Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

6 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Posted this blog about Cowden's Central Park on the League two forum, just spamming this topic too as there's a couple of older photos on it

Moving The Goalposts

"..and Colin Jackson, the Rangers centre half who was known as The Caramel Wafer because he was ‘Gray and Dunn’. "

:lol:

39 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Johnstone's own record victory was 20-0 over Greenock Abstainers in the Scottish Cup 1891-92 First Series.

Couldn't even console themselves with a stiff drink...

They probably couldn't raise a full team. Not in Greenock.

On 2016-8-29 at 15:35, CityDave said:

A view of the unusual J shaped covered standing area at Links Park. Was this meant to go all the way round opposite the Main Stand to behind the other goals to make a c shaped covered standing area? 

Football travels March 08 to May 08 001.jpg

iam sure when the new main stand was built the pitch was moved over too, thats way it has that unusual shape

Some sources say it was 20-1 so maybe they got a goal. Previous season they were beaten 13-0 at home by Newmilns; year before that Renfrew scratched to them before they went down 8-0 at Port Glasgow Athletic. They were earlier called John Dunlop Templars FC. He was the great hero of Scottish temperance-abstinence, and was magistrate in Greenock.

Harmonic Good Templars Dennistoun took Clyde to a replay in 1880-81 :lol: :lol:: drawing 1-1 at home, lost 2-1 away. Aisla scratched to them in the previous round. Season before Stonefield scratched to them, then they lost 5-0 at Alexandra Athletic.

United Abstainers Athletic from Crosshill Glasgow fared somewhat better and were the only alcohol team ever to win a tie. They lost 4-1 at Pollokshields Athletic... beat them 2-1 at home then lost 11-0 at Battlefield... lost 6-2 at Rangers - in a fairly creditable score... lost 11-0 at Burnbank Swifts... scratched to Battlefield... scratched to Glasgow Wanderers... then again scratched to Battlefield.

Dunipace Temperance Association made a solitary appearance, losing 5-0 at Falkirk.

Temperance Athletic of Glasgow were original user of Saracen Park. They only seem to have entered once losing 18-2 at Cowlairs. There was also a Temperance Athletic in Montrose.

Junior alcohol sides included Carron Templars, Denny Temperance, Dumfries Temperance, Good Templars Perth, Kilbirnie Star Templars, Larbert Templars, Thornliebank Templars and Glasgow teams such as Triumph Good Templars and straightforward The Templar... and the wonderfully named Catch-my-Pal Inverness :lol: who amount to an all-time classic.

As I recall SFL was founded in a temperance hotel, as were Brechin City.

On 2016-8-29 at 21:47, HibeeJibee said:

Turriff Utd has what always seems a rather ridiculous stand. "Let's build a small stand". "Ok, but let's build it with two tiers". "Ok, but only if it's behind the corner flag". Quirky for sure.

turriff15.jpg

christ they dont make em like that anymore

remember  the scottish football league review books, i had 85/86 season,  and i loved the  ground lay out diagrams  , where covered seating was in black, open terrace was lines, covered terrace  was darker thicker lines ? and uncovered seating was  dots

15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Harmonic Good Templars Dennistoun took Clyde to a replay in 1880-81 :lol: :lol:: drawing 1-1 at home, lost 2-1 away. Aisla scratched to them in the previous round. Season before Stonefield scr
Junior alcohol sides included Carron Templars, Denny Temperance, Dumfries Temperance, Good Templars Perth, Kilbirnie Star Templars, Larbert Templars, Thornliebank Templars and Glasgow teams such as Triumph Good Templars and straightforward The Templar... and the wonderfully named Catch-my-Pal Inverness :lol: who amount to an all-time classic.

I like to think that the team I support has an excellent name, but my God, that Inverness side's one is magnificent.

How does such a thing happen? Seriously.

Catch-my-Pal Inverness were reasonably handy, too.

They won the North Caledonian League in 1924-25.

Having searched online it seems this particular temperance movement originated in Northern Ireland in the early twentieth century. "Catch-my-Pal" was its slogan.

Brief history here in 2 pages of PDF, plus a link about the movement in Inverness:

http://www.historyarmagh.org/dox/190120111279.pdf

http://caleythistleonline.com/topic/17151-catch-my-pal/

1 hour ago, gruppenfuhrer said:

remember  the scottish football league review books, i had 85/86 season,  and i loved the  ground lay out diagrams  , where covered seating was in black, open terrace was lines, covered terrace  was darker thicker lines ? and uncovered seating was  dots

The bible of Scottish football.

Internet killed it 

2 hours ago, gruppenfuhrer said:

Spot on with the recollections. They also included other buildings in solid black which caused a bit of confusion - like at Arbroath where there seemed to be stands behind anothet stand and so couldn't see the pitch, clearly looking back now they were ticket offices or changing facilities but as a very young boy I was puzzled as to how someone sitting there could watch the game. The covered L shaped stand at Tynecastle was one that was handily clearly identified in the review - looking over from the Main Stand it just looked like a deep cavernous terrace.

45 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Spot on with the recollections. They also included other buildings in solid black which caused a bit of confusion - like at Arbroath where there seemed to be stands behind anothet stand and so couldn't see the pitch, clearly looking back now they were ticket offices or changing facilities but as a very young boy I was puzzled as to how someone sitting there could watch the game. The covered L shaped stand at Tynecastle was one that was handily clearly identified in the review - looking over from the Main Stand it just looked like a deep cavernous terrace.

thats right with arbroath another little black box  behind the main black box

Christ aye. I miss those books. Knew them from cover to cover.

Pitch looks fantastic

The pitch was rated as the 4th best surface in Scottish football that season after the ground was inspected and seemed suitable to host a Scottish Cup tie by the SFA.