Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

Gala Rugby Football Club moved from the old Netherdale (currently the football ground in season 61/62) and Gala Fairydean took over the old rugby ground. As the current football stand wasn't built until 1964 they would have used the old rugby stand for a few seasons.  You can clearly see Eidon Hill in the background in both of your pics.

Very impressed. Don't get this Eidon Hill though. The Eildons are away to the south of the park and I even googled Eidon Hill but found nowt. That looks like the 250m hill with the mast above Langlee. 

18 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Been in both and it really didn't.

Yeah, it was nothing great. Forthbank's actually ok, but I'm not a fan of these funny wee enclosed terraces behind the goals. Ross County had one too before they put the seats in the away end.

And a League Cup final v Hibs.

Which had the brilliant idea of an orange band masquerading as a "community band" playing at half time... Went down exceptionally well with the Hibs support who gave hundreds of quid in change to them as they paraded past.

18 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Very impressed. Don't get this Eidon Hill though. The Eildons are away to the south of the park and I even googled Eidon Hill but found nowt. That looks like the 250m hill with the mast above Langlee. 

Must have got my hills mixed up:lol:

I was curious to find out about them after you mentioned so I looked it up and found this. Quirky indeed. I like how the social club backs on to the main stand, which itself looks like it's behind the goal. I also like the hill in th far corner of the pitch.
IMG_2672.JPG.8dfd3935a6af2c55923ae2b3d6a19719.JPG
IMG_2673.thumb.JPG.be97fc2d0a019fe4f2aabe33b180d2a3.JPG
IMG_2674.JPG.40f5435150fc49ed4c4181803964613c.JPG
IMG_2675.JPG.6441682a2f95368db07f090d1aff2ca9.JPG

I love a trip along there. Closest junior team to me (well Violet are really but they're mince) so see them as my wee team. The hill is absolutely ridiculous. Not shown too well in they photos but the hill behind both dugouts are mental. One going up the way and one going down the way towards the old turnstiles on south road (I think).

This is the hill, can't see it too well either but it's a really steep drop down to the dugout. It's like a wall at times when the ball gets punted out it flies back in off it like it would at 5s. [emoji23]

IMG_1497887197.049966.jpg

This is the turnstile side, one looking down one looking up. Always seems to be young lads that get free pies or whatever that have to go down into that jungle to fetch the ball.

IMG_1497887262.203924.jpg

IMG_1497887269.152421.jpg

Then a really decent photo of the wee shed. Treated as a beer garden tbh. Everyone sitting in there seems to be pished from the hospitality, sure a boy was nursing his pint last time I went whilst watching the game. Would've loved to see it full against Ayr. No idea how they would've gone about getting fans around 3 corners of that park suiting safety regs. [emoji23]

IMG_1497887376.846736.jpg

A nice wee ground at Rothes, MacKessack Park. Very scenic with the trees and hills in the background. The leaves falling in autumn from the trees on the other side of the wall opposite the Main Stand end up on the pitch. The nearby river has flooded the pitch in the past.

Best thing about this ground is the little no-frills social club nestled away in the corner, perfect for a half time tinnie. Named to commemorate their HL championship win in 1959.

88378fff26a1e882ba231c9de3d1e625.jpg

8f6e3098b2ee73eab45a4fc2ec37ae1d.jpg

a0423470979e2cc6c2cb01a1242b3345.jpg

30 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Best thing about this ground is the little no-frills social club nestled away in the corner, perfect for a half time tinnie. Named to commemorate their HL championship win in 1959.

8f6e3098b2ee73eab45a4fc2ec37ae1d.jpg

And are nips quite common in the club?

sid james.jpg

When I took this I desperately wanted it to be the dream combination of a football ground with a distillery behind it, but even though there are 4 distilleries in Rothes that isn't one. Forget now what it is. Think the sheds on the right belong to Glen Grant though.P1030800.thumb.jpg.5a7149db08de0fa02428c9871d40c506.jpg

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

When I took this I desperately wanted it to be the dream combination of a football ground with a distillery behind it, but even though there are 4 distilleries in Rothes that isn't one. Forget now what it is. Think the sheds on the right belong to Glen Grant though.P1030800.thumb.jpg.5a7149db08de0fa02428c9871d40c506.jpg

That hill from Gala certainly gets around.

21 hours ago, Le Tout P'ti FC said:

This is a bit of a tangent, but this exhibition may be of interest to those who like "pictures of old landmarks":

http://www.glasgowheritage.org.uk/lostglasgow/

Haven't been yet so no idea if there are any football related images in there.

There's a similar LostEdinburgh project Their website is being rebuilt at time of writing http://www.lostedinburgh.com/
But they're also on FB
https://www.facebook.com/lostedinburgh/
12800218_1067173056673710_45319305300231

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 04:32, Hawkeye the Gnu said:

That's a whole lot of improvement going on there.

The jungle has never looked better.

Is that what was left after the SFA allowed the rangers  fans in for a scottish semi final?

Cant remember the year.

On Wednesday, June 14, 2017 at 22:25, PauloPerth said:

They were in there the year rangers played St Johnstone in Scottish Cup semi-final, same day as Hillsborough tragedy (1989) and the replay a few days later.

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 20:24, Glenconner said:

And a League Cup final v Hibs.

Didn't Rangers play Aberdeen at Parkhead in 1993 or 94 in the Scottish Cup Final? 

Seem to remember the **** fans singing "we sang the sash in the jungle"

3 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

There's a similar LostEdinburgh project Their website is being rebuilt at time of writing http://www.lostedinburgh.com/
But they're also on FB
https://www.facebook.com/lostedinburgh/
12800218_1067173056673710_45319305300231

The old wild west sign that some of the older Hearts fans would love to see brought back. As much as I have a wee bit of nostalgic affection for it, I really think that it's had it's time. A bit like the old Hearts badge with the Ye olde English font, fine for it's time but very pleased we've moved on.

The 93 Cup Final was Rangers v Aberdeen at Celtic Park. The Dons fans were in one of the ends, can't remember which one. There were loads of cheese and onion flavour Real McCoys getting given away for some reason.

On 29/06/2017 at 15:12, Mr. X said:

The old wild west sign that some of the older Hearts fans would love to see brought back. As much as I have a wee bit of nostalgic affection for it, I really think that it's had it's time. A bit like the old Hearts badge with the Ye olde English font, fine for it's time but very pleased we've moved on.

My dad drew and painted this on my bedroom wall. In two houses. Got in the paper with it around 1983. 

Complete work of art. Gothic print in the badge too. 

Found this VERY old picture of what is Tynecastle behind some tenements on a facebook page called 'old football stadia', well worth a like for some cracking nostalgia pics.

Older jambos may be able to confirm but, as I've only been in the Roseburn im taking an educated guess this is the opposite side of the ground?

FB_IMG_1498949856802.jpg