Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

19 hours ago, CityDave94 said:

This one is a mystery. I cannot remember exactly where this one was. The photo was taken on the 23rd April 2011 at 13:21.

I'm thinking Banff and the home team is Devoronside, I might be wrong. There is a high fence on the right disappearing out of shot which could be the boundary fence with the neighbouring Princess Royal Park, home of Deveronvale.

Anyone assist?

DSC00082.thumb.JPG.63c850c2c1355486c210ac5ddef6266a.JPG

Aye that's Banff. Coop top left just before the bridge round to MacDuff. Spotty Bag shop down past the Coop to the left.

5 hours ago, Jim Main said:

Great view from the stand though. It's bizarre how new stands these days seem to be designed and built so close to the ground. As in, ground-level. I thought the whole point of a grandstand, was to give a 'grandstand view' ?!?

New Douglas Park (or whatever it’s currently called) gets a lot of stick, but for an away fan the view from behind the goal to the opposite end is excellent.  It’s close to the pitch but high up.

It’s never going to be a favourite with only 2 sides developed, but compared to st Mirren, Motherwell, County (and possibly McDiarmid behind the goal as well?) etc the view is far superior. Dens and Tynecastle aren’t too bad as they’re quite steep and you can sit further up for a better view.

56 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

New Douglas Park (or whatever it’s currently called) gets a lot of stick, but for an away fan the view from behind the goal to the opposite end is excellent.  It’s close to the pitch but high up.

It’s never going to be a favourite with only 2 sides developed, but compared to st Mirren, Motherwell, County (and possibly McDiarmid behind the goal as well?) etc the view is far superior. Dens and Tynecastle aren’t too bad as they’re quite steep and you can sit further up for a better view.

cljs27.thumb.jpg.9a6ae947cf0c66e8ed7fc12b08b08977.jpg

I would agree with the view but the net gets in the way slightly. Unless they take it down for Hamilton matches and don't bother for Clyde ones. 

5 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I would agree with the view but the net gets in the way slightly. Unless they take it down for Hamilton matches and don't bother for Clyde ones. 

They weren't up when we played clyde last season.    I'm guessing falkirk are the only club to visit either side in the league who would have behind the goal opened for them,  I reckon they forgot for this game.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I'm sure there's been Accies v Killie games that I've been at where the nets have been up, and others where they haven't. Seems an odd one.

NDP does have its faults - like every stadium does - but I do like that even in row A you're likely to get a decent, elevated view of the game. Maybe not the best if you're disabled, but I'm sure there are facilities to help out with this.

15 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Elevated platforms for disabled fans seem to be received very well but there's only a handful of grounds that offer it.

The new one that we've put up at RP is much better than the old one that was there beforehand - however, as it's down the front of the Moffat Stand I feel it's perhaps a wee bit too open to the elements. Still, our disabled fans are largely complimentary about it. The new viewing platforms up the back of the North Stand at Hampden are really good too - night and day from people with mobility issues having to sit down the front with a less-than-great view and being open to the elements.

11 hours ago, Jim Main said:

As a kid me and my mates used to follow Buckie Thistle around all the time, either on supporters buses or PT, but only ever went to Princess Royal Park once. One incredibly cold January day in the late 70's, white ground, swirling snow (could even have been an orange ball)...and we lost. 

Great view from the stand though. It's bizarre how new stands these days seem to be designed and built so close to the ground. As in, ground-level. I though the whole point of a grandstand, was to give a 'grandstand view' ?!?

The photos taken from the stand side were taken at ground level.

16 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Photo of the main stand at Palmerston - shows the new blue plastic bucket seats referred to by @Monkey Tennis.  For an "old" stand it has fairly unrestricted views of the pitch apart from the single large steel pillar support in the middle.  It's still mainly a wooden construction though and (post Bradford) I'm not quite sure how we manage to get this re-licenced each season (MT may know this .....).

image.png.cd933d0f126d3ebd921d50ced9c4c64b.png

Remember one game I made the mistake of sitting towards the back right corner of the stand. Was a mid-week night game, I was late getting down to Dumfries and I was just glad to get in and get a seat as the turnstiles had all closed. You couldn't see the goal to the right of the photo because the glass was not clean. Switched down to the terrace at half time. That was probably about 20 years ago so am sure they've cleaned them by now?

4 hours ago, Swarley said:

Remember one game I made the mistake of sitting towards the back right corner of the stand. Was a mid-week night game, I was late getting down to Dumfries and I was just glad to get in and get a seat as the turnstiles had all closed. You couldn't see the goal to the right of the photo because the glass was not clean. Switched down to the terrace at half time. That was probably about 20 years ago so am sure they've cleaned them by now?

Cleaned the glass, seriously? ... I wouldn't bet on it!  We don't even clean the seagull crap off the seats (in the new stand anyway). 🤣

But aye, as you and @Monkey Tennis have both said those back corners of the main stand can't make for good viewing of the adjacent goalmouths.  I use the opposite more modern East stand these days which has uninterrupted views of the pitch although lacks some of the elevation of the old stand.

It's creaking, groaning and falling apart in places now, but I still love Palmerston - it has all the quirkiness that modern lego block stadiums lack ... and those old floodlight pylons are sexy as hell compared to the modern standard "poles".  When I started going to away games, visiting new towns you could often find your way (pre the Internet and Google Maps) to the stadium by looking for the floodlights.  And the big covered Portland Road terrace (when its busy) behind the goals ... man what a sight/sound, dearie me.  Happy days.

Edited by Otis Blue

23 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

Is Thurso FC the only football team to have a Banksy? (Might not be the real Banksy, although the town claims to have two!)

IMG_9218.jpeg

IMG_9215.jpeg

Arniston Rangers can top that overhyped hack Banksy. They have a Throbbsy. 

ar11.thumb.jpg.1a3575952c6861bf8be96021e179357b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Cathkin's historic look being shaken up.

Jimmy Johnstone FC given 20yr lease and now planning permission to fell trees, lay hardstanding on open side, 3m fence round pitch, and later lighting. 

Glasgow City Council approves bid to fence off football pitch | Glasgow Times

Glasgow residents hit out at plans to fence off football pitch | Glasgow Times

CHttpHandler.ashx (glasgow.gov.uk)

image.png.4996598dccc685845ebfd16ad5887c01.png

16 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Cathkin's historic look being shaken up.

Jimmy Johnstone FC given 20yr lease and now planning permission to fell trees, lay hardstanding on open side, 3m fence round pitch, and later lighting. 

Glasgow City Council approves bid to fence off football pitch | Glasgow Times

Glasgow residents hit out at plans to fence off football pitch | Glasgow Times

CHttpHandler.ashx (glasgow.gov.uk)

image.png.4996598dccc685845ebfd16ad5887c01.png

News reaches Clyde.

vulture-looking.gif