Teacher meltdowns

Stellaboz

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a few at my school.

I seem to recall something when I was at primary school that my teacher tried to kick a door shut missed the door and kicked a pupil in the face, but at the same time I think I might be making it up because I've spoke to someone else who was in my class and they have no recollection of it at all and the teacher was still teaching there up until not long ago.

At high school in first year our science teacher made the whole class wrap our jotters in wrapping paper like we were still in primary one. She gave us a deadline of Friday then the boys would get pink wallpaper she had in the class and the girls football ones if they hadn't wrapped it up. She went crazy when I showed up on the Friday with a page from a nuts magazine wrapped around my jotter ripped the whole jotter up that had only been used once whilst ranting for a full period.

Had a social subject teacher that couldn't handle our class, she invented a "wall of shame" on the whiteboard to try and stop us misbehaving as much. She eventually burst into tears as we all had a pound bet with each other each time we went in the class to see who could get onto the wall first.

Same teacher also got the head of the department in because we went through the dick drawing phase. He took about 8 of us out of class and shouted right in our faces "if you want to draw cocks, do it your own time, in your own house and in your own jotters" it doesn't even sound that funny but every one of us were in tears of laughter and he was going mental.

I also had this guy

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/teacher-faces-being-struck-after-2879877

Ex military and used to call all the more "feminine" males poofs, gay, faggots etc. Taught us engineering but mostly just watched his "favourite film" frankenstein over and over again. Poor guy died not long after he got the sack by a stroke.

Anyone from Perth High school remember Mr. Hunter (the small tubby ginger one) I'd only just started secondary when he left but stories of his meltdowns continued well into my senior years.

German teacher? A very strange little man. Toby Jones would be an absolute stick on to play him if ever there was a PHS movie..

6 minutes ago, Wilkinson1998 said:

Quite a few at my school.

I seem to recall something when I was at primary school that my teacher tried to kick a door shut missed the door and kicked a pupil in the face, but at the same time I think I might be making it up because I've spoke to someone else who was in my class and they have no recollection of it at all and the teacher was still teaching there up until not long ago.

At high school in first year our science teacher made the whole class wrap our jotters in wrapping paper like we were still in primary one. She gave us a deadline of Friday then the boys would get pink wallpaper she had in the class and the girls football ones if they hadn't wrapped it up. She went crazy when I showed up on the Friday with a page from a nuts magazine wrapped around my jotter ripped the whole jotter up that had only been used once whilst ranting for a full period.

Had a social subject teacher that couldn't handle our class, she invented a "wall of shame" on the whiteboard to try and stop us misbehaving as much. She eventually burst into tears as we all had a pound bet with each other each time we went in the class to see who could get onto the wall first.

Same teacher also got the head of the department in because we went through the dick drawing phase. He took about 8 of us out of class and shouted right in our faces "if you want to draw cocks, do it your own time, in your own house and in your own jotters" it doesn't even sound that funny but every one of us were in tears of laughter and he was going mental.

I also had this guy

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/teacher-faces-being-struck-after-2879877

Ex military and used to call all the more "feminine" males poofs, gay, faggots etc. Taught us engineering but mostly just watched his "favourite film" frankenstein over and over again. Poor guy died not long after he got the sack by a stroke.

Clackmannan Council seems a harsh employer.

My mate was training with Ayr U14 team or something and, adding that to me being a Killie fan, became a bit of a part time Ayr fan and went to the games. This was around the time of Partick Thistle's financial problems and the Save the Jags campaign.

We had a science teacher who was a massive Thistle supporter. On the last day of the season Ayr either drew with or beat Partick which sent Thistle down to the old Division 2.

On the Monday my mate said to the teacher "good score on Saturday eh Sir?" and the teacher absolutely erupted. He gave my mate a pink slip (this could get you suspended) and sent him down to the heads office. A proper heads gone.

2 hours ago, kilbowie2002 said:

I remember hearing about that breakdown, that guy was a complete target, shame he seemed really harmless. Think he was a very orthodox jewish guy.

