Livingston v Celtic U20's, Irn Bru Challenge Cup 3rd round

Davie Bhoy

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going to contradict myself a wee bit here but it is a weird game. The young hoops aren't doing too badly in terms of going forward & their play in general but we have gifted Livingston most of their goals through moments of madness that sometimes you get away with but every time we have been punished.

This isn't a bad thing though because it's a wake up call to the young lads who might think they are too good for the rest. Seem to have a problem with the physical in your face approach from Livi. At times we need to get the ball passed quicker before being closed down. Cut out the slack passing in defence.

Disappointed that on two occasions when we were in a very good attacking position, the ref pulled the play back late instead of giving us the advantage.

Celtic scoring the pick of the 6 goals though which is pleasing. I

If we don't cut out the individual mistakes then Livi could run up double figures. If we cut them out and pass it quicker we could score a couple to make the scoreline more respectable.

Foot came off the gas after the 3rd by the looks of things, defenders looked half arsed at the Celtic goal. I'd like to think that was comfortable enough for the SFA to bin the idea, but we know what they're like. Expect this to branded as a success and U20s could be in the league setup within the next few years.

Forgot this was actually a cup too, hardly surprising given the lack of excitement for it, another shite team in the next round please.

Better 2nd half but I don't understand why we didn't have Aitchieson & PJ Crossan on at the same time. When we put them both up front against Cowdenbeath they tore them apart having to deal with two nippy attackers. Granted Livi are better than Cowdenbeath but strange to just go with one of them up front.

Gifted Livi their goals and fair play to them, they took it. The youngsters will hopefully have learned a lot from this game.

daviebhoy thinking Livingston took this with any real form of seriousness after they'd taken a comfortable lead is tremendous viewing.

Foot came off the gas after the 3rd by the looks of things, defenders looked half arsed at the Celtic goal. I'd like to think that was comfortable enough for the SFA to bin the idea, but we know what they're like. Expect this to branded as a success and U20s could be in the league setup within the next few years.

Forgot this was actually a cup too, hardly surprising given the lack of excitement for it, another shite team in the next round please.

Given the fact we knocked out 2 teams already, I wouldn't say it hasn't been a success. What is a success? For me, I think our young players will have taken a lot out of this experience but it is something you think about if the 2-3 games the teams get is enough or if they should be in a league set-up, or bring back the reserve league. Will take more than 1 season to see how successful this has been.

I don't think the foot did come off the gas either. Livi still played well both defensively & going forward. I think when we cut out the stupid mistakes we cut out the ease with which you scored.

As a neutral I'm now looking forward to seeing which clubs get the Irish teams. Can imagine a few Championship teams v Linfield could be a tasty enough game.

Hibs v Linfield. Better get the Police on standby for that one.

Well played Livingston. Not only did you pump them in the 1st half you toyed with them in the second so as not to make it embarrassing.

Now hopefully this idea can be quietly stuck back in the failed box alongside 'SPLTV', Gretna and everything else Roger Mitchell spoke about the other night.

46 minutes ago, Davie Bhoy said:

Given the fact we knocked out 2 teams already, I wouldn't say it hasn't been a success. What is a success? For me, I think our young players will have taken a lot out of this experience but it is something you think about if the 2-3 games the teams get is enough or if they should be in a league set-up, or bring back the reserve league. Will take more than 1 season to see how successful this has been.

I don't think the foot did come off the gas either. Livi still played well both defensively & going forward. I think when we cut out the stupid mistakes we cut out the ease with which you scored.

As a neutral I'm now looking forward to seeing which clubs get the Irish teams. Can imagine a few Championship teams v Linfield could be a tasty enough game.

Hibs v Linfield. Better get the Police on standby for that one.

The competition is a complete monstrosity this year with the inclusion of Billy big boys from the premier league and how they thought introducing Irish and Welsh teams most of who get poorer crowds than Scotland would somehow make it magically interesting is a slap in the face for clubs up here.

I think the thing that gets to most lower league fans is that the chance has been taken away from clubs like Annan and Cowdenbeath to maybe get to a final, yes it isn't a massive competition but maybe the only cup these teams have the chance of winning.

The fact that all the colts teams are out before the Irish and Welsh teams even enter must be a kick in the teeth and an indication it hasn't worked.

The re introduction of the reserve league would be a much better idea, that way you'll have a mix of older pros and young kids playing competitively.

If you look at the 'B' teams results, how much will this really have "aided their development"? Particularly in the context of R1-R2 being played in August before their season had even started. There were 12 such teams admitted. Half of them lost in R1 so their entire exposure to the opportunity was 90 minutes in a defeat. All of the remainder except Celtic went out in R2 so their entire exposure was 180 minutes with 1 win/1 defeat. Only Celtic met a full-time opponent.

I doubt it will matter, though. Whatever happened, Doncaster etc. would have a defence. If they'd done well, it would've been used to say they deserved their places - not having done well, it will be used to say their participation supposedly isn't doing any harm.

Archived