Favourite quirks of Scottish stadiums.

Well for starters that photo I took wasn't from the away section. This photo below is a view from opposite side of the ground towards where fans of the smaller club are supposed to watch the game. See from the line of stewards on the left to the steps beside the tunnel mark the boundaries where the fans sit between. I take it you have never sat in that wee corner bit stuck behind the Main Stand?.

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 032.jpg

It's actually fine from most of it. There are a few pillars that really get in the way though, distance wise though it's not a problem.

Any excuse...

I missed out on visiting Kilbowie by a couple of seasons. Got down to Raydale though and stood on the covered standing area that was decking and scaffolding.

Umm... that's not my fist raised there even if its County losing a goal, nope.

Gretna go 1 up against Ross Co, 17th Feb 07.jpg

40 minutes ago, CityDave said:

Well for starters that photo I took wasn't from the away section. This photo below is a view from opposite side of the ground towards where fans of the smaller club are supposed to watch the game. See from the line of stewards on the left to the steps beside the tunnel mark the boundaries where the fans sit between. I take it you have never sat in that wee corner bit stuck behind the Main Stand?.

Football travels Dec 09  to May 10 032.jpg

Used to sit just in front of that. 411, G seat 1. Even got reseated for a game once right next to a pillar and wasn't a problem.

3 minutes ago, Jimboyjones1976 said:

Used to sit just in front of that. 411, G seat 1. Even got reseated for a game once right next to a pillar and wasn't a problem.

Maybe I don't drink enough before going to games, if so I would have no problem seeing around them. There are quite a few grounds in Scotland that still have pillars, but with Celtic Park if you end up sitting low down in the stand the wall from the Main Stand prevents you from seeing the pitch down the other end with restricted view from about halfway between the penalty box and the corner flag. You just can't see what's happening down there without having to stand up. I'm not a short person.

1 hour ago, CityDave said:

Is that stand behind the goal still there at Gretna or has someone else got it now?

It is still there. I recall the Gretna FC administrator tried to sell it... Alloa rings a bell, that may be wrong... but deal fell through. Along with the rest of the ground is now used by Gretna 2008.

EDIT: Issue at Parkhead isn't just the pillars, but also due to the wings being further back that the Main Stand itself. Did they also anticipate rebuilding it?

Edited by HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, jagfox99 said:

RE: Old capacities.  I recall reading that these capacities were basically cut in half without any actual changes to the stadiums. Not sure if this was in the 60s or as late as around 1980?

They were progressively phased back on safety grounds - Hampden was never allowed beyond 150,000 despite being signed-off for over 180,000 (that included calculations allowing for people standing in the gangways) and after the war gradually came down and down e.g. it was 81,000 in 1977 despite nothing really having changed physically. Although in some respects that was perhaps also the point - because the condition of the grounds deteriorated as the decades ticked by through natural wear, weathering and lack of maintenance.

Cappielow may be the only ground to have all four types of spectator areas - covered and uncovered standing & covered and uncovered seating.

I can remember the WDE seating first being put in when I was young. On a sunny day there's no better place to watch a game.

27 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

It is still there. I recall the Gretna FC administrator tried to sell it... Alloa rings a bell, that may be wrong... but deal fell through. Along with the rest of the ground is now used by Gretna 2008.

EDIT: Issue at Parkhead isn't just the pillars, but also due to the wings being further back that the Main Stand itself. Did they also anticipate rebuilding it?

If Celtic built the rest of the stadium up to the same height as the North stand they would be looking at 75k, not the demand for it though!

1 hour ago, CityDave said:

Maybe I don't drink enough before going to games, if so I would have no problem seeing around them. There are quite a few grounds in Scotland that still have pillars, but with Celtic Park if you end up sitting low down in the stand the wall from the Main Stand prevents you from seeing the pitch down the other end with restricted view from about halfway between the penalty box and the corner flag. You just can't see what's happening down there without having to stand up. I'm not a short person.

I mention this in every matchday thread away to Celtic, and not one of them seems to believe its true. £26 for a ticket and I could only see, at best, three quarters of the pitch. Stewards refused to let us move aswell.

Horrific stadium. 

25 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

They were progressively phased back on safety grounds - Hampden was never allowed beyond 150,000 despite being signed-off for over 180,000 (that included calculations allowing for people standing in the gangways) and after the war gradually came down and down e.g. it was 81,000 in 1977 despite nothing really having changed physically. Although in some respects that was perhaps also the point - because the condition of the grounds deteriorated as the decades ticked by through natural wear, weathering and lack of maintenance.

Another reason for the capacity being reduced with no changes to the actual stadium is that people in 1977 were a lot fatter than they were at the end of the war.

35 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I recall Thistle had a capacity of 40,000 then this was halved hence us only getting 20,000 on our return to the top flight in 1992/93.  I'm not sure if this would have been a council measure at the time?

5 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

I recall Thistle had a capacity of 40,000 then this was halved hence us only getting 20,000 on our return to the top flight in 1992/93.  I'm not sure if this would have been a council measure at the time?

Probably a wise move on corporation's behalf, you lot had previous on that sort of thing ;)...

Saturday 21st August 1909

1909082101.jpg

Thursday 2nd September 1909

1909090203.jpg

Friday 17th September 1909

1909091701.jpg