St Mirren V Qos

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

Who is this boy Robinson BTW? Two absokutely cracking saves. He's not the biggest goalie but I was impressed. Although I suppose when you see our goalie at the third goal today I'd take Verne Troyer in goal.

Lee Robinson - Bit of a nomad, in his 4th spell with us. From Sunderland but came through with Rangers and had his first spell with us on loan from them. Really excelled in his 3rd spell in our relegation and then promotion seasons including a run of penalty saves v Rangers and Partick Thistle in the Ramsdens Cup that won us shoot outs. Went off to try his luck in Sweden, came back, joined Raith as cover for the injured McGurn (but didn't do all that well there), returned to Rangers where he covered Cammy Bell for a whle playing a handful of times, before taking a year out of the game and moving to the States for a while to coach. We persuaded him back in the summer.

Missed the game today, but not surprised with the scoreline nor that we are bottom of the league. 

We are a shambles in defence and our midfield provides no help and rarely wins the battle. Webster and McKenzie are the slowest partnership in the world. Gordon signs but is yet to play. Team has little balance, Rae chops and changes players and tactics like nobodies business. We have a ton of strikers who are decent players, but rarely get chances because we are rubbish elsewhere in the team. 

I can't see Rae recovering this. Confidence is rock bottom, fans are angry, team is playing within themselves and he's started blaming the players now. Every team in the league has scored past us within 25 mins. The cup performances were rubbish, 3 shipped to Hamilton and Albion Rovers. The football is poor stuff and we've needed 2 late goals to get the points we have.  He had the summer to build his team, was happy with his business, so has to carry the can for the signings and performances. 

Not sure who'd want to come and be able to sort out this mess. We had 2 managers between 2005 and 2014 but I think we should be looking at our 5 in 3 seasons since! What a mess we've got into. 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Youre not the first to see goals Dobbies had a hand in as bad defending. You're wrong, of course, but youre not the first

First goal, Walsh has the ball, under no pressure... slips, then 'recovers' to hit a 2 yard pass to a Queens player - next Saints touch is kick off.

Third goal, Langfield tries to take advantage of Queen's goalie being AWOL, hits an early long ball - cleared long by a Queens defender and Saints defence is asleep.

Langfield kicks - next Saints touch is kick off.

Horrendous defending for both of those goals. 

1 minute ago, Bobby_F said:

First goal, Walsh has the ball, under no pressure... slips, then 'recovers' to hit a 2 yard pass to a Queens player - next Saints touch is kick off.

Third goal, Langfield tries to take advantage of Queen's goalie being AWOL, hits an early long ball - cleared long by a Queens defender and Saints defence is asleep.

Langfield kicks - next Saints touch is kick off.

Horrendous defending for both of those goals. 

Neither of those things is really defending. Its poor play but you're missing out the rather important bits in-between when Queens had the ball

On 3 September 2016 at 20:49, Broony88 said:

After a comfortable afternoon and entering the game in some good form we really have to see this as a chance to get 3 more points. Saints enter the game on the back of a thriller at Albion but again showing just how poor a start they have had. 

Prediction St mirren 1-3 Qos 

Dobbie (2)

Rigg

I will just start the Raith thread now shall I. 

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

Neither of those things is really defending. Its poor play but you're missing out the rather important bits in-between when Queens had the ball

Yip, you wandered across our 18 yard line for the first one - unchallenged; and played a pass for the third that everyone in the stadium saw coming apart from our central defence (good finish to take it round Langfield and slot from a narrow angle though).

We lost 3 in 45 minutes last week to Albion feckin Rovers - our defence is a shambles!

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Lee Robinson - Bit of a nomad, in his 4th spell with us. From Sunderland but came through with Rangers and had his first spell with us on loan from them. Really excelled in his 3rd spell in our relegation and then promotion seasons including a run of penalty saves v Rangers and Partick Thistle in the Ramsdens Cup that won us shoot outs. Went off to try his luck in Sweden, came back, joined Raith as cover for the injured McGurn (but didn't do all that well there), returned to Rangers where he covered Cammy Bell for a whle playing a handful of times, before taking a year out of the game and moving to the States for a while to coach. We persuaded him back in the summer.

