Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

13 minutes ago, Radford said:

Stark's Park?

Surely it and Brockville are ruled out by the black and white scarves in the crowd.  

They don't look dark blue and white and Dundee United had by then been wearing tangerine for almost a decade.  

Stark's Park?
Could be. The houses look close but I think the wall kind if foreshortens it a bit and it is in fact the houses across the road from the old terracing next to the Main Stand. I wonder if the photo has been flipped and he's actually standing at (what is now) the away stand end?

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Can't the stanchions provide some clues here?

Were the goalposts not generic back then? 

Here's the posts from Ayr.. 

Spoiler

Image_08_jpg.jpg.29d26b016e3b6f05ab4680b721dee389.jpg

7 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Were the goalposts not generic back then? 

Here's the posts from Ayr.. 

Hide contents

Image_08_jpg.jpg.29d26b016e3b6f05ab4680b721dee389.jpg

There's our answer then.

It's Ayr.

They were nothing like generic in Scotland or England until the mid 90s.

Some more evidence.

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/132363676532158

Edited by Monkey Tennis

16 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

A bird's eye view of Ibrox in the 1970's 

IMG_20180325_172442.jpg

This is between 66-67 (the Copland Road End was covered during the season) and 1973 when the seats were put in at the near side which became the Centenary Stand.

This photo clears up a load of questions from younger posters about the infamous Stairway 13. Unlike Hampden, you could only exit the end terraces at 2 places which you can clearly see at the Broomloan End. So the whole crowd from behind the goals was funnelled into 2 stairways and the crush could be terrifying. Stairway 13 can be seen sticking out on the extreme left.

A way of avoiding the crush can be seen - the sloping path leading from the Cowshed. There was no segregation then, you could move round the terrace. Also something I never realised before, the land must have been higher at the Broomloan End as the stairways there are shorter.

12 hours ago, The Mantis said:

This is between 66-67 (the Copland Road End was covered during the season) and 1973 when the seats were put in at the near side which became the Centenary Stand.

This photo clears up a load of questions from younger posters about the infamous Stairway 13. Unlike Hampden, you could only exit the end terraces at 2 places which you can clearly see at the Broomloan End. So the whole crowd from behind the goals was funnelled into 2 stairways and the crush could be terrifying. Stairway 13 can be seen sticking out on the extreme left.

A way of avoiding the crush can be seen - the sloping path leading from the Cowshed. There was no segregation then, you could move round the terrace. Also something I never realised before, the land must have been higher at the Broomloan End as the stairways there are shorter.

When did the work take place to put in the three new stands and how long did it take?

I don't really remember seeing Ibrox as a big bowl at all, but I do remember it a bit as construction was happening I think - a televised match against Juventus springs to mind.   

They never moved out like Celtic later did though, so the upheaval must have been considerable.

8 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

When did the work take place to put in the three new stands and how long did it take?

I don't really remember seeing Ibrox as a big bowl at all, but I do remember it a bit as construction was happening I think - a televised match against Juventus springs to mind.   

They never moved out like Celtic later did though, so the upheaval must have been considerable.

Just off the top of my head, they did the Copland, then the Broomloan, then the Govan over about 4 years up to 1981. The costs went up from about £6m to £10m so the club was skint till 1986 when the Souness revolution started with Davie Holmes as chairman.

31 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

A packed old Tannadice, possibly the home leg of the 1987 UEFA cup final v Gothenburg?

FB_IMG_1522021715782.jpg

GD in the bunnet? 

Edited by jagfox99

13 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Also something I never realised before, the land must have been higher at the Broomloan End as the stairways there are shorter.

When Saints won 1-0 at Ibrox on 12/8/78 the Copland Rd end had been levelled and work had started on building the current stand. That meant that the majority of the Rangers support and all of the Saints support were in the Broomloan terrace. 

its the scariest experience I've ever endured at a football match, 1000s of people queuing up to get down that wee flight of stairs in the bottom left of that picture and just being swept along till you reached the path at the bottom. Even then there was a long sloping path until you reached the bottom of the other staircase at the Edmiston Drive side.

Edited by Arch Stanton