I am sure he came to my school to fill in once or twice, everyone loved throwing dictionaries at him.

:D , nah, just severe lack of any usable internet for a couple of months.

Enjoying catching up tho, this place has had a close season brain freeze by the look of it.

From mozza & Mr bairn getting horsed, to tedigate, Grimbo becoming Grim Reading and VikingMink, there's a lot to read through.

I'll admit to melting down on a Friday in my days at Port Glasgow High. That was the day that they split the 2nd years by ability rather than just mixed ability, allowing some board lessons rather than the SMP individual stuff. I got the bottom lot - zero interest in learning anything and many of them regularly suspended. One boy sat whistling to himself (on good days) whilst another was set to take over the running of his recently-murdered father's drug business.

I could often feel my face change colour. The Depute head once observed me teaching them (school wide thing) and couldn't believe they'd all been put in the same room.

One supply teacher lasted until noon when she marched the (notoriously difficult) S3 Modern Studies class to the head's office, said "Here's your class" and fucked off, never to be seen again.

When doing supply, it was interesting to note that the ones you were covering for often had the really crap classes. Any good classes were usually met with "oh, I'll take them, you can watch my lot" from the PTs.

[emoji3] , nah, just severe lack of any usable internet for a couple of months.

Enjoying catching up tho, this place has had a close season brain freeze by the look of it.

From mozza & Mr bairn getting horsed, to tedigate, Grimbo becoming Grim Reading and VikingMink, there's a lot to read through.

VikingMink?

We used to have a substitute teacher called Mrs Todd? Covered everything, tought nothing and got horribly terrorised, looked like a mouse.

Some other teacher we had ran out of class in tears never to be seen again when she got booed when entering registration. Mental.

Went to Coltness High and had a few mental teachers during my time.

Mr McLean - taught maths and used to go by the nickname of Flary which, I assume, was because he used to flare up at the slightest wee thing. He was one of they teachers you heard about before you even started high school as he used to go mental then go into the cupboard and cry. Always felt sorry for the guy as he was apparently a genius. Didn't help himself with his Bill Bailey hairstyle and his fondness for a blue velvet suit.

Also had Ms Hamilton who was an absolute arsehole. She hated me from day one as it turns out my dad worked with her ex-husband who used to shag about. This meant she hated my dad and, by default, hated me as well. She was also on a game show in the 80s where she won absolutely hee haw and embarrassed herself. She didn't take too kindly when I asked her about it.

Dr Beaty was another biology teacher who was actually sound but just so easy to wind up. She would be having a laugh one minute before erupting in rage the next. Everytime she went mental one guy in the class would start playing the Benny Hill theme tune on his phone which started her decent into madness. She left at the end of my 5th year and was never heard of again.

Mr Mcfarlane was my 1st year English teacher and in his first job after finishing uni. He obviously wanted to get himself a reputation as a teacher not to be messed with and used to go mental at everything. He had the nickname "chief" and I have no idea why - either way, he used to lose the plot when anybody shouted it. He was a Hearts fan and gave me a full A4 pad to fill out as a "punny" after I made a comment about Hearts getting beat. He left teaching after a year to join the police.

Went to Inverness high from 84 to 90.....would be easier to list the teachers who didn't have meltdowns tbh. The languages dept seemed to be the event horizon for the hardcore sociopaths and art was the natural home of the beasts.

11 hours ago, kilbowie2002 said:

I remember hearing about that breakdown, that guy was a complete target, shame he seemed really harmless. Think he was a very orthodox jewish guy.

Mr Godfrey was a nice guy too, did you ever have Mr Gellatly? He was a crackin guy, I went back to DA post grad when I had considered teaching, saw him in a totally different light, really funny guy, for a rangers fan.

I didn't have Gellatly, no, I was in Ms Milligan's class for Modern Studies.  My mates had Gellatly though and always thought he was a bit of a creep. I'm sure most teachers are nothing like what the kids think of them.

Again, not a proper meltdown, more blatant victimisation (against me). 