You seem to get some players who are " at home " in certain clubs but away from them are nothing special.

Fortunately for us Lee seems to be " at home " with Queens. 

I thought he was immense today

Finally was able to witness our Lord and Saviour Stephen Dobbie today. Safe to say he lived up to the hype.

First half I didn't think we were great, Dobbie's assist for the goal was about the first time he'd been properly on the ball as Saints had a guy on him at all times, but his backheel to Lyle was delightful as looked like he overran it and a lovely finish from Del, getting that second goal when St Mirren were on a wave after the goal just set the tone for the rest of the game, I thought Anderson had messed it up with a terrible touch but it worked out almost perfectly. But Dobbie took over in  the second half with some lovely passing and his goal was superb composure. But my champagne moment was when he skinned the St Mirren player with a sumptuous roulette turn before blasting it wide on the edge of the area. Dobbie and Lyle are like a fine wine getting better, whilst using a similar analogy the St Mirren defence is like a pint of milk over a few years. 

I thought Marshall was good today, he's started playing some really good passes as well which is nice to see him develop that side of his game. Brownlie was terrific today though I think St Mirren's style of play lent itself to that with the number of crosses and high balls. Dowie should have done better for the goal I thought but fair play to Walsh for scoring an overhead kick. Hammill struggled against Morgan but I think most right backs in this league as he looks like a terrific player.

That St Mirren defence was about as bad as you'll see really, playing a high line with a defensive pair that moves slower than a glacier was a recipe for disaster, Naismith was getting shredded by Hilson who I thought was outstanding today especially in the first half when he was running at people with purpose. Would have loved to have seen Dykes against that back four. There were some very basic errors and breakdown in communication and I was slightly concerned that we didn't kill the game off enough with missing a couple of one on ones. The game could easily have been an absolutely wild scoreline. I don't get why Ben Gordon wasn't starting as he's miles better than the various diddies and senior citizens at the back, McKenzie had a debut in a similar style to Phillipe Senderos he was fortunate Webster was even worse

That being said going forward they looked decent until the 3rd goal which knocked the stuffing out of them and they turned into Kyle Hutton playing tidy stuff but not really doing anything of purpose. Robinson was in magnificent form which isn't what you need when you are struggling. I think they'll turn it around as they have some talented players but whether Rae will last is a different story having a decent defence is almost lying squarely at his door, Shankland looked pretty unfit when he came on and whilst Sutton wasn't great they created a lot more with his mere presence than they did with Shankland and Clarkson, I don't think Rae's gonna last looking at the atmosphere of the home fan. Their board did stick with Tommy Craig for a half  a season and Danny Lennon seemed to stay for ages despite the fact he was under pressure for about 2 years so who knows what will happen.

I thought Gus McPherson couldn't take us to the next stage, especially after the final that we don't talk about. I thought Danny Lennon couldn't take us to the next stage.

After Tommy Craig, Gary Teale, Ian Murray and now Alex Rae...

I'd f'king love a manager like Gus or Danny. We f'ked it.

3 hours ago, Tam M said:

I thought Gus McPherson couldn't take us to the next stage, especially after the final that we don't talk about. I thought Danny Lennon couldn't take us to the next stage.

After Tommy Craig, Gary Teale, Ian Murray and now Alex Rae...

I'd f'king love a manager like Gus or Danny. We f'ked it.

What exactly is 'next stage'? Both Gus and Danny had consolidated in the SPL with decent cup runs every few seasons. Both got us to a national cup final. 

For a club like us, especially with the board at the time spending no money, that's as good as it gets.

That sort of comment is everything that is wrong with St mirren fans.

Yip, you wandered across our 18 yard line for the first one - unchallenged; and played a pass for the third that everyone in the stadium saw coming apart from our central defence (good finish to take it round Langfield and slot from a narrow angle though).

