Irn Bru Cup Round 4

LoonsYouthTeam

2 hours ago, fruitbowl said:

The original post was so full of negativity and general assumption that I couldn't resist succinct comment.

So they have tried something different as they have with the league cup. It may not work as well as is hoped overall but only time will tell.

I am sure there must be pictures from finals were Falkirk were winners that contradict the idea that no one cares about the competition!

For the record I intend to travel to Bala. It's a logistical challenge but I honestly prefer the change in option.

I've been there when Falkirk won 3 of these finals and I can safely say, its meaningless. No one cares, you were lucky to get a song going, the opposition brought a thousand or so, the games were shit and after you won it you were left in the pub thinking, I cant believe it, why the f**k is the final on a Sunday.

I get that people like yourself welcome change, I do. however I sit in bewilderment that people accept this as an excuse for piss poor innovation. There is no structured criticism of it, just "lets give it a go" hoping that it doesn't kill of the current dropping interest in Scottish Football.

I must say though, Its great you fancy going to Bala and I hope you really enjoy it. But the sad fact is, Alloa cant take more than 50-75 to Falkirk that's 16 miles away, nor to Easter road which is 30 mile away. Whats the total going to be on an almost 300 mile trip for the Irn Bru Cup. The huge problem with this idea is there is only 4 or 5 teams in the cup out of 30 odd that would take a respectable support. Even if Alloa fans buy into this, its still going to look utterly pathetic, Livi's traveling support will be worse.

If they want to introduce welsh, Irish teams fine. But i'd sooner they did it like the Texaco cup. Clubs from each nation that couldn't get into Europe, followed by league cup winner or runner up and a wildcard place for the irn bru, ldv van trophy cup winners.

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've been there when Falkirk won 3 of these finals and I can safely say, its meaningless. No one cares, you were lucky to get a song going, the opposition brought a thousand or so, the games were shit and after you won it you were left in the pub thinking, I cant believe it, why the f**k is the final on a Sunday.

I get that people like yourself welcome change, I do. however I sit in bewilderment that people accept this as an excuse for piss poor innovation. There is no structured criticism of it, just "lets give it a go" hoping that it doesn't kill of the current dropping interest in Scottish Football.

I must say though, Its great you fancy going to Bala and I hope you really enjoy it. But the sad fact is, Alloa cant take more than 50-75 to Falkirk that's 16 miles away, nor to Easter road which is 30 mile away. Whats the total going to be on an almost 300 mile trip for the Irn Bru Cup. The huge problem with this idea is there is only 4 or 5 teams in the cup out of 30 odd that would take a respectable support. Even if Alloa fans buy into this, its still going to look utterly pathetic, Livi's traveling support will be worse.

If they want to introduce welsh, Irish teams fine. But i'd sooner they did it like the Texaco cup. Clubs from each nation that couldn't get into Europe, followed by league cup winner or runner up and a wildcard place for the irn bru, ldv van trophy cup winners.

Wasps 1 would probably support your view on the Irn Bru cup but it does mean something to the majority of Alloa supporters. I guess it's relative to realistic ambitions of your own club. In closing I must say the only singing I can recall at TFS has come from Tony Christie.

12 minutes ago, andylivi1 said:

Crusaders v Livi announced as Friday fucking night at 7:45pm

Not like the SPFL to completely forget about the fans and get on the knees for the tv companies. 

That has made me absolutely raging. That's your punishment for beating Celtic U20s when Scotland evidently needs a strong Celtic U20s.

:lol:

The entire point of these changes was to try and maximise any potential revenue available, which is why bampot ideas like U20 teams and foreign teams getting thrown in at R4 are now present. Of course the fans were going to be bottom of the pile of concerns.

Worst of it, I'm not even surprised by this. Not sure I'll be able to go now, was leaning towards an overnight stay even if the game was on a Saturday so not much has changed. Easy enough to get a day off but it's fucked over the majority of folk going, I'd say.

From SPFL site:

Friday October 7, 2016

Crusaders v Livingston

Live on Premier Sports, kick-off 7.45pm

Saturday October 8, 2016

Bala Town v Alloa Athletic

Live on S4C, kick-off 1.00pm

Sunday October 9, 2016

Queen of the South v Linfield

Live on BBC ALBA, kick-off 1.00pm

What a slap in the face for actual fans wanting to attend games.

Livingston fans have to get to Belfast for the Friday evening, and either stay over or travel overnight... Alloa fans have to get back from Bala on the Saturday night if they don't want to stay over actually I see now kick-off is 1pm, not the previously advertised 5:15pm... Linfield fans have to get to Dumfries for Sunday lunchtime. Real shockers.

Are Linfield OK with playing on Sunday, incidentally? According to Wikipedia (which may well be wrong) they are among Northern Irish clubs with a clause forbidding Sabbath play.

6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Livingston fans have to get to Belfast for the Friday evening, and stay over... Alloa fans have to get back from Bala on the Saturday night if they don't want to stay over actually I see now kick-off is 1pm, not the previously advertised 5:15pm... Linfield fans have to get to Dumfries for Sunday lunchtime. Real shockers.

Are Linfield OK with playing on Sunday, incidentally? According to Wikipedia (which may well be wrong) they are among Northern Irish clubs with a clause forbidding Sabbath play.

Stenna have organised travel for Linfield fans Good deal £39 ferry and bus return to palmerston Park. Hopefully the sunday @ 1pm will attract a big crowd.

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Livingston fans have to get to Belfast for the Friday evening, and either stay over or travel overnight... Alloa fans have to get back from Bala on the Saturday night if they don't want to stay over actually I see now kick-off is 1pm, not the previously advertised 5:15pm... Linfield fans have to get to Dumfries for Sunday lunchtime. Real shockers.

I've already looked at a few options, there is no overnight ferry and I've yet to find any flights leaving Belfast late enough to avoid missing half the game.

Its an overnight stay or nothing for Livi fans, unless someone can find something I can't. 

8 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

You can't actually be serious with this, can you? You must be outraged by European competitions - I mean, they play them *midweek* FFS. How are you supposed to get back from Kazakhstan on public transport and still make it to work the next morning? Outrageous!

4 hours ago, bendan said:

You can't actually be serious with this, can you? You must be outraged by European competitions - I mean, they play them *midweek* FFS. How are you supposed to get back from Kazakhstan on public transport and still make it to work the next morning? Outrageous!

^^^ This guy is comparing a Champions League/Europa League tie with Scotland's seventh (at best) most important tournament.

Archived