prize?  Mark Reynolds.

Totally agree.  Both of those guys will get back in their teams, I'm sure, and we'll all be okay in the end.  I'd be very worried putting someone very inexperienced next to Paterson, who I thought struggled.  That being said, Paterson looked like a centre back playing out of position to me.  I have no idea if that's the case, though.

Mark Reynolds 3 or 4 years ago, I'd have been throwing his name forward. But, taking my red tinted specs off, his distribution is not even close to being up to standard and he has lost a bit of his pace. 

We've got John Souttar & Jordan McGhee in the u21 squad. I'd not want either of them in the senior team.

4 minutes ago, Alex_14 said:

Mark Reynolds 3 or 4 years ago, I'd have been throwing his name forward. But, taking my red tinted specs off, his distribution is not even close to being up to standard and he has lost a bit of his pace. 

We've got John Souttar & Jordan McGhee in the u21 squad. I'd not want either of them in the senior team.

I wouldn't want either of them in the County team.

People are far too quick to write players off. Centre halfs aren't often the finished article at 18-19. Not saying I'd want either mcghee or souttar in the squad but they both have decent potential imo. Very raw, just like our other young players, the difference is mistakes are a lot more costly in defence

Based on Hanley's flapping pre and post the conceded goal, i hasten to forward the name of Berra into the debate. Hanley, imo is the deferential housewives' favourite for some obscure reason, yet often causes more problems than he solves. Martin,despite a first half horrorshow, is both the better defender and footballer, and so i'm willing to forget his wobble last night more readily. Add the fact that Scotland turned Martin from a right to a centre-back, why no apparent mention of the jettisoned Bardsley.....a far better player than both. 

Part of me thinks we need to go 3 at the back in the bigger games, as a Martin and Hanley pairing just isn't good enough. However of course the problem with 3 at the back is that it requires bringing in another centre back and I've no idea who that would be.

Martin would be good as the spare man in a back 3 as he's a bit more comfortable dropping off and on the ball. If we could find another thug alongside Hanley it could work, can't see anyone though.

Archived