Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Speaking of clubs who sunk like a stone after greedy chancers flogged their ground for personal gain, the bench-tastic arena that was Kilbowie Park, Clydebank.

IMG_20180114_144742.jpg

BL3UN94CAAEjULJ.jpg

B0qZJMkIEAEeM-r.jpg

clydebank_v_raith_rovers_1989-90.jpg

I can remember sitting in that wee stand in front of the pavilion at a Reserve League Cup tie against the Bankies back in 1988:lol:

I used to love going to Kilbowie. Certainly lots of quirks there with the bench seating, the mix of covered and uncovered seating, the wee stand with the plastic tip up seats next to the pavilion, the trains rattling past to Singer (?) Station... and then for more quirkiness, the "floating chip shop" which I think is still just along from where the ground stood. A wee boat on a canal that was (is?) a fish and chip restaurant and takeaway.

1 hour ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

, the "floating chip shop" which I think is still just along from where the ground stood. A wee boat on a canal that was (is?) a fish and chip restaurant and takeaway.

Never knew that, absolutely fucking magnificent :lol:

Scotland  :wub:

20 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

the trains rattling past to Singer (?) Station... and then for more quirkiness, the "floating chip shop" which I think is still just along from where the ground stood. A wee boat on a canal that was (is?) a fish and chip restaurant and takeaway.

Singer is correct and the floating fish and chip restaurant is indeed still there!

2 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Cracking pic of floodlights being fitted at Dens Park and a roof on the 'Derry'.

Sometime in the 60's id imagine?

IMG_20180115_151222.jpg

Excellent pic. I've always wondered why the Derry's roof only went up to just after the halfway line and didn't extend to the length of the pitch though?

Terracing becomes 'truncated' where the steps arrive.

If you look at Archibald Leitch's design shown earlier it would obviously have entailed building-up the terracing far more grandly than in practice.

98bf4bf79b91b1bc681b3df2547e662a--football-stadiums-school-football.jpg     Dens+1952.jpg

football_b27_161.png

DSC05570.JPG

Dens in the 70s, pre benches, and with the stand enclosure still terraced looks magnificent. Looked even better when it was full too!

A few Queens Park fans at a game in 1980 at a less than jam packed Hampden.

Note the old style terracing steps, common in that era which were basically compacted earth/gravel with wooden sleepers forming the step, on a warm, dry day you would often see clouds of dusty ash created by large crowds celebrating when a goal went in on cup final day.

FB_IMG_1516226918491.jpg

12 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

A few Queens Park fans at a game in 1980 at a less than jam packed Hampden.

Note the old style terracing steps, common in that era which were basically compacted earth/gravel with wooden sleepers forming the step, on a warm, dry day you would often see clouds of dusty ash created by large crowds celebrating when a goal went in on cup final day.

FB_IMG_1516226918491.jpg

Saw Kilmarnock playing Queens Park around that time. The record breaking 60,000 East Terracing was closed that day.

34 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Saw Kilmarnock playing Queens Park around that time. The record breaking 60,000 East Terracing was closed that day.

We played them a few times at Hampden in the 80s. 

Worst ever was the 3rd game of the season in the old 2nd Division (in reality the 3rd Division) and we lost leaving us 3rd bottom of the league.