Irn Bru Cup Round 4

LoonsYouthTeam

Got to admit this cup has won me over a bit. 3 wins when we'd usually be lucky to get 1 and now the prospect of a trip to England, Wales or Norn Ireland for something a bit different.

Who do we all want in the next round?

Alloa Athletic

Dunfermline

Dundee Utd

Falkirk

Forfar Athletic

St Mirren

Queen of the South

Queen's Park

Stranraer

Livingston

Ayr United or Airdrieonians

Turriff United or Hibernian

The New Saints

Bala Town

Linfield

Crusaders

Has to be Bala Town away for me. Actually in Wales unlike TNS and would be a cracking trip. Is it a winnable game? No idea!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

Has to be Bala Town away for me. Actually in Wales unlike TNS and would be a cracking trip. Is it a winnable game? No idea!

A town of less than 2,000 people in the middle of nowhere? Some trip!

Belfast is the prize.

5 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

The New Saints play in a place in Shropshire rather than Wales, pretty much on the border. The Welsh league equivalent of Berwick

Would have been funny if Berwick had got through and played TNS. Two English based sides playing under the guise of Scottish and Welsh sides.

The two Welsh teams struggle to muster 500 fans between them, I fail to see how they bring anything to this competition, introducing these teams from Wales and Ireland is simply under valuing the Scottish game by Doncaster and his cronies. 

From what I've seen 1 Welsh club will be drawn at home & 1 away, same for Northern Irish and all 4 will be kept apart.

Welsh club (presumably the home one) will play Sat teatime on S4C.

If you were comparing leagues the Northern Irish is stronger than the Welsh... but TNS is such a dominant force (and the only full-time team in either IIRC?) that they are perhaps the strongest of the quartet.

What all these clubs do have is European experience. Linfield has played in Europe for the last 13 seasons running, but never beaten anyone except Faroese teams. Crusaders the last 6 seasons running, only beaten clubs from Estonia and Lithuania. TNS the last 18 seasons running, only beaten teams from Eire, Faroes and San Marino - and Cliftonville 2-1 in 2011-12. Bala by far the least exposed with only the last 2 seasons running and no wins.

So while they clearly lack in quality, they have the benefits of consistent "international experience".

Crowds (2015-16):

Linfield - 2,304
Crusaders - 1,532

TNS - 375
Bala - 281

No Scottish club has ever lost to Welsh opposition, and only once to Northern Irish opposition and that was over 45yrs ago.

International Soccer League 1960, Groupstage
Kilmarnock 2-0 Glenavon

Fairs Cup 1963-64, First Round
Partick Thistle 7-1 Glentoran (3-0, 4-1)

Cup-Winners' Cup 1966-67, First Round
Rangers 5-1 Glentoran (1-1, 4-1)

Fairs Cup 1970-71, First Round
Coleraine 4-3 Kilmarnock (3-2, 1-1)

Texaco Cup 1971-72, Second Round
Airdrieonians 7-3 Ballymena Utd (3-0, 4-3)

UEFA Cup 1987-88, First Round
Dundee Utd 4-1 Coleraine (3-1, 1-0)

UEFA Cup 1989-90, First Round
Dundee Utd 5-1 Glentoran (2-0, 3-1)

UEFA Cup 1996-97, First Round
Aberdeen 6-4 Barry Town (3-1, 3-3)

UEFA Cup 1997-97, Second Qualifying Round
Celtic 8-0 Inter Cable Tel (5-0, 3-0)

UEFA Cup 1999-00, Qualifying Round
Celtic 10-0 Cwmbran Town (6-0, 4-0)

UEFA Cup 2001-02, Qualifying Round
Kilmarnock 2-0 Glenavon (1-0, 1-0)

Europa League 2009-10, First Qualifying Round
Motherwell 3-1 Llanelli (0-1, 3-0)

Champions League 2013-14, Second Qualifying Round
Celtic 5-0 Cliftonville (2-0, 3-0)

Having seen a bit of Northern Irish football over the last few seasons I don't think Scottish Clubs have anything to fear.
Logistically easier to get to Belfast from Stranraer than most Scottish clubs, add to that it's great city for beer.

9 minutes ago, Mattmc said:

Think it's to be the next international weekend. The Saturday being the 8th. Scotland at home that day so hopefully Sunday games.

Possibly the cross-border games will be Saturday to help with travel? Also potentially 3 of 8 will be televised - as I noted S4C have already announced a Welsh tie for the Saturday, at 5:15pm.

Possibly the cross-border games will be Saturday to help with travel? Also potentially 3 of 8 will be televised - as I noted S4C have already announced a Welsh tie for the Saturday, at 5:15pm.

Not ideal. Annoys me when club football clashes with international. I get its not everyone's cup of tea but, who do they thing goes and watches the national team.

They've scheduled the Challenge Cup on international weekends for years now in an effort to make use of the weekend without putting league games on. (Although they've always played league games on the March dates and recently started doing that in October - but not this season - and November). I think it makes sense in many respects. Scotland seldom plays Saturday nowadays.

Interestingly the Welsh and Northern Irish authorities issued full cards for October and have had to cancel games... Linfield also cancelled their league game this weekend to play Rangers in a friendly!... As a result Ballymena v Linfield and Glenavon v Crusaders will be off.

Aberystwyth v Bala and Rhyl v TNS are already now the following Tuesday. Unless they have made a double cock-up this implies to me they don't expect Challenge Cup ties involving their clubs to be played on the Sunday as that would entail cancelling them again?

Archived