First year Art class. Nobody took it that seriously, but all the lads used to carry on a bit too much. Myself, I was a cheeky wee smart-arse, but we never overstepped the mark. 

Come "exam" time, we all had to paint a picture. Can't remember of what. Somehow, the teacher thought she could give us a percentage score for each picture. Nearly every lad in the class got 45% - which just happened to be the pass mark. Except me. No word of a lie. She gave me 44%. I'm not saying I battered out something good enough to put in the Sistine Chapel, but it wasn't that bad. She must have just had it in for me. 

Hilariously, the teacher's name was "Miss Fair". 

I also went a quite a posh school later on, where I was shocked to be called a "cheeky wee c**t" by a trainee Chemistry teacher (who was actually smaller than me) for pointing out when you should use "its" and "it's". 

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

I'll admit to melting down on a Friday in my days at Port Glasgow High. That was the day that they split the 2nd years by ability rather than just mixed ability, allowing some board lessons rather than the SMP individual stuff. I got the bottom lot - zero interest in learning anything and many of them regularly suspended. One boy sat whistling to himself (on good days) whilst another was set to take over the running of his recently-murdered father's drug business.

I could often feel my face change colour. The Depute head once observed me teaching them (school wide thing) and couldn't believe they'd all been put in the same room.

One supply teacher lasted until noon when she marched the (notoriously difficult) S3 Modern Studies class to the head's office, said "Here's your class" and fucked off, never to be seen again.

When doing supply, it was interesting to note that the ones you were covering for often had the really crap classes. Any good classes were usually met with "oh, I'll take them, you can watch my lot" from the PTs.

I tend to find that the bottom sets have very little behaviour problems, as they are generally just kids who are very poor socially and academically.

It's the second-bottom sets where you start getting behaviour problems - kids who could be bright but can't be bothered and don't do any work, but aren't low ability enough to be put in a bottom set.

At Millburn Academy in Inverness we had a Tech Design teacher called Mr Hamilton, who we called Mr Sheen because of the impressive shine his bald head would omit under the classroom lights.

In 1st year there was this wee arsehole of a girl called Stephanie who I was also in primary school with.  One day not long after new year her and her mate kept giggling and talking through the class, and with no prior warning, Mr Hamilton picked up this Meccano type vehicle he was showing us, and absolutely fucking launched it at her head.  She ducked and it smashed against the wall behind her.  Absolute scenes.  Think he was sacked not long after that.  He did bizarrely a few weeks beforehand on the last day before breaking up for Christmas, let us watch Thriller.

That Stephanie lassie is still kicking about Inverness and she is very fat now.

39 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I tend to find that the bottom sets have very little behaviour problems, as they are generally just kids who are very poor socially and academically.

It's the second-bottom sets where you start getting behaviour problems - kids who could be bright but can't be bothered and don't do any work, but aren't low ability enough to be put in a bottom set.

I'd agree with that, lower middling classes were often full of muppets.

This lot were the exception. Trying to get them to do algebra before lunch on a Friday was an experience and a half.

15 minutes ago, kilbowie2002 said:

Had her for higher and she was great. Had Gellatly for social subjects and found he did have some strange habits.
There was one history teacher called Mr Smith who used to do supply work, he was prone to a bit of a melt down.

Mr Smith played the opening game of WC 2002 for members of his classes and he had a bit of a meltdown when folk he didn't know kept trying to get in and watch it. Seemed to have a short temper, but he was a St Mirren fan so probably understandable.

Not a full on meltdown but an old maths teacher of mine loved the occasional 'moment'. One occasion saw him threaten to drop kick someone out the door for swinging on a chair and another was when he got a nonsense answer from someone, drew a circle on the blackboard and head butted it with full force.

Had a techy teacher who lost it one day and threw the chisel in his hand onto the workbench and it flew into someone's face. They were ok though, and I could understand his rage as a guy at the back of the class had crouched behind another kid who proceeded to step backwards, fall and end up right through the plasterboard wall into the next class.

Archived