Defence

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah that'll be why he got a move to a club 40 times the size of Kilmarnock,  what you mean is you saw him twice as a teenager and think that gives you insight when in fact you're clueless in the first place

How many times have you seen him play?

It's getting closer to the double header now and unless things change in the next two league games then it has to be Martin and Berra. Martin is back in the Norwich side doing quite well, played the last 3 before being left out of the Everton game Tuesday. Berra has kept 4 clean sheets in the last 6 games. Apart from Hanleys goal against QPR, he's still not getting a look in.

Many might say we need to keep the Martin/Hanley partnership but going into these two tough games with one being rusty is a no from me.

I've seen him play about 5 times, and know it is literally impossible for him to have been'shite' for killing as if he was a club with 200 times their budget wouldn't have signed him.  He is only 20 now so was a teenager at killie and played 30, times.  Obviously he hasn't played for Newcastle yet but he's already gone much further in the game than Kilmarnock which would suggest he's far from'shite'.

So we've got craigkille who seen him 30 times saying he's shite, and PB who seen him five times saying hes got great potential.

Fwiw signing for an English club at a young age proves absolutely nothing, there's so much money down there they just spend it on every available youngster in the hope one of the comes good

He's 21, not 20.  Having played for Celtic and having Scotland U21 caps is sometimes enough for a team to take a gamble on a player.  If they did scout him extensively, then it's unlikely that it was when he played for Killie (which is the only time he has played first team football at a decent level).  None of his performances in one of the worst defences in the Premiership last season would have made them say "I think that guy is going places".

In reality, they're taking a cheap gamble in the hope that he is a late bloomer.  Even if he fails, they'll probably find a decent Championship or League 1 team to take him off their hands at a small fee.

12 hours ago, craigkillie said:

He's 21, not 20.  Having played for Celtic and having Scotland U21 caps is sometimes enough for a team to take a gamble on a player.  If they did scout him extensively, then it's unlikely that it was when he played for Killie (which is the only time he has played first team football at a decent level).  None of his performances in one of the worst defences in the Premiership last season would have made them say "I think that guy is going places".

In reality, they're taking a cheap gamble in the hope that he is a late bloomer.  Even if he fails, they'll probably find a decent Championship or League 1 team to take him off their hands at a small fee.

Future first pick for us then...

• 2 weeks later...

So, still no decent Scottish central defenders kicking about?

Surely there must be someone playing in Scotland that's worth a try? I don't keep up to speed with the Scottish Premiership, but is there anyone in that league who is worth a shot?

Findlay absolutely strolled the Championship when at Dumbarton. He seemed to have all the attributes to be a top centre half: pace, strong in the air and very good with the ball at his feet... Although obviously didn't work out for him at Killie and Newcastle is a huge step up from that.

23 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

So, still no decent Scottish central defenders kicking about?

Surely there must be someone playing in Scotland that's worth a try? I don't keep up to speed with the Scottish Premiership, but is there anyone in that league who is worth a shot?

No.

Archived