We lost 3 in 45 minutes last week to Albion feckin Rovers - our defence is a shambles!

OK, we're done

13 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Even if it's clear Rae isn't the right man, sacking him 5 games in would be mental.

I think we'll be looking for a new manager by November though.

What's the point in waiting? If it's clear that he isn't the right man, get rid of him now and give the new manager as much time as possible to turn it round.

I obviously hope you do keep him until November though, because our board are notorious shitebags and won't sack Duffy until then either. Could do with at least having a chance of 9th by the time he goes even though 8th will be gone.

What exactly is 'next stage'? Both Gus and Danny had consolidated in the SPL with decent cup runs every few seasons. Both got us to a national cup final. 

For a club like us, especially with the board at the time spending no money, that's as good as it gets.

I don't think scrabbling for 11th should be the limit of our ambitions, given what other clubs did in the SPL at the time.

Gus had to go. Our luck would have run out eventually. Did a good job but I can't see why we want him back.

Danny came in and had a horror first season by misjudging the standard but took us forward. However he struggled the last season so it wasn't bad idea to make a change.

Rrplacing him with Craig was madness by any standard. Teale was fine and turned the team around but selling McLean signalled relegation. Murray was unfortunate, we found out the brains was Ross but could have been any club to find that.

Rae came in. Steadied the ship, fixed some issues, however has proven incapable of building his own solid team.

5 hours ago, Silvio said:

The 'next stage' under DL and Gus was getting into the top six - something we have never done. However Clubs with smaller fan bases than us like ICT, Ross County, Fakes and Hamilton have all accomplished. Similar clubs like Killie have achieved it every couple of years. Surely getting into the top six once in a while is a reasonable expectation?

Danny had more bad seasons than good. I enjoyed the football when we had Thommo, Teale, Nigel, Gowser,  etc all playing however we had shockingly bad runs and shockingly bad signings as well (remember the Blue Brazil days?). Very inconsistent. After 4 years I would have voted (just) not to renew his contract as well as we were yet again on a downward spiral.

Football under Gus was turgid and after THAT game the patience of the fans finally snapped. Under Gus we fought a yearly relegation battle in the Premiership which was disheartening with no signs of ever improving our League position.

After all the decades I have supported the team I am realistic but to have some ambition to be at least as successful as Clubs around you is not too much to ask.

I think Rae needs to get at least till end of sept, hopefully where he will have a full team to pick from (including the best player to ever grace our club Rocco Quinn back).

If we sack him, who do we get get? Ross isn't going to come after a few months at Alloa - and despite his strong start (and finish to last season) is still pretty unproven. So what's the options - Yogi, butcher, Jimmy fuckin calderwood!?

What's the point in waiting? If it's clear that he isn't the right man, get rid of him now and give the new manager as much time as possible to turn it round.

I obviously hope you do keep him until November though, because our board are notorious shitebags and won't sack Duffy until then either. Could do with at least having a chance of 9th by the time he goes even though 8th will be gone.

Sounds like he's lost the dressing room anyway but sacking a manager after 5 or so games seems mental. Tough one for the new board, if attendances start to drop they'll need to act.

Personally I'd love to see Danny Lennon back. But he'd already have decent percent of the support against him before it would get started.

It's a bit of a minter for Duffy, on one hand 5th place last season was a success but he's not been able to replace the key loan players and has had 5 easy goes at beating us, with him personally costing 2 maybe 3 of the games?

50 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Sounds like he's lost the dressing room anyway but sacking a manager after 5 or so games seems mental. Tough one for the new board, if attendances start to drop they'll need to act.

Personally I'd love to see Danny Lennon back. But he'd already have decent percent of the support against him before it would get started.

It's a bit of a minter for Duffy, on one hand 5th place last season was a success but he's not been able to replace the key loan players and has had 5 easy goes at beating us, with him personally costing 2 maybe 3 of the games?

James Fowler is available and the football is great to watch. Good luck.

Archived