Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

6 hours ago, ham89 said:

That's a great photo.

I'd love it if they brought in a safe standing enclosure in the bottom tier.

Love going down to Carlisle and standing in the enclosure there.

Eh? If you enjoy standing on the terracing at Carlisle then why would you want a 'safe' standing section? Why wouldn't you just want a terracing section?

Eh? If you enjoy standing on the terracing at Carlisle then why would you want a 'safe' standing section? Why wouldn't you just want a terracing section?
Well I'd love a full terrace, but I just can't see that happening.

On 24/01/2018 at 18:06, Ken Fitlike said:

‘ have you examples of your previous projects, Mr Leitch...?

Not Scottish but here's Goodison with the Leitch main stand. Note how it fits the road layout a bit like Dens Park.

everton_aerial.jpg

an-aerial-view-of-goodison-park-and-surr

12 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Definitely looks like the cowshed side to me. First the far away bit with the second tier which was there up till the 1970s. Secondly I doubt if there was terracing there before the 1928 Leitch Stand, just the old main stand, and if there was terracing they would have demolished it. Third, it doesn’t look like the main stand at all, shape-wise. It looks like the old double roofed cowshed.

Disregard the above pish. A picture is worth a thousand words :lol:

Also notice the roof-mounted lights similar to Rugby Park and Cappielow.

IMG_0212.thumb.JPG.4a44d45268427aae9c5a90b33e0a0d77.JPG

6 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Not Scottish but here's Goodison with the Leitch main stand. Note how it fits the road layout a bit like Dens Park.

everton_aerial.jpg

an-aerial-view-of-goodison-park-and-surr

That's not Leitch's Main Stand which was replaced by structure in your pictures between 1969 and 1971.

This is Leitch's stand

everton-goodison-park-west-stand-goodiso

JS31143970.jpg

and this is it being replaced by the current stand (the one in your pictures)

everton-goodison-park-west-stand-goodiso

9 minutes ago, Ken Fitlike said:

while straying away from the 'quirks of Scottish stadiums'  original theme, that main stand at Goodison is a joyous sight for any ground-hopper...... I feel vertigo kicking in just looking at photos

27751838_10215686754947660_3283319326952505317_n.jpg

image-19-for-archive-pictures-of-goodison-park-home-of-everton-fc-gallery-367781757.jpg

everton-6-stoke-0-10208228.jpg

I’ve been up there! Michty!

while straying away from the 'quirks of Scottish stadiums'  original theme, that main stand at Goodison is a joyous sight for any ground-hopper...... I feel vertigo kicking in just looking at photos

27751838_10215686754947660_3283319326952505317_n.jpg.5155543ff8e98de5f3601b433ff50203.jpg
image-19-for-archive-pictures-of-goodison-park-home-of-everton-fc-gallery-367781757.thumb.jpg.0c90c4e7353fd2da6162475032074876.jpg
everton-6-stoke-0-10208228.jpg.10dd2f4125b97d99375653961fafe66f.jpg
Jeez , that's incredible , take it that's the stand the TV camera's mounted on , don't ever recall seeing it . That bottom picture mid construction is amazing , really see the rake on the top tier , almost looks like it's defying gravity. Always found the grounds with tiers stacked on top rather than above and behind fascinating , loftus road is another example that I would love to visit , think it would make for a cracking atmosphere.

19 hours ago, tamthebam said:

awr6.thumb.jpg.f133ff2f786bda463aa29ee763beb441.jpg

I went to Adrossan Winton Rovers (good guys and worth a visit) for the first time a couple of months ago- I was taken with this floodlight as it looks as if its been nicked off a railway! 

You are partially correct, they were not nicked but purchased from ICI at stevenston for scrap value plus transport, they did however illuminate the railway marshalling yard at the former nylon plant. All 5 pylons plus a large amount of cabling came from there

Jeez , that's incredible , take it that's the stand the TV camera's mounted on , don't ever recall seeing it . That bottom picture mid construction is amazing , really see the rake on the top tier , almost looks like it's defying gravity. Always found the grounds with tiers stacked on top rather than above and behind fascinating , loftus road is another example that I would love to visit , think it would make for a cracking atmosphere.
The TV cameras actually look straight at that stand but they don't often have an angle that shows the third tier due to the camera gantry being quite close to the pitch and the roof overhang blocking most of the seats. You can see it on some wide shots though, especially on the far left of the screen. In Germany, Dynamo Dresden are toying with the idea of adding a third tier to their ground even though it's an enclosed bowl. It'll hang from the roof at some mental angle that probably wouldn't pass H&S codes in the UK. 27dynamo1.jpg

The TV cameras actually look straight at that stand but they don't often have an angle that shows the third tier due to the camera gantry being quite close to the pitch and the roof overhang blocking most of the seats. You can see it on some wide shots though, especially on the far left of the screen. In Germany, Dynamo Dresden are toying with the idea of adding a third tier to their ground even though it's an enclosed bowl. It'll hang from the roof at some mental angle that probably wouldn't pass H&S codes in the UK. 27dynamo1.jpg.635d7a96ddf115273ee88e6445073ee3.jpg

That looks to actually be 2 extra levels

The TV cameras actually look straight at that stand but they don't often have an angle that shows the third tier due to the camera gantry being quite close to the pitch and the roof overhang blocking most of the seats. You can see it on some wide shots though, especially on the far left of the screen. In Germany, Dynamo Dresden are toying with the idea of adding a third tier to their ground even though it's an enclosed bowl. It'll hang from the roof at some mental angle that probably wouldn't pass H&S codes in the UK. 27dynamo1.jpg.635d7a96ddf115273ee88e6445073ee3.jpg
Ah ok cheers , will pay a bit more attention next time I'm watching a game. That Dresden idea looks mental !

4 hours ago, Ken Fitlike said:

27751838_10215686754947660_3283319326952505317_n.jpg

I've been up there a few times and, despite not having a head for heights, I've never felt it's been exceptionally high. I never actually thought about it until your post. I expect the pics make it look a lot worse than it actually is.

14 hours ago, 7-2 said:

I've been up there a few times and, despite not having a head for heights, I've never felt it's been exceptionally high. I never actually thought about it until your post. I expect the pics make it look a lot worse than it actually is.

The main stand at Goodison is a dreadful place to watch football.  Goodison in general is poor unless you can find very specific seats.

The inside of the stand is like Somerset Park.  I do appreciate the old fashioned nature of the ground though.

6 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

The main stand at Goodison is a dreadful place to watch football.  Goodison in general is poor unless you can find very specific seats.

The inside of the stand is like Somerset Park.  I do appreciate the old fashioned nature of the ground though.

I was there in 1975 when the main stand was still a bit of a novelty for England, never mind what we were used to in Scotland. The ground still had those funny curved cut-outs behind the goals which you can see in footage from the 1966 World Cup when they occasionally forget to show the winners and show N Korea v Italy or Portugal instead.

6 hours ago, Dindeleux said:

You've got to be very careful which seats you get or you're faced with at least one series of pillars to peer past. That top tier has only set though although they aren't exactly thin. Being over 6ft I'd suggest the leg room could be a tad better too, like many older grounds too. There can be a great atmosphere but it certainly comes at a price.