Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

On ‎07‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 09:34, thisal said:

Are you sure according to google there were only! 90000 at the Billy Graham thing.

Mmm, I'm sure I've read that in a book and heard it on the Hampden tour... It was a program of evangelism meetings over a period of weeks at Hampden, Ibrox, the Kelvin Hall (picture below), and elsewhere. Certainly Hampden looks more than 60% full in the photos, and you can see a ribbon of people running around the track inside the railing. According to Wikipedia just short of 1.2M people attended "meetings of one kind or another". Billy Graham is still alive, btw!

Kelvin_Hall_Interior_4_web.jpg

Certainly the BBs 50th jubilee was well over the largest football crowd as there were 230,000 present though it included a march so quite how many were in at any one time may not have been established. There was Psalm singing at the end, apparently it could be heard reverberating for miles around . Here's some video of Glasgow BB's contingent assembling at the Queen's Park Recreation Ground beforehand:

EDIT: This is from the 'First 100 Years of Hampden' book. It also mentions the Billy Graham evangelism crusade later and increases your web figure slightly - but only to "around 100,000" - but elsewhere calls it "one of Hampden's biggest-ever crowds".

"1933 also saw Hampden witness its biggest-ever crowd. Nearly a quarter of a million turned up on Sunday 11th September - and they weren't even there for a football match: the Glasgow-founded Boys Brigade had grown from humble beginnings in 1883 to spread round the globe and chose Hampden to celebrate its Jubilee year. With 130,000 inside and more than 100,000 outside the BB Conventicle was the largest open-air religious service ever seen in the UK and the culmination of a week of events in the city that concluded with psalm-singing vigorous enough to be heard over a mile away".

"CROWD PULLER: Hampden's biggest crowd was for the Boys Brigade Jubilee Conventicle. 130,000 packed in and another 100,000 waited outside".

This wouldn't be a particularly unusual phenomenon: will the current Hampden have held over 50,000 for concerts / boxing?

Edited by HibeeJibee

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

Thing of beauty can be seen behind the shed end and I’m no’ talking about the Hulltoon multis! 

Did the big enclosure where the photo is taken from used to be uncovered? Appears so here due to lack of shade but I may be wrong. I always remembered it with a roof.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

Did the big enclosure where the photo is taken from used to be uncovered? Appears so here due to lack of shade but I may be wrong. I always remembered it with a roof.

The "big" enclosure wasn't really that big, rather that the terracing behind the goals was small. The shed was packed with a couple of thousand punters in it.

1 hour ago, Flybhoy said:

They covered it when they sold Raymond Stewart I think it was, to West Ham. (1979 ish?)

I remember it being quite big. Was certainly steep and you felt right on top of the action.

Edited by PauloPerth

To continue the religious events theme - of course McDiarmid Park hosted the Jehovah's Witnesses convention until a few years ago.

I'm right there was a huge Ayrshire churches hymn service at Rugby Park in the early 2000s - possibly 2000 itself, for the millennium? EDIT: Aye, it was called "Pentecost 2000".

Edited by HibeeJibee

19 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

It was either 79 or 80 when the roof got put on I believe they used some of the transfer money for Ray Stewart's move to West Ham to pay for it.