Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

Love this thread, been slowly picking my way through over the past few months.
I thought folk here would be interested in this article, about a journalist's book of old pictures of Scottish grounds: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/scotland/639226/lifted-over-the-turnstiles-new-book-reveals-scottish-football-stadium-photos-not-seen-for-50-years/ 
Book's out in May and it looks like a must-buy.

Written by Steve Finan - was in my class at school!

10 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

I wonder what the old board would have done with the two ends if they had survived that season. Pretty sure that grounds had to be all-seater by 1994/95.

Hibs put in bucket seats in the two ends because they were planning to move to a new ground (Straiton). That fell through and they were then left with a big rush job to build the two end stands in the spring / summer of 95. Meant they had to play one game (vs Falkirk?) on a midweek afternoon because there were no floodlights.

I'm sure the last game with the jungle as terracing was the Scottish Cup Final between Rangers and Aberdeen. Can remember the **** singing "we sung the sash in the jungle"

57 minutes ago, sjc said:

I'm sure the last game with the jungle as terracing was the Scottish Cup Final between Rangers and Aberdeen. Can remember the **** singing "we sung the sash in the jungle"

Celtic arranged a friendly a few days later to ensure that wouldn't be the case, vaguely remember it being between the Lisbon Lions and the Man Utd guys who won the EC in 1968

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

Me, loads of times, but only to lower level matches. In the past year I've been to Musselburgh, Jeanfield Swifts (Perth), Kilmarnock (for a Scotland age-grade match), Bonnyrigg Rose, Neilston... there might be others but I can't remember. Junior clubs always let you bring your bike in and the guys at the gates have always been very welcoming about it.

I wouldn't do it at a match with a big crowd though, because there's too many people walking on the paths, too many cars on the road and too many neds who'll steal your bike from outside. There's also a bigger risk of not getting it on the train.

If they had a segregated bike path all the way it's definitely how I'd choose to get there from the train station. Without it clearly being just for bikes you'll encounter too many folk walking to/from the game, especially as you get nearer. Instead I'll probably end up driving like everyone else.

Fair enough, never crossed my mind as a way to get to the football. 

In saying that I once went to a match in Beijing and the vast majority of the 30,000 ish crowd arrived on "boris bikes" . The shared ones. The streets were filled with mountains of discarded yellow bikes at kick off time!

Hell of a walk from the train station to Kingswells. Not convinced walking is feasible, so car, bus or bike it will have to be!

11 hours ago, steelman1991 said:

Yes - the day the great late Davie Cooper sadly passed away.

Match report by Shug Keevins. "Edinburgh may also claim to be the truancy and flexi-time centre of Scotland".

Demolition work on the north terracing ("Cave") going on during the game.

Both from the excellent "Hiblog" site.

https://thehiblog.wordpress.com/2008/06/20/hibs-2-motherwell-0-22-march-1995/

motherwell220395.jpg

motherwell220395pic.jpg

On 27/08/2016 at 23:32, shull said:

The Home Seats at St Mirren Park.

Why the f*ck are they facing the Pitch ?

So we can see Stephen McGinn lifting the Championship trophy, you miserable Samson-bashing gobshite.

On 4/11/2018 at 12:49, Merkie84 said:

I quite like this but it does raise the question: Had anyone ever in the history of Scottish football ever cycled to a match?

Seems a bit wierd to me, and I like cycling! 

There's an old boy who cycles to some Killie games and has done for many years.   Think he is well into his 80s now.

I passed him cycling on Western Road after the game yesterday while he was wearing the KFC 125th Anniversary top (tartan one) here

On 21 April 2018 at 20:32, kingjoey said:

Fairy nuff. I’m wrong....and old.

Tbf, i didn't realise the Derry had benches put in that early. I knew the Provost Rd end didn't have benches at the last league game of 1979/80 coz i was standing in there under the shed the night Dundee were relegated.

On 12/04/2018 at 23:52, Flybhoy said:

The Jungle was all seater for one season, 93-94 before the old Celtic Park was raised to the ground and rebuilt. 

IMG_20180412_235014.jpg

Are they proper seats?

I had in my head that there were benches in place that season, but it doesn't look like it in the photo. 

Were they bucket seats bolted onto benches perhaps, or do I just need to let my fixation with benches go?

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Are they proper seats?

I had in my head that there were benches in place that season, but it doesn't look like it in the photo. 

Were they bucket seats bolted onto benches perhaps, or do I just need to let my fixation with benches go?

They were proper seats, Fergus being Fergus being as fly as the day is long when it came to pennies, took them out and put them in the existing main stand as they were relatively new, replacing the, amusing and bizarrely coloured orange seats that were in place there at that point, I believe most/all are still there to this day.

4 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

Match report by Shug Keevins. "Edinburgh may also claim to be the truancy and flexi-time centre of Scotland".

motherwell220395.jpg

motherwell220395pic.jpg

I first went to Easter Road in 1986 and I don't remember the coo shed having crush barriers - it always had those bench seats that are shown in the photo. 

It was from those very bench seats that I saw Joe Tortolano half Gordon Strachan in Gordon Rae's testimonial! :lol:

I first went to Easter Road in 1986 and I don't remember the coo shed having crush barriers - it always had those bench seats that are shown in the photo. 
It was from those very bench seats that I saw Joe Tortolano half Gordon Strachan in Gordon Rae's testimonial! [emoji38]

They were at the back of it for the path out.

On 11/04/2018 at 12:49, Merkie84 said:

I quite like this but it does raise the question: Had anyone ever in the history of Scottish football ever cycled to a match?

Seems a bit wierd to me, and I like cycling! 

Cycled to Whitehill games a few times but then they're only about a mile from ma hoose :lol:

However I did go cycling in NI in 1998, same week as the Good Friday Agreement, went to a couple of games then came back over Larne-Cairnryan on the Saturday to catch ICT at Stranraer.

Just joined P&B and loving this thread, I have start at P1 (treating it as a book) only on P38, but was surprised to see my wee man leaning on the temporary fence at Cliftonhill, nearest the camera with the Pars Hat on P32.  Now that was a cold day out, stood in a frozen puddle for 90 minuets, great fun.

I read on the early pages about Livy having a club under there stand. The thing I loved most was the etched glass door, at some point there must have been a accident. As both had a huge Livy crest but one had Livingston FC and the other door Livingstone FC etched underneath.

Edited by DulochCoverted

On 23 April 2018 at 23:15, Flybhoy said:

Found this VERY old picture of a barely recognisable Tannadice on Facebook earlier, no main stand or big terrace opposite it so guessing it could be 1950's or older...????

FB_IMG_1524521518633.jpg

Probably looked like that when my father got a trial there in 1939.

On 4/22/2018 at 19:37, JamesM82 said:

motherwell220395.jpg

motherwell220395pic.jpg

Was at this game, which was easy as I lived in Leith at the time and worked in Edinburgh but the novelty of the kick off time was ruined by the news about Davie Cooper - have rarely felt so flat at a game...